Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Need traveling tips for my piggies!

boarmommy

Cavy Slave
Hello Everybody
My boyfriend and I want to travel home to his family in Xmas. We will stay about two weeks. The thing is that we want to bring our Peruvian piggies with us and they will have a huge temporary cage waiting for them there. The thing is that the distance from Oslo (Norway) to his home town is about 10 hours drive. We don't drive so we are thinking to take the train or the bus there. But it is quite far and very long journey and this will be the first time our piggies will travel. There is no possibility for them to travel in their cage since it's huge (about 18 square feet) I am quite nervous that it will be too stressful and I want to make it as nice and comfortable as possible for my babies. Money is no issue regarding equipment/extra cages I might need to buy in order to make the trip as smooth as possible, flying there is also an option but I assumed it would be too much for them. So please feel free to share your best traveling tips for piggies with me! Thank you in behalf of Gnuk and Caramelo <3

Wonder Piggy

Cavy Slave
You could try a dog crate with towels or fleece and add food, water, and their favorite cozie. That's what we do to go to the vet, but I'm not sure they would be happy in the crate for 10 hours. Especially since they are used to a large area to run around. The best of luck to you.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
That really is a very long drive. When we moved from Minnesota to Southern California, we drove for four days (we stopped at night, of course), and the pigs did alright. I'm sure they weren't very comfortable, though.

10 hours, non-stop, though, is quite a lot. I really don't recommend that. Is there anyone who can take care of them whie you're away?

Consider whether your pigs are old or young and whether you think they can handle the stress. It will undoubtedly be pretty uncomfortable for them, but if you really must take them, I recommend you get a dog carrier like THIS one. You'll need to bring plenty of hay and pellets and veggies and water. Have a few towels down in the carrier along with a good pile of hay, a small water bottle, and a small bowl with pellets. You can pre-wash and portion your veggies so that you can put them in a container all ready to go and just give it to the pigs.

Try to find ways to incorporate stops and rest periods so they don't get too over-extended. You'll have to bring enough supplies for the way back, too.

Good luck!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have never traveled more than a couple of hours with my piggies but honestly, they didn't seem stressed at all. My rabbits, on the other hand, would probably freak out.
Driving/taking a train is much better than flying, in my opinion, I think they'd get fairly stressed if they flew. I like the idea of a dog crate, but make sure it is covered. Your pigs will probably want to hide. Just make sure they have plenty of food and water. They may not drink water from a water bottle so it's a good idea to bring veggies to keep them well-hydrated.

ojars

Cavy Slave
We have done 4 hours with Buddy and Billy. They like towels to hide under. From time to time one rides up front in the shotgun lap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.