Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Having trouble finding grids

IronicTiming

Cavy Slave
I'm building my first C&C cage - or I should say, I'm trying to build one. I've been searching for the cubes, and cannot find them anywhere. I've hit Target, Walmart, and Sam's so far, with no luck at all. I used to see them all the time, but now when I want them, they seem to have disappeared. >( I couldn't even find the closet organizer shelving that Target used to carry! I'm heading to Costco this afternoon to look there, but since the cubes aren't listed on their website, I'm not holding my breath.

I did find some of the cubes available online-only on Walmart & Staples websites, and thankfully both stores do offer the free site-to-store shipping which will be great if I have to order online so I'm not paying insane shipping fees. However, I really would prefer to see the cubes in person before I buy, to make sure they're still the right size, and that the inner square dimensions haven't changed on the product they're carrying now.

Is it just me & my area (N. Dallas, Tx), or has anyone else noticed that it seems like retailers just aren't carrying these in-store anymore? Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer!

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I know Bed Bath and Beyond has some and there pretty cheap. Walmart also has them, thats where I'm getting mine today (I already have a C&C, i'm just building the boys cage)

IronicTiming

Cavy Slave
(Am on my cell and couldn't figure out how to edit my original post - sorry!)

I just left Costco, and they are no longer carrying the cubes either. So, as far as I can tell, the only way to get them now is buying online? Is that true?

cam767

Cavy Slave
If you have a Home Depot or Lowe's around you, you can get the closet shelving from there. Bed, Bath, and Beyond usually carries the cubes. I think I lucked out and found them because it was around the "going back to school" sales.

IronicTiming

Cavy Slave
I know most people have trouble finding the coroplast - I think that's going to be the easiest part for me. Haha. I've got a FastSigns just a couple of blocks away.

I'd already been to 2 local Walmarts with no luck. Any cubes Walmart has listed online, all stated "limited quantities in stores" and when I searched there were none within 50 miles of me. :sad:

I ended up at a run down Target this afternoon (the 5th Target I've been to in searching - hoping I might at least find some in Clearance), and they had them! Finally! :melodrama I'm kicking myself now because I only bought 1 box, since it's all I should need. Thinking I might go back tomorrow and buy a 2nd box, just in case I decide later I want to expand. lol

I think I might know part of the problem with finding them at Target -- it looks like Target is rebranding them. The store I found them at had one box of the "Organize It" brand. The rest of the boxes (which looked much newer) are called "'Room Essentials' RE Organize". So they might be switching vendors &/or packaging and that's why I was having so much trouble.

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
Go get that second box! You will probably want to expand later - might as well have plenty on hand for when you do :)

I found a box and goodwill and grabbed it a few weeks ago, even though I didn't need any at the time - I've since used 2 of those grids when I messed up cutting openings for my ramps, so I'm glad I bought it.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I saw them on sale at Target today for $14.99... HOWEVER, I have bought that particular one they carry and it has 6 cubes in it that has VERY large holes, and I would only used those on the underside of a cage. We used ours in our shoe closet.

So if you need all 23 grids to build sides do not use this brand.

They have them everywhere for Back to College season, and then they don't sell them for the most part anymore, so stock up now if you can find them!

IronicTiming

Cavy Slave
Nicolene - Yup, I ran into that problem. Most of the grids are the large holes. Grr. I'm using the bigger ones for a lower storage level, and for the bottom of the cage. Going back today to pick up a second box so I have enough smaller grids to finish the cage walls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.