Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best way to bend grids?

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to make a hay rack for the guinea pigs' new kitchen, but I've heard mixed reviews on bending the grids. I've heard anything from heat them up first and then bend them, to just step on them and pull. Does anyone who has made bent grid hay racks in the past have any advice? I've tried the galleries and forum searches, but came up mostly empty. Thanks in advance!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I've never heated anything, and would be kind of scared of hurting myself since it would be hot. As far as bending goes, you want to make sure that the smooth side is on the outside of the bend. You obviously can feel where the cross bars are on one of the sides, that's the one you need to put against the object you are using to help you bed. You want the smooth side towards you if you are pushing, if you are pulling (like by using a shoe or something) then the smooth side should be facing the ground.

For me I used something in my house, actually a wall. The end of the wall is about the size of a two by four. If you have something like that in your house, use that, if not maybe use an actual two by four or shoe. I can take a picture for you of what I used in my house, if you ask for one.

I hope that makes sense!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I wanted to mention that you should bend it closed enough that the GP cannot get into it. I know some members have had problems with their GPs jumping up into it and laying there/getting stuck.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the input! I'll give that a try. I'm going to add some zip ties all the way across on the open sides so that nobody can jump anywhere. That probably doesn't make any sense because it's 4:30 AM here, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Once I get this grid bent, I'll post pictures and try to make it a little more clear. Thanks for the offer on the pictures, at this point I don't think I'll be necessary but if I can't figure this out I may take you up on that later.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I got it all figured out. I accidentally snapped one of the outer, thicker pieces, but I had those little rubber caps left form when I added a lid, so I just put those on and secured them so that the pigs couldn't pull them off. If you'd like to see the zip ties up the sides to keep the pigs from hopping in, I'd be glad to take a picture.

How I ended up bending them: sat on the boyfriend's big, heavy toolbox and pulled up. This beat out previous attempts of pushing against the corner of a wall, the edge of a table, and my foot.

Thanks again for the help!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Make sure you cut the end of those ties off as close as you can, if the piggies can get at them sometimes they will chew them and that would not be good. :)

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tip! They're cut as close as possible and I tried to have the ends come out where the pigs can't reach them to chew anyway. So far everything's great! Only problem is, I'm almost out of hay.... a hay rack with no hay? What is this madness? Off to the store!

loveurpetalways

Cavy Gazer
I've made tons of hay racks for my piggies! I just take a flat grid, place it on the floor, put my foot on one side of it, and bend :)
Works for me and seems to me to be the easiest.
Heating? How in the world would you heat a grid? Lol never herd of that.
I've herd of these soft hay racks you can purchase at Jens Custom Crafts! They're made out of fabric and if your piggies head were to get stuck- well it wouldn't! They're also a more safe alternative to the wired hay racks.
Hahaha indeed with a hay rack you need some more hay. Perfect example of madness for a piggy (they sure love hay don't they).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.