Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Recycled Paper Yest News staining white fur?

Rubio

Cavy Slave
I have an Abby with white fur on her backside, and she's developed brownish stains on her butt area. She's often wet down there (just peeing), and she definitely does not have any loose stool. My theory is that it may be the "cat" version of the Yesterday's News I've been using lately, because my store never has the rodent variety on hand.

Do you think that's possible, and has anyone had any similar problems? I don't recall this happening when we used the rodent variety of yesterday's news -- in either variety, the YN lets are dark brown in color -- but maybe the cat version rubs off more?

Thanks for any help,

lissie

Cavy Slave
It sounds like pee stain. Does she have problem moving around? How big is her cage? How often do you clean/change the bedding? Is Yesterday's News the only bedding you are using?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I agree that is it probably a pee stain.
Does your piggy sleep in a wet spot? Does it urinate excessively?

Rubio

Cavy Slave
Hmmm...pee stain. Hadn't thought of that, or heard of it before. In terms of the cage, it's a fleece-lined 5x2, for 2 pigs -- so they've always had plenty of room. I felt all the fleece tonite and didn't notice any damp spots. The only thing is we stopped using towels underneath the fleece about 2 months ago -- currently, only puppy pads underneath the fleece. Possibly the pee isn't wicking away as well? I'll add back the towels.

So, I'm going back to the idea of the Yest News pellets in the kitchen area -- I think I'll try substituting Carefresh in there, for the next month or so -- to see if it makes a difference (it's pure white).

The only other possibility is maybe she changed he behavior for some reason, and is laying in her own pee? She's never had this problem prior to a couple months ago, though -- and seems perfectly healthy.

By the way, are there any tricks to get rid of the pee stain?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
You could give her bum a bath, that worked well for my one white furry pig.
If the hair by the bum is really long you could trim it a bit and maybe that will help!

Rubio

Cavy Slave
I don't suppose there's any kind of 'natural bleaching' stuff for pigs or rabbits, that one could use?

Also, I just read in another post here that a constanly wet bottom could be a sign of a bladder infection? She does feel constantly wet down there -- which is also new.. any thoughts?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.