Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Update - Save Toby

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Did any of you all see the CNN report the other day on that website, (broken link removed) ? CNN apparently picked up the story from another news channel. The news investigators apparently talked to the company that provides the website server, Arizona something or other, who said they would not pull the website down, as "it's not illegal to kill rabbits." The creator of the site is actually 2 guys, who refused to be interviewed on camera, but they did do a phone interview. The co-creators denied that the website is a joke or hoax, and stated that they fully intend to eat Toby if they don't get fifty thousand dollars.

Whether or not those voices were real, I have no idea; but even if they were fake, I still think the whole thing is sick.

The news story did say that PayPal and CafePress have shut down payment services for the website due to the number of complaints they received, so good for all of us that complained, I guess.

<sigh> What is wrong with people?

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
Why do people make such a fuss about this when most of them eat meat themselves? Even if it's real, he probably had a better life than whats between their hamburger..

Actually, rabbits do taste great to be honest.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
the issue here is not about eating meat. It is the fact that this is a "pet" rabbit, and I use that term losely, that is being used to gain money. It is sick. It would be no different (morally) if this were a cat or a dog. We also eat rabbits over here, and yes they taste great, but they are not domesticated rabbits. They are wild hares. I can't believe that nothing is being done about this. I can understand that it is not illegal to kill rabbits, but their must be something illegal in basically holding a rabbit for ramson. This to me is pure extortion against people who love animals. These people knew that some people out there would give them money, even if they thought it was a joke.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
GuineaPigz - I realize that the website is most likely a hoax. I was simply pointing out what the CNN news story covered.

ParanoidEv - I think that most of the people who are "making a fuss" about this are upset because of the blatant extortion and emotional manipulation . People also tend to equate rabbits with pets, rather than food, which is another reason people are making a fuss about it. And some of us making a fuss are, in fact, vegetarian - like me.

It is wrong to threaten harm to someone or something unless money is paid out. And even if these individuals have no intention of killing and eating this rabbit, they are still profiting from the threat of doing so. I, personally, think it's very sick.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It is very sick. And being a vegitarian as well, I feel I have the right to say that is wrong.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
Ofcourse I know it's absolutely wrong to threat with things like this, and that it isn't good. But there are a lot worse things happening to animals, and a lot of people just ignore that while they think this is unacceptable. Imagine what you could do for a lot of animals with that 20000 dollars..

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
i am also a vegetarian, and i am sick to my stomche right now.
That is why animals are being treated the way they are today . . .being killled in the MILLIONS for testing, as well as being euthanized (i hate when people try to make the word KILL sound nicer!!!!!) in animal shelters!
the only reason in because they are treated as property!!! We supposedly OWN living things. I mean, doesn't that make you think of slavery just a bit? I know it is really not the same thing, but it might as well be as far as i am concerned!!!!

laura220

Cavy Slave

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
BonsaiKitten has been around for years. It's a joke. A bad one but still a joke.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Thank goodness! I looked at the guestbook though where people wrote things like "I love this site" etc. etc. It must have been friends or themselves who wrote them except the few that said "that's disgusting you sick sick oriental people!".

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I'm not a vegetarian, however, I think the exploitation of Toby is completely unacceptable. It's not about eating him (though that' horrible), it's about the exploitation of a life. It's about the blackmail (which is illegal). It's about extortion (which is also illegal). You don't exploit a life be it animal or human.

Cavies4eva
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
even is he was serious I would not give him any money. That just shows him the he can get away with this type of thing and he will be more likely to do it again. Its pure extortion whether its true or not and I don't give into threats very well. I would feel terrible, but I would know that I didn't help support this type of thing.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
wow. If someone can get fun out of making websites like this - they must have no life! Poor bunny.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.