Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Killing Cats

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm thinking this isn't the best solution to the problem.
(broken link removed)

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Thats horrible. What if they shot someones pet?

synesthesia

Cavy Slave
That's what I was wondering.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Do they just say "oops" and go out and shoot another cat?

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
I think in Australia you can hunt feral cats but you have to get licenses or something. I may be wrong.

Thats actually a very wrong thing, shooting indiscrimantly at cats, imagine the old guy next door with a loathing of cats shooting your new cat saying he thought it was stray. How is that ever going to get passed? how could anyone vote yes for it?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
6,000 some people did say yes opposed to 5,000 some saying no :(

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
That's horrible. I can't imagine if that was my cat. I hope it dosn't become law.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure where but there is a state where it is legal to shoot stray cats.

Access

Cavy Slave
Shooting a gun in a city is always dangerous. Most cities have a law prohibiting the discharging of firearms (anything beyond a paintball gun, airsoft gun, 4.5mm BB/pellet air gun, etc.) within city limits. Any time you fire a gun in a city, you are creating a real hazard that could result in the death of a bystander or other innocent victim.

I don't know if the article is actually refering to shooting the cats or not, but common sense dictates that one wouldn't shoot cats in the city in the first place. More likely I think the hunters would use traps or a device like a blowgun / dart gun designed for use on animals of that size (like the "guns" some zookeepers have that fire tranquilizer darts).

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I'm gald I don't live there. I'd be in tears. My indoor cats have escaped before (for no more than a couple minutes I assure you. Pesky little critters) and even though they have collars with tags it is possible for a cat to lose it's collar. That's why microchipping is popular in conjuction with a collar. Even though you can't see the chip the cat can't lose it.

What happens when they shoot a chipped cat? That proves it's a pet. Are they just going to say oops and be on thier way. I can see big lawsuits happaning.

The song bird explination makes no sense. A couple starys cannot bring down an entire state's song bird population. Song birds belong to an eco system. They must have natural preditors to keep thier numbers in check or they will over populate and compete with other animals for food. Other animals eat birds. Heck some birds eat birds. Why don't we shoot seagulls while we're at it. They eat birds too.

Sometimes I wonder about politicians. Don't they have something better to do, like helping the poor or making the state more efficient.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Although I do not agree with this, from experience I can say that the problem itself does make sense. Around 20 years ago we had a severe problem with wild dogs in our area that have been in the wild for at least a couple of generations. These dogs were not part of our natural ecosystem because man had put them there. Well, they began killing off animals like foxes and raccoon, along with large animals like deer. It was not legal to shoot them, but nothing was done if you did shoot one. They were a severe treat to our animal population. Well, all the wild dogs are now gone, but about 1 month ago the local SPCA went to a local reserve and captured over 40 dogs who were all euthanized shortly after. These dogs had no actually hurt anyone, but they scared people. All i'm trying to say is that this type of stuff happens all of the time, but it is not usually passed into law. Also, nowadays, if their truly is a problem, the spca should be handeling it, not local hunters.

The reason that we don't shoot other animals that kill birds is because they are part of that ecosystem. Domesticated cats are not. They were introduced by us. It can be very harmful to many species of animals and plants any time that there is an overbundounce of animals that are not native to that particular area. I an not sure how big this problem is, but I know that we had at least a few hundred wild dogs at that point and that many animals can cause a severe problem.

I am not trying to condone what they are doing at all, because I think that there are much better ways to handle this situation, but it is quite common. It is a classic example of why spaying and neuturing animals is so important. This problem probably only started with a few strays that were not spayed and it continued to multiply.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Makes you wonder what kind of Government system we are working with doesn't it?

They are willing to pass a law to hunt and kill cats. YET, there is no talk whatsoever for passing a law to implement mandatory spay/neuter or to create stricter breeder licensing/regulation.

It seems to me that the only reason to have an unaltered cat or dog is to breed it. Therefore shouldn't all people that own unaltered pets be forced to pass a qualifying exam and buy an expensive breeder license with yearly licensing fees? Any unaltered pets who's owners do not have the appropriate and updated breeder's license should be subject to a hefty fine. I betcha if people were facing this type of barrier to own an unaltered pet they would choose the cheaper route of spay/neuter.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Not all unaltered pets are kept for breeding. Some people are afriad that their pet will become lazy when they alter it. Some people also show thier cats. I've been to a cat show or two. That cats seemed quite content to be lazy and pampered. I know my mom's cat would have loved it :) Not that the same applies to guinea pigs. I think some animals enjoy attention more than others.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Winning show cats/dogs are often bred. Thinking your pet will be lazy is just an excuse. I know some men who will not have their male dogs' neutered because they hate the idea of their own testicles being removed (pretty dumb equation huh?). I know that not all unaltered pets are bred but I still feel the same breeder status should apply.

I know I'm strict but look where being lax has gotten us.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Oh boy. This is gonna be ugly.

Everyone keeps saying "there are better ways to take care of the problem."

No one is saying what the "better way" is?

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
well, right now the only real solution is probably euthanization, but I don't believe they should be shooting them. The shelters are probably already overun with cats who are being euthanized because nobody wants them, so as much as I hate to say it, there is no good solution to this problem. However, to stop this type of thing from happening, spaying and neuturing are really the only solutions, but I am against the idea of having to say that we are "breeders" is we keep unaltered pets. I myself have 10 animals and all are fixed except for my 4 guinea pigs and my two oldest male dogs who are brothers. My male dogs are not breed and they have never seen a female dog in their life (besides my little terrier, who is spayed). I am not a breeder and I just didn't know any better, however, I would still not neuter them to keep them from breeding, because I do not breed. I would neuter them because one of my dog's has a terminal illness that is a direct consequence of him still being intact.
I have taken in stray cats all of my life and I am very pro-animal welfare and would be extremely upset if I were labelled a breeder, because this has already been done to me by the local SPCA. I wanted to foster homeless cats, but they said that "responsible" owners get their animals spayed/neutured, which I do agree with however, if situation is different. My dogs are now to old to neuter (11 years), so I will not be able to provide a temporary home for homeless cats until they pass away, which is such a morbid thought. So, basically I do agree 100% with spaying and neuturing, but just because someone doesn't do it doesn't mean that they are a breeder or an irresponsible owner.

Cavies4eva
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Actually I'm under the opinion that there are already too many dangers outside to let my cats out. This just worries me because what if an indoor cat escaped? They aren't very street smart and those cats would probably be the first to be shot. (My husband points out, How hard is it to remove a colar?)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
suzy_99 said:
I am very pro-animal welfare and would be extremely upset if I were labelled a breeder,

Suzy

I think you are taking this the wrong way. I willingly admitted that not all people that own unaltered animals breed. I certainly believe that a person that owns an unaltered animal can be a responsible owner. Unfortunately we are dealing with a multitude of irresponsible people that will allow their animals to breed if stricter rules are not enforced. After all how do you think the cat population got to be so out of control that people felt shooting them was a viable option?

Studies have proven that altered animals suffer less health risks, have the probability of living longer lives, are less aggressive and are less likely to roam. Therefore my opinion has not changed that the only reason to have an unaltered animal is to breed it. It only takes one accident to allow an unaltered animal out of a confined and safe setting and impregnation can occur.

Perhaps a compromise could be made. As you said, you didn't know any better" when you decided not to alter your dogs. Everyone's education on the animal overpopulation problem starts somewhere. I think it would be reasonable to give the owner of an unaltered/non-breeder licensed animal a fine and a warning with 2 options.

1. Pay the fine and have the owner and animal apply for a license and pay to register themselves and the animal as a breeder (even if the animal is never bred).

2. If the animal is altered then the fine will be waived if the surgery is done in the allotted time limit. The only option out of altering would be if an SPCA approved vet exam and waiver proves that altering is too risky because the animal is deemed too elderly or medically unfit for altering.

Like I said I’m strict in my views. Don’t take it personally. Besides I have been pushing this remedy to the animal overpopulation for years and while I have plenty of support we meet a lot of resistance when it comes to getting local government to listen. Most likely I will not see progress any time soon.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Baby Bears said:
Oh boy. This is gonna be ugly.

Everyone keeps saying "there are better ways to take care of the problem."

No one is saying what the "better way" is?

My community has seen great success in the spay/neuter/release program. In my city we have a major cat overpopulation problem. To deal with it we have implemented a program where humane traps are set out, feral and free roaming cats are caught. They are brought to the SPCA where they are scanned for microchips, tested, immunized, surgically altered and their ears are notched (all free of charge). Notching is where a notch is cut out or the tip of an ear of cut off to identify the cat as having already been altered.

The cats are then rereleased back into the neighborhood they came from. This way if an owned cat is accidentally trapped it can get back home...it’s just altered now...which it should have been anyway especially if it’s allowed to roam. Each neighborhood where the program is used must have people that have signed up to provide food for the cats (so they don’t starve or get sick).

Neighborhoods that have been using this program for a couple of years now have shown a marked cut-off in the number of feral cats. If we slow down one or two generations of cats’ breeding then time will naturally take care of the overpopulation problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.