PDA

View Full Version : Neutering/Spaying Post-Neuter Swollen Parts

RavingNoodle
09-27-10, 07:54 pm
I got Mochi neutered on September 13 and now it has been two weeks. I recently noticed that his testicles on one side is very swollen. When I touch it, it doesn't seem to bother him. Though I don't know what it is. I scheduled an appointment with the vet who did the operation for tomorrow morning. I also read that it could be abscess though I don't even know what that is and from what I read, many guinea pigs who have had it and then had it treated, have died so it's bothering me that it could be the same faith to my little Mochi.

Another thing is that he eats normally and drinks water and everything all normal. He also runs around and has fun with my girls. One of which he tried to mount but he couldn't get the thing out since he is swollen so there is no change in his behavior. He seems perfectly healthy.

So I don't know if this is normal or not?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/SinhsLife/Random/IMG_0584.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/SinhsLife/Random/IMG_0585.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/SinhsLife/Random/IMG_0586.jpg

rabbitsncavyluv
09-27-10, 10:46 pm
It looks abscessed. No it is not normal.

Peggysu
09-27-10, 11:51 pm
Does not look normal.

It may need to be drained and he will most likely need to be put on antibiotics. Hope your vet is experienced in guinea pigs.

Domino & Bedhead
09-28-10, 07:15 am
You should definitely take him back to your vet just for peace of mind because you certainly don't want to leave things too long. :-)

RavingNoodle
09-28-10, 09:23 am
Update:

They took him and they had him lanced and all this pus came out. It was kinda gross and I could hear the squealing in the distance I felt so bad for my poor Mochi. Though he is doing well but he has a huge cut so that it heals from the inside out. I quarantined him in a little 2 X 1 cage from my other 3 girls.

He put him back on the antibiotics and I have to do a hot compress 3 times a day for him. I hope he'll recover okay.

skinnypigs
09-28-10, 09:41 am
Oh poop Mochi! I hope he has a fast and speedy recovery.

Shurrim
09-28-10, 10:19 am
Poor thing, hope everything will be fine for him!

Domino & Bedhead
09-28-10, 12:04 pm
I am glad you took him in. Poor little guy.

RavingNoodle
09-28-10, 04:48 pm
Update:

When I do the hot compress I have to squeeze it till it bleeds. He squeals because it is uncomfortable. This sucks!

pinky
09-28-10, 05:26 pm
Update:

They took him and they had him lanced and all this pus came out. It was kinda gross and I could hear the squealing in the distance I felt so bad for my poor Mochi. Though he is doing well but he has a huge cut so that it heals from the inside out. I quarantined him in a little 2 X 1 cage from my other 3 girls.

He put him back on the antibiotics and I have to do a hot compress 3 times a day for him. I hope he'll recover okay.

My male was neutered in June. He also developed abscesses. I didn't even realize it until I saw some pus come out of one of the incisions. The vet lanced and cleaned them out and gave me a solution to rinse out the pockets. That was impossible. It would squirt all over. He was on Baytril. Make sure you give him a probiotic. My guy developed bloat, but thankfully, I know the signs so I immediately gave him simethicone. It was touch and go for awhile but he survived and is doing wonderful now.

RavingNoodle
09-28-10, 05:30 pm
My male was neutered in June. He also developed abscesses. I didn't even realize it until I saw some pus come out of one of the incisions. The vet lanced and cleaned them out and gave me a solution to rinse out the pockets. That was impossible. It would squirt all over. He was on Baytril. Make sure you give him a probiotic. My guy developed bloat, but thankfully, I know the signs so I immediately gave him simethicone. It was touch and go for awhile but he survived and is doing wonderful now.

What's a probiotic? They only give me the antibiotic Baytril and told me to compress him everyday. As for signs of bloat, I'm unsure what that is. He poops, pees, drinks, and still eats as he normally would. What should I be looking for?

Sirene
09-28-10, 06:42 pm
Antibiotics destroy good bacteria in the gut, which are needed for digestion, so people often give a probiotic like acidophilus to balance them out. Here's some info on probiotics: http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Also, here's some info on bloat: http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

RavingNoodle
09-28-10, 07:00 pm
Antibiotics destroy good bacteria in the gut, which are needed for digestion, so people often give a probiotic like acidophilus to balance them out. Here's some info on probiotics: http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Also, here's some info on bloat: http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

So can I just buy probiotics or do I have to get it from my vet? As for bloat should I just watch out for it?

Peggysu
09-28-10, 07:25 pm
So can I just buy probiotics or do I have to get it from my vet? As for bloat should I just watch out for it?

One of my guinea pigs is on antibiotics right now and I give a half of an acidophilis capsule about 45 minutes prior to giving antibiotics. I disolve the capsule in some warm water in a 5mL syringe. Some people sprinkle it on veggies as well about an hour and half to two hours after giving the antibiotic. Either method has worked for different members. I find acidophilis at the grocery store in the supplement isle, might be easiest to find at a pharmacy.

Bloat occurs when they stop eating and food in their gut begins to ferment and is potentially fatal to guinea pigs. Signs and symptoms would be a distended abdomen with a possibly hallow sound if tapped. I believe the abdomen would be tender to touch as well.

If your pig isn't eating enough be prepared to hand feed critical care if need be.

RavingNoodle
09-28-10, 09:10 pm
One of my guinea pigs is on antibiotics right now and I give a half of an acidophilis capsule about 45 minutes prior to giving antibiotics. I disolve the capsule in some warm water in a 5mL syringe. Some people sprinkle it on veggies as well about an hour and half to two hours after giving the antibiotic. Either method has worked for different members. I find acidophilis at the grocery store in the supplement isle, might be easiest to find at a pharmacy.

Bloat occurs when they stop eating and food in their gut begins to ferment and is potentially fatal to guinea pigs. Signs and symptoms would be a distended abdomen with a possibly hallow sound if tapped. I believe the abdomen would be tender to touch as well.

If your pig isn't eating enough be prepared to hand feed critical care if need be.

Okay, I'll have to check for those acidophilis, as for bloat he is eating and drinking like no other so it's going good so far. Thank you.

RavingNoodle
09-29-10, 08:10 am
Update:

The pus that comes out smells awful and makes me gag but it is getting much smaller and back to normal size. I have to squeeze it 3 times a day. Blahh.

RavingNoodle
09-30-10, 09:34 am
Update:

I think he might have developed another abscess or even a tumor. There's a lump on the opposite side of the abscess. It feels hard but he has another appointment today so we'll see.

Shurrim
09-30-10, 09:50 am
Poor Mochi. Keep up updated and I hope he will be fine *hugs*

pinky
09-30-10, 10:22 am
Update:

I think he might have developed another abscess or even a tumor. There's a lump on the opposite side of the abscess. It feels hard but he has another appointment today so we'll see.

Mine had abscesses on both sides. I knew there was something on the one side but my vet caught the other one when she examined him. I didn't have to squeeze them out. I did the flushing as told and the antibiotic did the trick and they never filled up again. I had a female that had an abscess on the bridge of her nose that my vet had me clean out multiple times a day with a Qtip. That took a little longer to heal up but she recovered completely. The neuter abscess was a lot worse because he already had a surgical incision so it really grossed me out. In hindsight, I don't think I would ever neuter another guinea pig. If I had to, I'd have my vet prescribe an antibiotic as part of the treatment, not only if an abscess formed.

RavingNoodle
09-30-10, 09:52 pm
Update:

They lanced the other abscess so now I get to hot compress both, it's so gross but needs to be done so he can be with his lady friends. He seems to be doing very well and so far he has normal behavior and such. He's a trooper.

Shurrim
09-30-10, 10:50 pm
I'm happy he seems to recover. And good you can do it, even if it's gross. *hugs* to both of you!

RavingNoodle
10-01-10, 01:52 am
The new abscess that was lanced is very different from the first one. This one when pressure is applied actually makes Mochi feel intense pain, not to mention it feels hard. I'm unsure if it is an abscess anymore, the vet didn't seem to think it was anything else bu tan abscess. Does anything think it could be something?