Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Pigs scared of Ramp

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I just installed a second story kitchen to hopeful contain some of the mess from the hay and poop :) lol but the piggys seem to be afraid of the ramp.

I was wondering if your pigs were afraid of the ramp at first and what you did to convince them they wont fall to their death on it.

Any help would be great!

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Doby was scared but I've bait him up with veggies.
MrWilson is too scared so I changed it into a stair. But I suspect his nails problems he had when I got him did something bad on his toes.
But a trail of veggies or making him run after it might be a good idea.
You have sides to it? If not you want to have sides so they aren't scared of falling down.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Theres sides to it, I'll go try the veggies as bait and see how it goes.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
My girls didn't like a straight ramp unless it was long (at least 3 grids long) and sides on the entire ramp. I ended up making a switchback ramp and they LOVE it!

Old Ramp

DSCN4515.JPG

New ramp

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just give them time. I added some veggies up the ramp but all four of mine took different amounts of time to go up there. One of them seemed as though she'd never go up there but she eventually did, too.

abravo

Cavy Slave
My piggies will only go up the ramp if it is covered (like a tunnel). Try putting a scrap piece of fleece over the top and see what happens.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
Sorry what is a switchback ramp? How would I make one?

You can see it in the picture, but basically it starts up one way and then there is a platform to turn the corner and the ramp switches back up the other direction, so it is a very gradual incline and easy for the piggies to run up and down it. I could try tp explain it, but taking detailed pictures might be easier. Let me know if you want details. I have some other views of my ramp in the photos, just do a search for switch back ramp.

My girls love running on t and turning the corner. It takes about 9 grids to make one (miner has 10 because my son insisted that they might try to scale the wall, but I don't think they could or would).

pinkingofyou

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem and my pig wouldn't respond to being baited either. I would maybe making a longer ramp so it's not a steep incline but I can't be much of a help since it's a problem for me also.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I took out my second level yesterday. It's been such a pain to clean under and the ramp took up a lot of space. They did go up there sometimes but it seemed to be for more of a vantage point when treats were on their way. Aside from that, they didn't go up there a lot. I wasn't sure how they would react but I laughed when they acted like they were in a brand new cage.... I noticed a couple of them running laps which they haven't done since I put the ramp in so I think it was a good idea. When I have more time, I might add another grid to the cage length.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I bribed mine with food too and made a step to ensure the ramp was not too steep. It has a railing on both sides and I have covered it with fleece and they run up and down all the time. Parsley was my trick to the ramps and them not being too steep. Hope you find a way to get them comfortable with them. :)

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
If you ever do decide to do a loft again, I used a drainage pipe from home depot. I put it in the cage for a day and they explored it and would run in and out of it so when I attached it to the loft, they went straight up it because they were use to it (and piggies love tunnels:))

I also made the grids under my loft close with binder clips so I can just let those two grids open to clean it out....made a world of difference. I posted pictures last night under Open Cages Multi Level. It took A LOT of trial and error to get to this point, but after 6 months I can finally say I am happy with it.

Good luck with your design!

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
I took out my second level yesterday. It's been such a pain to clean under and the ramp took up a lot of space. They did go up there sometimes but it seemed to be for more of a vantage point when treats were on their way. Aside from that, they didn't go up there a lot. I wasn't sure how they would react but I laughed when they acted like they were in a brand new cage.... I noticed a couple of them running laps which they haven't done since I put the ramp in so I think it was a good idea. When I have more time, I might add another grid to the cage length.

I had to take down my upper level too, but not for the same reasons...my two new adopted girls were fine with the ramps and going up and down, but Kerri did NOT want anyone else up there and she was fighting with everyone (even Shauna) who tried to go on the upper level. I had to block it off and the fighting stopped. The next day we took down the upper level and added the space to the bottom level and re-arranged everything. All the girls get along now, there hasn't been any problems since we took it down.:)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
My girls also had issues with it at first, so I put the hay in both the hay loft & bottom level until they got used to it. After three weeks of continously putting them upstairs everyday, and in the middle of the ramp thay started going up on their own. Make sure there's something interesting or tasty only upstairs to give them motivation.

Still, they don't really like it so I just made a ramp cover in fleece. Now they use it to get the speed up for their zoomies! :D Be patient, they'll come around eventually.

piggy love

Cavy Slave
I no longer use a second story but a few times i put my girls on the ramp and gave them a very small tap on the butt and they ran up the ramp thinking i was going to hold them! It only took a few times and they learned the ramp is not scary.

Wendy F

Cavy Slave
One of my boys loves going up the ramp, but will not come down. lol And the other won't go near it. I wanted to have the liter box and kitchen up on the second level but Chester won't do it. And Nibbles will go up but not come down to eat unless I put him down on the lower level. I may try the drain pipe and see if that helps any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.