Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Having some issues with my grids

MoPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have constructed a 2x4 cavy cage with a 1x2 loft area. My problem is the ramp! I have looked at every single picture on this site and I know what kind of ramp I am gearing towards which is like many of the ramps on here. My problem is that I can't get my grids to bend properly. They either bend at the wrong spot or I "almost" get the right and it breaks. What am I doing wrong?

amanda_d

Cavy Slave
I don't know about bending them, I was having trouble making my ramp too... I decided to cut the grid using cutters, I had to use bolt cutters maybe because Im not very strong ;) then, so the little ends wouldnt be sharp I took a metel file and filed the sharp edges off where I cut the grid. I hope this helps and good luck!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
All I can say for bending them is, go slowly. If you bend too fast they break.
Just a thought!

MoPiggies

Cavy Slave
I didn't even think about using cutters. I would be able to get them near perfect then! Thanks for the info! I will make sure I file as well!

Five more days and piggy comes home!!!!

I will post pics!!

amanda_d

Cavy Slave
Thats why I cut them, becuase Im a perfectionist and wanted exactly 4 squares for my ramp with rails of course. Yes just make sure you file them flush because they are sharp, I cant wait to see pictures!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Instead of using grids, I took apart an old cage and used one of the sides for my ramp. It was easier to bend and I was able to have rails on both sides. I discovered that grids have one area where the metal meets. That's the vulnerable spot when you bend. Try having that section along the rail instead of a side where you bend. Someone suggested pressing the section you want to bend against a strong edge, like a counter top.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I use the edge of the kitchen counter to bend grids. It bends perfectly every time.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I have used grids from Walmart and K-Mart. The Walmart grid bent fairly easy the K-Mart grids unfortunately did not. When I tried to, they broke, just like you said. I think it has to do with how strong the wire is? I don't know. I hate to say, but you may have to get a different brand or something. I don't think the bending of the grid has to do anything with strength (I mean it does but not for you obviously since when you do bend yours they just brake) I think it literally won't bend without breaking. I mean I could be wrong but from what I've experienced, it seems that way.

MoPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have used grids from Walmart and K-Mart. The Walmart grid bent fairly easy the K-Mart grids unfortunately did not. When I tried to, they broke, just like you said. I think it has to do with how strong the wire is? I don't know. I hate to say, but you may have to get a different brand or something. I don't think the bending of the grid has to do anything with strength (I mean it does but not for you obviously since when you do bend yours they just brake) I think it literally won't bend without breaking. I mean I could be wrong but from what I've experienced, it seems that way.

I think you are right about the difference in grids. The ones I have seem pretty strong. I am going to try and cut a few and I am also going to try another suggestion I got...using the counter top. I have a feeling though that the counter top method will just prove another broken grid. I will just have to test it. I think if I end up cutting them, after they are filed, I may also attach some felt to the underside just in case. I saw from one of the pics on here that someone cut down an inexpensive door mat to use as a runner. I am thinking that should work pretty good but I worry about piggy nails getting caught. I also saw where some use shelf liners for traction. There are just so many options!!!

cam767

Cavy Slave
We used old tube socks to cover our ferret ramps. When we redo the cage (again!) and do an interior ramp (VS an exterior tube) I am going to try the sock method there too. It fits tight around the ramp and is easy to remove so we can toss it in the wash with the other piggy stuff. If the socks end up too small I may try to sew a "fleece sock" to fit around. This way I don't have to worry about it sliding off and little toes getting caught.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.