Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps PVC for ramp/tunnel question.

KatieT

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I was looking through the pictures in the photo gallery and noticed some cages with PVC piping on the outside of the cage as a ramp/tunnel. I really would love to do this because I'm planning a cage total makeover and that is such a great way to maximize space!! My question is...what could be used inside the pipe for traction? I thought about the black soft plastic piping that has the ridges in it, but that would be too hard to clean, I imagine. I'm thinking I would drill a few holes in the top and sides of the PVC to secure it to the grids, and insert something that can just be slid out to clean. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I bought PVC pipes for tunnels in the 4" size, as recommended on this site's home page and only our baby pig could fit in it. He is almost to big for it now, so keep that in mind too. We're currently looking for a place that has bigger pipes and will let us buy a foot at a time.

For traction, I'm thinking that rubber net-like shelf liner stuff that you can also put under a carpet to make it skid proof.

KatieT

Cavy Slave
I looked on Home Depot's website and Lowes website and the only thing bigger than 4" I could find was 6" elbows and "T"s. My piggies def. can't fit through a 4" hole comfortably! :) I'll keep this in mind, though! Thanks!

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
If you're afraid your pigs wont fit through it, you can do ramps with bent grids. You make it "U" shaped and use two, one over the other to make a "tunnel". Be careful when bending, you will see a soldering spot, this is the side NOT to be bent.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
I used drainage pipe from Lowes and it works great. I have it attached to the grid so I just take the grid out with it attached when I clean the cage and spray it down with my cage cleaner, let it sit for a while then spray it out with the hose. The hole is 4 inches. My Daisy isn't huge, but she's over a year old and she runs up and down it without any problem.

C&C cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use a fleece runner inside my PVC pipe for traction. The pipe is on the outside of the cage, so there are also two PVC elbows that go into the sides of the cage. The elbows have a couple of strips of tape with a fine grit on them for traction, and are easily wiped out. The runner has mattress pad sewed to the fleece and is about 4 inches longer than the tube. I just fold the excess over each end of the tube and insert the tube back in the elbows, and it stays just fine -- gives good traction and is easily removed for cleaning.

I do support the tube with bungee cords so there's no danger of it falling, and I sawed a 1.5 inch-wide slot down the entire length of it so I could get any stuck piggies out easily.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I originally made my cage with a 4" PVC pipe ramp. None of them would use it. I couldn't figure out what to line it with to easily clean it. I switched to a regular ramp and finally decided to get rid of the second level. It was hard to get under it to clean.

KatieT

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your suggestions! I think if I decide to do a PVC tunnel, I'll use those rubber-ish shelf liner stuff and fleece. I'll be on the lookout for a large tube. I'm starting to think that I'll just stick with the ramp for now!! :)

Wendy F

Cavy Slave
I used the 4" PVC piping as well only I cut in in half, length wise, and lined it with felt for traction for them. Only one uses it and won't come down it. :sad:

KatieT

Cavy Slave
I used the 4" PVC piping as well only I cut in in half, length wise, and lined it with felt for traction for them. Only one uses it and won't come down it. :sad:

Oh no! Well, I hope they learn to go up and down it! It's such a great idea to use piping, but I don't think mine would use it either. I can imagine how scary it must look to them!! lol LOVE the profile pic by the way!! So cute! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.