Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Grease gland issues...maybe...

CaptainClueless

Cavy Slave
Firstly, I'm a total noob. I have owned guinea pigs in the past and we currently have one that was a rescue...sort of. We hadn't planned on getting the little fella. I've perused this forum for about 30 mins and I had no idea that people had giant cages for their piggies and used fleece for bedding. So, you know where I'm coming from.

Anywho, I was holding my piggie and I noticed blood on my pants. I checked his back (down by his hiney) and saw a growth that appears to have bled some. He doesn't act like it is sore at all. I would estimate the size to be around that of a marble.

After googling around for a while I discovered that he has a grease glad back there. I have never noticed it before, but I have never gone looking for it either. I had noticed that it felt...not dry on this piggie and my piggies in the past, but I assumed it was dirt or something. If it hadn't been for the blood, I wouldn't have ever looked.

Soooooo...any thoughts about what to do? I plan to wash him up and get a better look at what is going on. I was going to put neosporin on it and try to get in with a vet.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put neosporin on it because he'll just lick it off. Do you know how old he is?

CaptainClueless

Cavy Slave
I sure don't. At least a couple years old.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
He could also be impacted. Do a search of impaction and it should tell you how to do it.

cam767

Cavy Slave
I would definitely clean the area. How much blood was there? I would call a vet. Even if it turns out to be nothing you will want to get him checked to make sure he's healthy. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Grease glands usually don't bleed. I did have a guinea pig once who had a cyst on his, though. If it's bleeding he probably needs to be seen by a vet.

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
I just went thru a similar thing with my male. He developed a sebaceous cyst right above where his little tail would be. I didn't even notice until he started loosing hair on each side of his rump in 2 bloody patches. I thought my other fairly new young male was nipping at him until one day I saw him turn around and grab a hunk of fur and rip it out. I took him to the vet who discovered the ruptured cyst. It was so sore he cried and tried to nip when the area was palpated. Cysts will open up and drain and unfortunately they can keep coming back by filling up again and again until the entire cyst capsule is removed surgically. I had to put my boy on a 14 day course of antibiotics. I think your best bet is a trip to the vet to make sure it is not infected and what the best way to treat it is.
(You might also want to look in the medical section here and on Guinea Lynx, but I am pretty sure I read several posts by Ly and others that recommend using neosporin and diluted betadine on wounds. Guinea Lynx also says it's OK to use neosporin sparingly when absolutely necessary. I have both in my emergency piggy kit) Good Luck.

CaptainClueless

Cavy Slave
I have pictures. They aren't great.

We see the vet on Friday. The blood isn't much and it is around the base of the thing - like it is separating.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.