Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, from Jen, Annie and Clarabelle

Jenerev

Cavy Slave
I'd like to introduce myself...My name is Jen and I am a new mommy of two adorable guinea pigs, Annie and Clarabelle. I wanted to thank the creators of this site as well as those who keep it updated and full of such wonderful information. I read it for a week before actually making the decision to become a mommy.
The food list is a great thing to have and I use it regularly and am sure I will quickly learn and not have to keep referring to it.
My husband just built a cage and I'm going out today to find Coroplast to finish it off. The girls just love it! I also have a large, two-story cage on it's way from an online purchase site. It's also made of grids and coroplast...are these the cages that are referred to as C&C cages? I have a lot to learn.
My girls are already asserting themselves and will not use the neat hay balls or bins. They like their hay put into a trough-like dish (it's a cute carrot dish) so they can dig around and pick and choose the pieces. I have to fill it twice a day but if that's what they want...
I have tried floor time with them several times and they just do not seem to like being out of their cage. They both huddle in various tubes and sacks or they run around to the boundary edges looking up at me and squealing really loudly. Once they are back in their cage, they popcorn and eat like crazy. Yes, I do put food and water out for them when they are at floor time. Does anyone else out there have this issue? I'm going to keep trying floor time and maybe they'll get used to it.
Well, it's nice to meet everyone. Thanks for a great site for info on my new piggies!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! This is the first site I came to when I got my computer and wanted a bigger cage for my girls. I kept buying bigger and bigger pet store cages. lol Now look at what I have , 8 piggies and three cages.

Jenerev

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome. These little guys are surely addicting! I can't stop working on play areas and such for them! It's back to my job tomorrow...what am I going to do?!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Haha!! Can't help you there. I kept changing my cages at first. Still do. I need to make a second floor. And the boys cage I want to make bigger and add a second floor to that as well. I CAN'T STOP!!lol

Last edited:

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Welcome!!!! Congrats on your piggies ;)

As for floortime, I had that problem for weeks, but when they came out of their shell finally, it was WONDERFUL. They were running about popcorning. And now they race out of their cage whenever I open the door. Just give them plenty of time :)

Jenerev

Cavy Slave
I think I'll be okay with not totally changing their cages, but making bigger and better ones is fun because they LOVE them!

I have a situation that maybe you can help me with. I don't know where to post it, but that's ok because I might get in trouble for supporting a pet store from everyone. Here's the situation. I live in a very small town in rural PA. I go into a privately-owned pet store to buy my food and bedding. They have an adult male guinea pig in a small cage with a very low price on him. When I asked about him they told me he was a breeder and they wanted to sell him. He has been in this tiny cage, on the floor about 20 feet directly in front of the door. All he has in his cage are some wood chips, water and a dish of pellets. My heart aches for this guy. If I'd bring him home maybe I could find a home for him but then I'd be supporting the store and another would just take his place. Hmmmm...what to do?!

Jenerev

Cavy Slave
Thanks Fresian.M! I will keep trying! I have a new set-up for their floor time space and maybe that will help.

cam767

Cavy Slave
Welcome! This is a great site to learn all about these amazing animals. Your pigs will eventually get used to floor time. It's natural for them to hide since they are prey animals. If you can you may want to sit on the floor next to them or even in the area with them. My sons do this and they always have a sprig of cilantro, parsley, or carrot to give them. It helps to get them to come out of the hideys. Then of course we are always switching up their floor time stuff so that they feel the need to investigate. My 2 are NOT runners so I figure if they are at least walking around they are getting some exercise. lol

Jenerev

Cavy Slave
We always have someone sitting on the floor with them but having a snack in our hands is a great idea!
I may also keep the hideys out of floor time sometimes.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I don't know where to post it, but that's ok because I might get in trouble for supporting a pet store from everyone. Here's the situation. I live in a very small town in rural PA. I go into a privately-owned pet store to buy my food and bedding. They have an adult male guinea pig in a small cage with a very low price on him. When I asked about him they told me he was a breeder and they wanted to sell him. He has been in this tiny cage, on the floor about 20 feet directly in front of the door. All he has in his cage are some wood chips, water and a dish of pellets. My heart aches for this guy. If I'd bring him home maybe I could find a home for him but then I'd be supporting the store and another would just take his place. Hmmmm...what to do?!

Welcome to the site! It's a great source of information!

Does the pet store normally sell guinea pigs or other small pets? If not, maybe the owner would let you have him for free? At the moment, he's costing the store money... I'm not sure if this counts as buying from a pet store, my logic was that if they don't normally sell animals, there wouldn't be another taking his place and maybe they'd be happy to have a good home for their little "liability"? Poor thing!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.