Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Important? Big cage?

TigerzGirl

Cavy Slave
Ok so I was wondering,

I don't get around to floor time quite as much because I am trying to think of better ways to go about it and working on cleaning my room so my piggies cant get into as much stuff, since I don't want them on the new carpet downstairs too much in case of accidents....

BUT
I do have a pretty big cage, not C&C, and I'm not sure how to describe it...
Like 6 feet by 3 1/2 feet if i remember right, plus their old cage adds another 2 x 2 feet since its connected.
Plus today is the day i clean their cage and I have an idea to make it a few feet bigger.

So, my question is:
Is it OK that they don't get floor time as much since their cage is a good size?
I am planning on giving them more Floor time but I mean for now, is it OK for them?

P.S. I have 2 girls.

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
Floor time, while nice is nto CRITICAL. A guinea pig can live without floor time, if it absolutley can not get it. Even a couple minutes a day will work, if that is all you can do. You can put down an extra towel, blanket, newsapers, etc, so the accidents will not happen on the carpet.

However, if floor time just can not happen, please enrich your guinea pigs habitat. Add cozies, cuddle cups, bunkbeds, fiddlesticks, and other thing to get your pig up and moving around the cage. When I lived in a smaller house, I would cut up the lettuce, and place pieces all around the cage, including the second level, so my pigs would be motivated to move around. You also can move things around to keep it intresting.

Again, try to provide floor time, even if it is on blankets for a short period of time. Just remember if there is no floortime to make your pigs happy pigs.

Good luck :)

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
I love the idea about scattering pieces of lettuce around the cage. I am going to try this for my girls. It will be like a daily treasure hunt for them.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
More floor time does make for happier piggies. could you use some cheap plastic table cloths from a party store, shower curtain liners or plastic tarps to cover the carpet for more floor time w/o worrying about the carpet? you can make a "play pen" using cardboard panels taped together, or cube grinds ziptied together (bith fold up for easy storage. a play pen could also keep them out of truble in your room.

All that said my boys don't get along so they get floor time eveyother day, one at a time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.