Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Buy the cage get a free Rabbit!!!

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
I was just in a pet store (I had no choice it was either this local one or petsmart) and usually they are okay with their pigs. But they had a sign on the rabbit cages, "This rabbit needs a home, If you buy a cage you get a free rabbit" I mean that is the most insulting thing Ive ever seen. It's like a mom goes shopping and sees buy a lollipop get a free kid.

FurryCritters
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Amanda
FurryCritters

muffin_401

Cavy Slave
Same goes with me. That is how I got my GP. I went to the petshop (now I know better) and was just inquiring about GP's and the lady said, well if you buy a starter kit I'll let you have a piggy for free. And of course, me being not educated in GP things, I chose the girl that was pregnant, because I thought I was getting the better deal. Then I came home with my new purchases and did my research and found out what I got myself into, for buying a petstore pig and for buying a prego pig.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I actually have a different experience around here. Our large chain pet store (I don't shop there) actually does this so that people will buy the right cages for their guinea pigs, or what they call the right cages. They are actually quite big and are about the equivalent of a 1.5 x 3.5. If anyone buys one of these cages they will get a free guinea pig. They also do the same with their hampster cages. I realize this is not a good practice, but at least they are giving away a guinea pig with a pretty good size cage (bigger than my pet store cage).

FurryCritters

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I've seen it before with guinea pigs too. When I bought my fish they had that sale, but my husband didn't want a guinea pig. Funny, now we have 3 :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No, that's how they create business and make money. Repeat business. That customer is gonna come back week after week to buy pellets and hay and maybe toys, etc plus they sold an expensive cage that only cost a tiny bit to make in materials.

suzy_99 said:
I actually have a different experience around here. Our large chain pet store (I don't shop there) actually does this so that people will buy the right cages for their guinea pigs, or what they call the right cages. They are actually quite big and are about the equivalent of a 1.5 x 3.5. If anyone buys one of these cages they will get a free guinea pig. They also do the same with their hampster cages. I realize this is not a good practice, but at least they are giving away a guinea pig with a pretty good size cage (bigger than my pet store cage).

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I realize that it is just to make money since the cages do cost more than the guinea pigs, but I am glad that they are at least only giving guinea pigs away with their biggest cages, because at least this way the guinea pigs will be a little more ocmfortable than they would be in one of those small little cramped cages. I actually completely disagree with this practice, but if they are going to do it, they might as well do it in the best way for the guinea pig (although this isn't their intention, they only care about $$$), rather than doing it with one of those little starter cages that are really only big enough for hamsters. The business may be getting more money, but at least the guinea pig is getting a bigger home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.