Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Beta is severely depressed

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I posted my problem with my rabbit Gama here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/rabbits/58331-need-opinions-gamas-eye-popping-out.html

Unfortunately she has passed tonight. Vet says it was a stroke.
My problem is that, since Gama got sick, Beta (her brother) refuses to eat, drink or play. He is very depressed. You can't imagine how much he loved Gama!
I have to handfeed him because he just won't eat. I have tried every possible vegetable and fruit, but he won't eat.
Vet came by to see him and he said he is really depressed and that he needs a new friend asap.
Thing is that there are 2 lion head mini rabbits in the shelter, that have already been quarantined and are ready to go. I thought it would be wonderful, but Beta is a Rex and I am afraid he is too big for a mini rabbit. What do you guys say?

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Size dosn't matter at all. Take your boy down there and see who he likes. It isn't based on breed, size, coloring or anyting we people can figure out. It is just based on him and who he chooses.

You can read more on bonding here: FAQ: Bonding Multiple Rabbits

Good luck finding your boy his perfect comanion!

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I guess you were right. I took him there and he loved the first one he saw. We put them both in a big pen and put them in opposite sides. They met in the hay box. It was so cute! The moment they saw each other she started licking him and he started licking her. Minutes later they were sleeping together in the hidey. I guess she is the one.
I am glad she is not a baby (she is 6 months old) so her personality is quite clear. She is smart and clever, but very people friendly. She is also already potty trained.
They are now on the couch with me, enjoying some arugula.
It's so good to see Beta eating again. Even his eyes are different. He is not absolutely normal yet, but I believe time will heal all of us.

Now I have to read a whole "how to care for a long haired mini rabbit" manual to read. It has been fun to learn new stuff. I believe Gama is smiling to us from up above!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Awwww...it's so nice to hear that Beta is again eating and happy. I'm sure
Gama is smiling down on you.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I am so glad he is happy again. Just like piggies and rats they need friends.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's such a relief to see he is even playing again!

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about your other bunny.

On a side note, though, I too recently adopted a lionhead for my other rabbit. They are quite the cuties.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What a beautiful story. I am sorry for your loss of Gama. I am so relieved it all worked out for your other rabbit, plus getting a good home for one at the shelter.
Thank you for sharing. Any pictures?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.