Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Combining two C&C cages

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Currently, I have two 2X5 cages with two pigs in each. I'd like to eventually combine the two into one L-shaped cage so that all 4 can live together.

The question is, what I can use to connect the two cages? I was thinking about pushing the sides of each cage together so they touch and taking down one of the grids and putting a bent grid over the coroplast to create a kind of bridge between the two. The problem is the logistics of it. Would this work? Is there a better/easier way?

Has anyone else tried this before and maybe can give me some tips about this?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I have connected two 3x3s quite easily. All I did was take down the grids that separated them, cut off the tape that held the coroplast in the box shape, folded back down the coroplast, duck-taped it flat, then connected the outer grids. It was easy.

I'm not sure if I am answering your question correctly, though.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea. I hadn't though about combining the taped edges but I'm not sure how the tape thing would work as the tape holding the coroplast into a box shape is on the end of the coroplast and I would be combining one end to the side of the other in an L shape, rather than making it an extra long cage.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
You could use a shower curtain liner for the corner of the "L".

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm thinking of overlapping the cages so that the end of one meets the side of the other. That's why I mentioned my thought about a type of bridge they can climb over to get from one to the other. Unless I cut into the side of the coroplast, I can't really take it down to make it flat.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Oh, I get it now. That sounds like it would work. But why do you need a bridge? The bridge would really inhibit their zoomies. Can't you just cut down the wall where the cages overlap?

cam767

Cavy Slave
If you join the 2 cages than just remove the grids where they intersect. Use cable ties if you don't have connectors to connect the grids. Then take the coroplast sides and cut those down only where the opening of the cage is and lay it flat. Take strapping tape to the bottom to lay the coroplast flat. Then take strapping tape to connect the back side of the coroplast sides to hold them together and do the same where the L shape meets in the corner. Hope that helped some.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I can't join the two cages together and just remove the grids and flatten the coroplast. I've got a piggy bedspread over the coroplast so it has to remain in tact.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
I have a kitchen off the side of my original cage, to make it into an "L" shape - and the piggies climb over the coroplast to get to the kitchen. It isn't very high and I didn't want to cut my fleece out there - tried making a ramp, and then realized they weren't using it and just climbed/jumped over!
I think a better idea is cutting the area where both "meet" and taping it down.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Well, as I mentioned, I have a piggy bedspread so the coroplast is covered in fleece. I wouldn't be able to cut the coroplast and lay it flat. That's why I mentioned making a bridge of sorts, maybe out of two grids (one in each cage) zip-tied to the surrounding grids.

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
What if you were to cut the coroplast where they meet down to an inch or two so that you still have the edges for the piggy bedspread, but they'll be able to climb up and over. Else, I think having two bridges on either side would work. What I would do would be to fold two grids into thirds at 90º angles and then put handtowels and fleece over the flat grid bottom and zip tie them to the surrounding grids. That way, they still can go under the bridges to run around or can easily jump up, across, and down. Hope this helps!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can do something like this. Push the cages next to each other then add ramps on both sides. (click on the image to read more details)

CavyMom1970

Cavy Slave
The question is, what I can use to connect the two cages? I was thinking about pushing the sides of each cage together so they touch and taking down one of the grids and putting a bent grid over the coroplast to create a kind of bridge between the two. The problem is the logistics of it. Would this work? Is there a better/easier way?

I suggest your original idea, but don't take down the grids. Instead, keep a grid length space between the one pushed up against the one pushed furthest into corner. Then build up a 1x2 loft. This will connect the two cages, plus it will give you a space below it to put a storage hamper or box.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
This, in my opinion, would be best since you can't cut the coro.

Take 3 grids. Use one as a "platform that will go over the edges of the coro. Then connect the other two to each side and let them fall at an angle. Cover them to be safe.

I think this is the best way because the ramp with the platform is less stressful on them. It also would be an easier transition so they really could still zoomie over the ramp and not worry about space or slipping and falling. Also, mine LOVE little platform type things. I think it makes them feel special.

Mine have run laps in similar situations. As long as the angle is gradual enough it wont really get in the way.

Edit: I also like CavyMom's idea! It is kind of a cool spin on the situation.

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
You can do something like this. Push the cages next to each other then add ramps on both sides. (click on the image to read more details)]

Yeah, that's my cage and it's been working out GREAT!

It would work fine for an L-shaped cage too... there is ample room at the "landing" for each ramp if it was in a 2 grid wide area. I have fabric that runs over both ramps and the connection between the cages - so there is no "gap" as far as the pigs can tell.

One of the coolest aspects I find about about my connected cage is that I can block off the connection between the two cages to clean each half at once time without piggies investigating and pooping under the new liner I'm trying to put in - makes things much easier on me :)

The pigs do run laps through the ENTIRE thing.. it's really funny to watch them run up and down the ramp and all over the place.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, I had a new question about the ramp between the cages.  What kinds of things do people use to create traction on the ramps?  I'm going to be using grids as the ramps themselves but what I can cover them with to make a gripping surface for the pigs to walk on?  What have people used that works? The ramps will most likely remain flat (unless I find that bending them works better for my set up).  My other question was, once you had something to cover the ramps with, what did you use to attach it to the ramp itself?

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can use cable ties to attach coroplast to the grid ramp and then sew a fleece pad with velcro on it (the size of the ramp) to attach to the ramp. That's how I made the ramp to my second level.  The fleece is washable so I made two sets and would swap them on laundry day.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Sewing isn't really an option for me.  I was planning to use a grid as the ramp by zip tying it to the upright grids of the cage walls.  As for the cover of the ramp...that's what I'm not sure of.  Maybe hole-punching them and zip tying to the ramp itself.

CavyMom1970

Cavy Slave
I zip tie coro to the grids, then use the clear/ridged plastic found in the cabinet lining section. I hot glue the liner to the coro. The glue dries really fast on it and sticks extremely well. Do not buy the black ridged outdoor material found in the carpet area because the glue doesn't stick well. The point of gluing and not zip ties because I would always be afraid of their little feet getting caught on the tie. The plastic covers the ties. I clean them with a small hand broom and wash down when needed. I find my boys poop on them but don't pee. You can also lay fleece over the liner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.