Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi ~wave~

DangerousLily

Cavy Slave
We currently have 8 guinea pigs! The first four were acquired in that not-so-great way, a pet store. Yes I know better, but sometimes you just can't resist. Two of them the store was "adopting out." This includes Mamma Pig (she was apparently a retired breeder when we got her) and her offspring Baby Pig. Soon after that we acquired Flapsy (I did sex him, but thought boy was opposite of what it actually is). As soon as we got home we compared him to the girls and realized our mistake. Flapsy is his name because each time he squeaks his ears flap in a huge way. So then we got Boris to keep Flapsy company.

Then I go to this store (it's like a "backyard petsore") for a cage that was due us ages ago (over two months ago). Don't worry, the pigs are in C&C cages. Anyway, we go to get this cage and it has four boys in it. The lady says "you can take the pigs too, I hate guinea pigs." By the way, this is mostly a reptile store. So she shows me the cage in their new store that isn't set up yet and has no heat or hydro. There are chinchillas in a few layers of poop, and these four guinea pigs. It has been -2 degrees celcius every night for weeks! I couldn't leave them, so we moved cage and all into the vehicle and went off home.

Now they all have big C&C cages, and are happy as can be. Our four new pigs don't have names yet, and I won't have pics up for a while because all we have is cell phone quality pics.

We also have two rescued would-be "meat bunnies." A puppy, two kids and another on the way. :D

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
That's so wonderful that you took those piggies in! Who could hate piggies?!

This has been on my mind lately. Why does everyone talk about buying piggies from a pet store like it's a terrible thing? I know that "piggy mills" exist and that's where most these pet stores get them from, but don't those piggies deserve homes too? I've gotten all of my piggies from pet stores and I've had little problems with them (other than not getting along) and I love them so much! <3

Sounds like you have one big happy family there! Congrats on the bun in the over! :)

DangerousLily

Cavy Slave
Thanks! The reason is because you are supporting the breeding of the piggies and making room for the pet store to get more of them. There are a lot of unwanted piggies out there already without people breeding more, and adoption is the only way to help with that. But lets face, sometimes you just can't resist those sad piggy eyes staring up at you.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
wow and I thougth I had a zoo.
If you have time time, space, money and love for them all it's great. I'm running out of space (and relistically time too), so I'm at my limit.

great job saving so many animals from unwanted fates

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Maybe you should go to the kitchen and read up (broken link removed)

You are very lucky if your pigs were not sick or missexed or pregnant. Most are not so lucky due to puppy mill like conditions. Your purchase only allows them to stay in business. And even there were homeless guinea pigs at a shelter near you that originally came from a pet store euthanized instead of adopted because someone is buying from a pet store instead.

That's so wonderful that you took those piggies in! Who could hate piggies?!

This has been on my mind lately. Why does everyone talk about buying piggies from a pet store like it's a terrible thing? I know that "piggy mills" exist and that's where most these pet stores get them from, but don't those piggies deserve homes too? I've gotten all of my piggies from pet stores and I've had little problems with them (other than not getting along) and I love them so much! <3

Sounds like you have one big happy family there! Congrats on the bun in the over! :)

cam767

Cavy Slave
Wow! You have quite the group there. I'm glad you took in those piggies. No animal deserves to be treated that way. I can only imagine what condition her reptiles are in.

Congrats on all the new additions. And the baby on the way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.