PDA

View Full Version : Cage Unsure/confused...

Gforce99
11-04-10, 11:05 am
this whole cage thing has me kinda baffled..lol.

right now we have him in the cage he came in, way to small. It is lined with news paper, then cedar (which I now know that one, isn't the safest for him, and 2 I might be allergic too!) it is very hard to clean, have to dump it all out and redo every other day!

Not sure im getting this whole fleece thing...i just dont get how it wont get all soaked and nasty and not stink. when i mentioned it to my husband, he didn't like the idea of washing it out in the same washer we use for our clothes.

Im going to pick up something else at the store later other than the cedar for right now (hubby is gathering materials to build a bigger cage)

thanks for any tips.

Ly&Pigs
11-04-10, 11:36 am
Cedar is toxic. If you get pine shavings, make sure they are kiln dried, if not, they need aired out for at least a week to ten days before using. They also carry aromatic oils that can hurt a pigs respiratory system if not kiln dried thus the reason to air them out to get rid of more oils.

Aspen, carefresh, critter care, etc. are all safe.

Gforce99
11-04-10, 01:11 pm
oh great...maybe thats why ive been sick for 10 days!! I picked up some critter care as the only store i could get to was walmart..and the pine stuff they had tehre didn't say if it was kiln dried. Will go to petsmart tomorrow.......

lindsschou
11-04-10, 01:24 pm
If you wash fleece without fabric softner and without dryer sheets (after preparing it by washing and drying it 3+ times) the pee will go right through the fabric and be absorbed by whatever is underneath (newspaper, towel, puppy training pads etc.) I use fleece and it doesn't smell as long as you change it regularly, have an absorbent underlayer, and sweep poop a couple times a day (I have three males). Shake the fleece out before washing it and really there isn't pee left on the fleece. I do a separate load of piggy laundry once weekly. Hope this was helpful - and I hope your piggy feels better soon!

Shurrim
11-04-10, 01:27 pm
I use critter care or boxo, from walmart, working nicely in the litter pans.
Fleece will wick the wetness down to the absorbing layer (mattress pads, uhaul blankets or towels, these last ones aren't the best though)
It also provides a soft ground for the piggies little fragile feet.
If you add vinegar with your soap, it disinfects and gets rid of the odour.

Gforce99
11-04-10, 01:45 pm
i will def. have to read up on the fleece some more.
And teh piggee hasn't been sick..I have! LOL

lindsschou
11-04-10, 02:10 pm
SorryGforce99, misread. I hope YOU feel better

C. Cole-Chakotay
11-04-10, 06:06 pm
I think fleece is the best. I use it for the main part of the cage and use sunseed Sunthing Special Fresh World Bedding in the kitchen/hay area.

crisma1974a
11-05-10, 10:16 am
Fleece is the way to go. You have to wash and dry it about 3x to get it to wick properly before you use it. I use a layer of towels, puppy pads, and 2 layers of fleece.

Puppy pads can get expensive but you can find them cheaper at Menards or Home Depot. 50 for $9.99 on sale. 50 will last me about 2 months.

If you are concerned about washing them in your washer, I suggest you wash their fleece last after you've done your laundry. I wash my fleece with only 1/4 of cap of detergent and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Once that cycle is done, I wash again in the soak only cycle with 1 cup of vinegar. After you have washed your fleece, then run a water only wash with vinegar or bleach to flush out your washer with the small load setting. I do that every week after I finish all my laundry. Keeps you washer fresh.

I also like to air dry my fleece and towels outside. The sun helps to get rid of any lingering odors.

Hope that helps.

crisma1974a
11-05-10, 10:18 am
And I forgot to add that I use carefresh for the kitchen only. I dump that every day.

And the puppy pads are the Arm & Hammer ones. They smell fresh and the cage rarely has an odor.

Cogni
11-05-10, 10:58 am
A good front-loader washer does fleece beautifully, and your own clothes will not get dirty. I use ultraconcentrated liquid detergent like Tide or the Costco brand (Kirkland), and only 2 tablespoons gets them clean. I set the dial for a pre-wash and an extra rinse and if I am in the room when I hear the rinse, I add 1/4 cup vinegar to it.

Shake out the fleece before you put it in the washer. If hay is stuck to it, beat it a bit outdoors. It is not onerous.

I also run my finger along the rubber door gasket of the washer after each fleece-and-towels wash. I pull out a small lump of piggie hairs because I have Abyssinians and they have fur like angora goats!! Namely, inch-long, fine, and beautiful.

Even if you DON'T wash piggie laundry in a front-loader, you need to do a quick finger-clean of the door gasket on the front-loader, or use a damp sponge, anyway, or gunk will collect. (I have also found coins and screws and other random small objects in there, because my husband neglects to empty his pockets.) I find that the piggies do not add much to my laundry tasks.

Gforce99
11-05-10, 01:23 pm
thanks for all the advice. Today I picked up another pack of the pine stuff for the cage for now, and it is kiln dried.
Once DH gets the new cage built, i may try the fleece. I think if I can do towels, then a puppy pad, then fleece, it may work ok. All I can do is try.

So, I wash and dry the fleece i want to use 3 times before using it. Do I use detergent/softner when i do this?

Duffinvt
11-05-10, 01:42 pm
thanks for all the advice. Today I picked up another pack of the pine stuff for the cage for now, and it is kiln dried.
Once DH gets the new cage built, i may try the fleece. I think if I can do towels, then a puppy pad, then fleece, it may work ok. All I can do is try.

So, I wash and dry the fleece i want to use 3 times before using it. Do I use detergent/softner when i do this?

NO softener ever !! None in the detergent. None in the rinse. None ! Wash, dry, wash, dry, wash, dry. Three separate times washing and drying. Use a regular detergent and some white vinegar in the rinse.

Gforce99
11-05-10, 01:48 pm
ok gotcha, thanks!

itzmeigh
11-05-10, 04:53 pm
Wal-Mart currently has some Fleece throws on sale for $3.50 for 2 that are perfect! They are in brown and green and orange tones. One is solid and the other is stripes. I've been using them since day one and they are holding up nice (so about 2 months now).

I use one of the fleece throws over 2 towels. Then I have a kitchen area where I use a combination of Cafefresh and Pine pellets. I've tried both alone and didn't like either so I combined them and they are working great!

I plan to order some of the Uhal blankets but just haven't yet. I find that Theodore only poops in his kitchen area so my fleece and towels are almost never wet. I can easily go 7 days between cage cleanings. I usually clean on Sundays.

I haven't had any problem with washing the bedding in my washer. I shake off any stray poo (not much with Theo's good bathroom habits!) and then toss the blankets and towels in the washer. I do run an extra rinse cycle just for fun. And I use Vinegar in the fabric softner spot (for all of our clothes.).

Gforce99
11-05-10, 05:07 pm
thanks for the tips on the blankets...may hit walmart for some. Altho I might have some fleece in my sewing stash..have to check :)

Congrats on having a neat piggee..lol. GForce messes ALL over the place..lol

Lauren326
11-13-10, 02:33 am
Wal-Mart currently has some Fleece throws on sale for $3.50 for 2 that are perfect! They are in brown and green and orange tones. One is solid and the other is stripes. I've been using them since day one and they are holding up nice (so about 2 months now).

I use one of the fleece throws over 2 towels. Then I have a kitchen area where I use a combination of Cafefresh and Pine pellets. I've tried both alone and didn't like either so I combined them and they are working great!

I plan to order some of the Uhal blankets but just haven't yet. I find that Theodore only poops in his kitchen area so my fleece and towels are almost never wet. I can easily go 7 days between cage cleanings. I usually clean on Sundays.

I haven't had any problem with washing the bedding in my washer. I shake off any stray poo (not much with Theo's good bathroom habits!) and then toss the blankets and towels in the washer. I do run an extra rinse cycle just for fun. And I use Vinegar in the fabric softner spot (for all of our clothes.).

I just bought those fleece blankets except they were $6-still cheaper though then buying yards of fabric. I can't get them to wick though!!! I am currently using a cheapo detergent, but am going to go get a small bottle of Tide to see if that will work. The detergent I am using doesn't say it has softner in it, but it just isn't working. Hopefully the Tide will do the trick.

itzmeigh
11-13-10, 07:50 am
How are you testing them to see if they wick? If find that if I just pour water then it doesn't work. You have to kinda make the water into a stream and concentrate it to one tiny area. Once a small spot becomes wet it will wick right through.

Like, I use a syringe and get close to the fabric and then kind of squirt it.

As for washing them I use something really cheap like Purex (because that's what I use on my laundry) and then vinegar in the fabric softener spot on my washer. I wash them on the hottest setting and then add an extra rinse. Then I dry them. Sometimes on hot if they are mixed in with other towels.

I haven't had a wicking problem when I actually use them. I've been using them for a couple of months now. And I think $6 is what I paid for the first set. Then they went to $4.50 and now they are selling for $3.50 at my Wal-Mart.

Lauren326
11-14-10, 07:46 pm
I went to Walmart yesterday & saw they are now $5...got to get my receipit & get my dollar back..lol. I ended up buying Ecos. Washed it 2x & it wicked perfectly!! I think the detergent I was using might have had softner in it, although it didn't say it anywhere on the bottle. Thanks for the help!

A&A's_Mommy
11-14-10, 07:54 pm
Just to let you know my opinion of fleece, MUCH better! I can't believe I didn't switch to fleece sooner than I did. Not only do you save on money from buying the shavings, it's way less messy and smelly. Brand new fleece I noticed does smell funky the first couple times you use it even if you wash it 3 times first. I was concerned that I made the wrong decision when I first switched because it smells pretty bad after a day or so...but after a few times of washing it and using it, it gets MUCH better and you will be so happy you switched. I would highly recommend it. Also, I don't feel the need for puppy pads. I just use a couple layers of towels and a couple layers of fleece. Works just fine for me :)