Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Barnaby Chirping.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is he your dominant pig? All of my chirpers have been my dominant pig at the time and chirped when they were scared and seemed to be warning the others. The video is great!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
He actually is the Bottom pig. It was weird, Ernie the Boss pig acted as if he didn't hear a thing, he kept on doing what he was doing. I couldn't tell about Grover though, he was already in his house.

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's really interesting. I don't think anyone has ever figured out why they chirp. My neutered male is the only male I've ever had that chirped. The other three were females and I've never had another chirp as long as the current chirper was alive. I've watched them do it and the sound seemed to come from their throat. I could see movement of their throat, but no movement of their mouth at all. They all had a unique chirp. I had one that sounded like a canary.. really pretty sound. What startled him? I had one chirp for the first time at night but the others started in the evening. My others always froze when they heard chirping. Only my dominant pigs have chirped.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I think for sure it was because he was terrified.
I startled him actually, their cage is in the computer room and I turned on my computer chair, not even fast and he ran. But that happens sometimes, so like usual I talked to him saying "It's just me lil buddy". I even offered him a piece of Timothy which he loves and he wouldn't take it. Then he went under the ramp and started the chirping. Right after the video stops I stepped into the cage and he stopped chirping and he let me pick him up. I then snuggled him for a bit and when I put him back in the cage he was back to himself, eating.
It is crazy, since I've never heard any pig of mine chirp before.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
I just have to say it seems to have scared my pigs! They just stopped moving and were very attentive.
Poor Barnaby, he really sound scared :( They can be so nervous sometimes.
I've always thought when people were talking about chirping it was a happy sound. I was wrong apprently.
If he let you take him it's a good sign how he trusts you.

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
I've never heard that from my boys. I am so glad you got it on tape, now I know what it sounds like. When I played the video, my boys were munching on their veggies. They stopped, froze and stared at me till the video stopped. Then they started eating again.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
Archie was farr from happy when he heard this! He took off and hid in his pigloo. =/
Poor little Barnaby.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Wow, he chirps for AGES!

It scared StandsForTreats when he heard it, too - he's still in his little wooden house!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
That is funny all your pigs were effected by it, yet my boys acted as if it wasn't happening at all.

sarahczspots

Cavy Slave
Wow that's a really weird sound. Chubs was half asleep before I started playing it and jumped straight up and at me when I started it. He lives as a lone pig right now so I think it surprised him to hear his own language, especially a scared voice. :(

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
lol only one of my girls chirp and I have no idea which one it is! they only have chirped a few times and it is always in the morning when the birds are waking up outside! As soon as I move they stop. So I have a video too but its me literally laying in my bed and you can just hear here not see her! I wish I could see them while they do it like you did! Mine aren't scared at all when they do it. Pigs are weird! lol Great video!

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
My new pig Charlie just NOW did this noise and it reminded me of Barnaby. She was sitting in her littler box just chirping away and chirped for maybe a minute straight. This is the first time I've heard either of my pigs chirp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.