Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here and recently new to guinea pigs!

bernieandgusgus

Cavy Slave
Hi there. My name is April and I recently adopted 2 male guinea pigs - Bernie (dark brown) and Gus Gus (brown & white). I've had them just over a month now and I am in love! I'm constantly thinking of them and what I can do to improve their cage, new toys I can introduce, new comfy things for the cage, what new veggies to try them on, etc. They definitely have me wrapped around their little fingers. lol We are still getting used to each other. Bernie is very timid and skittish, but so sweet and seems to be really enjoying lap time...and he LOVES his veggies. Gus Gus is my wild child. He wants to explore everything! Floortime is hysterical with him - except for when he tries to escape. He is not a big fan of veggies yet. When he watches Bernie chow down, he'll nibble on some things, but he has yet to finish anything! He's a bit younger than Bernie and it's so interesting to see the different personalities and behavior of the two.

Sadly, I got them at Petsmart. I found this website weeks after bringing them home and I immediately felt sick. I never even thought about guinea pig breeders and I feel so ignorant for never realizing the issue. I hate to think of the two guinea pigs that have now had to take my piggies place in the cage at that store. I cannot imagine my life without Bernie and Gus Gus, but I do wish I would have adopted them in a different way.

This week, I checked petfinder.com for available guinea pigs in my area. There are currently two at the local humane society. I rearranged my space yesterday to see if it would be at all possible to bring home those two guys as well. My only option would be to have a stacked cage because I don't have a lot of room to expand out. I currently have Bernie & Gus Gus in a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft (which Gus Gus loves and Bernie is afraid to try the ramp!). With rearranging my space, I can extend their cage to a 2x5, but that's as big as I can go right now. For those of you that have a stacked cage - how well does it work?

Funny story - I've been thinking about the two guinea pigs at the humane society all week. Today, I even tried to find a home for them after Thanksgiving dinner! A friend of my mom's came and she recently lost her bird and is looking for a new small pet. I highly recommended guinea pigs and told her about the two at the humane society - so I'm hoping she might go look at them!

I didn't mean to go on and on - I just wanted to introduce myself and my two little guys. I also want to thank you guys for this website and for making me and so many others aware. You are doing a great thing.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful!! Welcome!!!

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Watch out, guinea pigs are addicting! I'm sure you're going to be scolded for buying them at a pet store, but I too made the same "mistake" when I first got my piggies. I use the term mistake lightly because they were the best piggies a mommy could ask for. You now know for next time but since we can't change the past you have given 2 adorable pigs a better home than the one they had back at the pet store. Have fun with your cage and your new piggies!

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Omg they are cute!! I totally crack for Bernie!
Welcome to the site! Don't worry, now you know about petshops. I did same with my first piggy. I then adopted :D
I'm sure you will be a very good mother for them
Post more pics! we love it!
You will find all you need here to have perfectly healthy and happy pigs.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Hi & welcome! About the ramp scared piggy, try making the ramp as wide & sturdy as possible, and with a ramp cover. Just sew fleece into a tube or with velcro straps & put it over the ramp. It will be much less scary when it's cosy & they can't look down. Pigs are often afraid of heights you see. lol

bernieandgusgus

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the welcome and kind words. I have definitely already experienced the guinea pig "addiction" lol And thank you for the tip on the ramp! I'm working on a cover now. :)

cam767

Cavy Slave
Welcome! We've all made the mistakes of getting an animal from a pet store (be it a dog, cat, bird, pig, reptile, etc.). Don't beat yourself up about it. Next time you will think twice and adopt and you've already started to spread the word about adoption to friends. That's a great thing!
Your pigs are so cute and they sound adorable. It sure does sound like they have you wrapped around their little fingers. lol Let us know if you have any questions. The members here are great about answering questions.

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
Bernie and Gus Gus are adorable. Be careful. Guinea pigs are very addictive. Once they have stolen your heart you are a cavy slave for life. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.