Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size My C and C Cage

LostInLife

Cavy Slave
I have a few questions regarding my cage design. I've been sitting here pondering how to explain without the reader understanding what my cage looks like, so I have attached an image of my cage design.
My c and c cage is going to be quite large, I suppose. Seeing as how I have not yet built this, I can only give an outline of it.

I will explain the outline so your not confused.
The cage is going against an eight foot wall (the main cage in the image), and a seven foot wall (the side cage in the image). There is a kitchen area (the small, jutting out area off of the main cage).
I made each black line a single grid, and the green areas on the ends signify a grid connector.
The dotted lines show the upper level. Which should take up half of the cage all around.
I have not shown the ramps in the image, but there will be three. One in the far corner near the kitchen (but not in the kitchen). One right across from the kitchen ramp in the corner, and one in the corner at the front, on the same side as the corner ramp. Sorry if that doesn't make since.
I think thats really all thats important.
Pointless info : They will be on fleece bedding with layers of U haul moving blankets.

Now, my questions!

1. How many guineas would YOU put in this cage? I know for a fact I will only be accepting females. I am not blocking off any part of this cage, unless necessary. Such as the females don't get along, or I need to quarantine a new one... I know the minimum recommended size for 2 females is a 2x3. So, I believe the cage can hold around 6?
2. Is the kitchen area large enough? It will be holding their food bowls, hay racks, and some sort of container under the hayracks to perform as litter boxes. I know this cant really be answered until I know how many guineas I'll have, but lets just say there will be 3 - 4.
3. Is the shape okay? Will the guineas not like having a curve in their cage?
4. Will the guineas have a problem with the ramp locations?

I already know that I am putting this cage in my second room, that currently only has a few pieces of furniture in it, so I know for a fact this cage will fit. I did alot of measuring before coming up with a design.

LostInLife

Cavy Slave
Quick Update : I just changed the design to a 2x2 kitchen.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can't see your picture. So the cage will be 2x7 with a 2x2 like an L-shape?

Edit to add: Would it be something like this? Except would be 2 grid deep instead of 3 grid deep?
Home Sweet Home - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

LostInLife

Cavy Slave
I made the album the photo is in public. So you can view it on my profile. I cant explain the cage at all. Sorry. :) Thats why the pic is necessary.

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
For the number of pigs you'd be keeping, you might need the kitchen to be larger than 2x2.

I agree.. my pigs have a kitchen area that is 2x4... they lose a little bit of space in there due to the ramp I used to connect it, but I don't think 2x2 would have been enough room and I only have four... but when they eat, they tend to spread out a bit to give each other space, and so they drag their veggies EVERYWHERE!

LostInLife

Cavy Slave
Alright, I changed the cage design. How much of the new portion should I give to the kitchen? A 2x4 for 4 pigs?

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
2x4 may be more kitchen space than necessary for most sets of 4 pigs, I have no idea (personally I suspect mine may just be more messy than others), my suggestion was more that for the size of your cage, if you had maximum occupancy (6-7 pigs?), 2x2 for the kitchen area is going to be too small.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.