Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New piggy, Puff

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I just got a new piggy about a week ago. He's really small, about 8 oz. I think he may have been too young to leave his moma, cause he sure is a fussy little guy!
I set him up with a nice house, lots of toys and room, and a little tent in the corner, which is where he spends a lot of time.
I haven't given him any floor time yet, cause he bolts. He gets lots of lap time, and likes to burrow in one of my Shih Tzus (Aubry) fur and sleep. He seems to like Aubry and my Great Dane. My other two Shih Tzus are scared of him! LOL
He still won't take any treats from me :(. I hope he will be more at ease soon.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
AWWWW!! That is so cute! I know they don't encourage letting GPs mix with other pets around here (or at least from a few posts I've read around here) but I think it's so fun if they get along and you supervise. Such a cute picture. Have fun with your new cutey. They are awfully small and squeaky at 3 weeks when they are separated and you can't help but feel bad for them. We adopted one at 19 days old and he tried to suckle his new male adult buddy for 4 days. It got so bad that the bigger one finally figured out how to climb on top of his pigloo and he refused to come down... LOL

cam767

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new baby! He's such a cutie. It's so cute to see him cuddling with your dog. Just make sure to keep an eye on them. If your baby bothers the dog to much it may snap. Not meaning to hurt your baby but being so much smaller accidents do happen.

Just give him time to get used to his new surroundings. Being a baby and in a new home it will take some time. Keep offering treats and eventually you will be rewarded. :)

We adopted one at 19 days old and he tried to suckle his new male adult buddy for 4 days. It got so bad that the bigger one finally figured out how to climb on top of his pigloo and he refused to come down... LOL

That is just such a funny picture I burst out laughing! Thanks! I really needed that today!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome - where did you get the baby?

Are you feeding hay?

You should switch to a plain alfalfa based pellet. The seed/ colored bit mixes like the one you are feeding is bad for them. They can choke and it is too fattening.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Oh he looks nice!
Give him time. He needs to get used to his new home, all the new living beings around him.
I agree for the pellets, better go with Oxbow or Kleenmamas, alfalfa based until he reaches 6 months. And he needs unlimited access to hay. You will find all the infos needed on the nutrition thread.
And hope you've cut the paper roll open in middle so he cant get stucked in it.

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
I got him from a pet store (bad, I know). I'll get the pellets, the roll is split up the middle, (although he wants nothing to do with it) and he has hay in his tent.
I always supervise when the dogs are around. He always runs and hides in his tent when I come too close, but he doesn't mind the dogs. They lay next to his cage, and he comes over and sniffs them. Sometimes he drags some hay out of his tent and sits by them and nibbles...hope he trusts me that much someday!

cam767

Cavy Slave
They lay next to his cage, and he comes over and sniffs them. Sometimes he drags some hay out of his tent and sits by them and nibbles...hope he trusts me that much someday!

Awww... you should get him a buddy after you have both settled down. He may also be lonely. Glad to see he's not afraid of the dogs. I would think that would mean there is hope that he will see his human slave as being "OK" too. :D

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are very social you should get the little cutie a friend. He is adorable.

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
I want to get him a piggy pal, but kinda worried. Two males may not get along, and if I get a female, I'll have more piggies than I know what to do with!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
You don't want to get a female because pregnancies are very hard on the females. She could easily experience complications or even die. Or she could reject the babies and you could end up hand rearing them. Unless you were to get an altered female from a rescue of some sort, you wouldn't want to get a female. Or you could get your male neutered, but I think it would probably be easier to get another of the same gender.

As far as a male goes, you shouldn't worry too much as long as you have enough room they get along most of the time. Making a 2x5 C&C cage would be big enough for two male pigs. Big enough that you shouldn't experience much fighting after they get used to eachother.

If you knew that getting a pig from a petstore was bad, then why did you get one? I hope you adopt the next, if you get another.

Welcome by the way!:)

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Aww, what a sweet little doll!

Puff, the baby dragon,
Lived by the Shih-
(tsu)

Sorry i couldn't resist.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
I want to get him a piggy pal, but kinda worried. Two males may not get along, and if I get a female, I'll have more piggies than I know what to do with!

If you take him down to a rescue they will help you find him a friend to get along with. They may even let you foster first to make sure they can live together. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your boy for a month or so first, to make sure he is not ill.

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
Cognie, that's what I sing to him!!! That's too funny!
There are no shelters that have piggies near me. I would have adpoted if there were. Unless someone knows of a shelter that I don't know about in Southern Illinois, I'm not sure what i'll do to find Puff a piggy pal... :(

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
Puff next to me on the couch snoozing with my Great Dane Gabby.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you look on petfinder.com? There are lots of guinea pigs in Illinois. Not sure how far they are from you. You can run a search with your zip code.

cam767

Cavy Slave
You are so lucky to have such calm dogs! Mine is not allowed downstairs anymore. Every time she sees the pigs she starts shaking. She wants them and it ain't for cuddling purposes let me tell you...

Cavy Castle

Cavy Slave
That is the cutest picture ever! It looks like it could be a cute calendar picture! I love Great Danes! They are beautiful and have the sweetest personalities. I have a half Dane half lab mix. I would love to rescue a full Great Dane someday, but need a bigger house first!lol

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
There are no shelters that have piggies near me. I would have adpoted if there were. Unless someone knows of a shelter that I don't know about in Southern Illinois, I'm not sure what i'll do to find Puff a piggy pal... :(

Did you check Craiglist? PetFinder? Petango? I *guarantee* if you had actually waited, or looked harder, you *would've* found a Guinea Pig for adoption and not had to "resort" to a pet-store.

In fact...

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Not sure if these are close to you, but if they are within an hour or two away from you then it should be no problem at all.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Dogs and guinea pigs are not a good mix. My kid's sitter's dog killed their guinea pig while they were supervising them together. The dog grabbed her and tossed her before they could react. It killed her instantly. Their dog was not an aggressive dog... he was playing.

Puffs_mom

Cavy Slave
Due to everyone's posts here about what an incompetent piggy mommy I am, and how my "dangerous" dogs shouldn't be around him, (never mind that Aubry is SUCH a danger to him that she treated him like one of her puppies, cleaning him and even trying to encourage him to NURSE from her right along side her pups!) I've decided I don't deserve to have Puff...I'm not a fit piggy mommy. So, I've arranged to give him to a woman down the street who has other piggies and can give him a GOOD life, not the HORRIBLE life that I've offered him!
Thanks to everyone for helping me see I don't deserve a chance to be Puff's Mommy, and goodbye to all. Don't worry...I will NEVER try to get another piggy again...I realize now, thanks to all you fine folks, that I'm not good enough.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.