Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Built my new cage!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
But no photos yet! The computer is having, shall we say, issues and we've had to wipe the hard drive... twice. So, we don't have the photo editing program right now. I started taking it apart on Monday, the upper levels of the old cage at least. I ordered two navy blue sheets of coroplast then as well. If anyone remembers, I had planned this for this summer, but it's spring break and I had the time. I got the coro on the 6th, and took down the old and put up the new, coroplast cut and all, that day. Whew! So that's done. So sorry I can't get photos up; I will asap! Just know that it is a straight 2 x 9, not the 2 x 7 with a 2 x 2 in an L as I had thought before. I decided it would be easier yet this way! So, I had to say goodbye to my creativity, although it was difficult... and just build the cage out of functionality. Although it may seem awhile away, I'm leaving for college in two years, so my mom and little brother need to be prepared to take care of them. This cage is going to be easier to clean, and I even bought four fleece throws to see if that works. Now that's definitely going to have to wait until the summer, because I go back to school on Monday! :)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
YAY MN YOUR BACK!! It's been crazy with out you here (lol) I can't WAIT to ysee your new cage!!!

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Yay MN!! Glad to see you here again. Congrats on the cage.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Missed you, girl! Can't wait to see the new cage. I'm in desperate need of some new ideas!!!!!!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Wow, thank you all for the warm and fuzzy welcome! I really like the forums (usually) and though I seem to have missed some drama, I'm glad to be back. Sorry about the photos, my dad is going to the computer store yet again as we, er, "speak" I guess. Thanks again, and sorry about the wait!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah some pics please. Once we move to the ground floor of our apt in about 2 weeks I will be fixing the shelving unit cages again. Instead of having 4 seperate cages on each units. Im going to make it 2 long 3 shelving units side by side. Boys in one and girls in other top and bottom. It will be a 2x12 combine total. It will be like the pic I had in the gallery but instead of tall shelves it will be small shelves. I cant wait. all the girls will be together again and so will the boys. The boys will be on the bottom and the girls on the top.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
2 x 9 is a HUGE cage!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new cage! I wish I had room for something like that!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Hey, thanks everyone! Now I've finally gotten to upload those pictures. Enjoy!

Cleaning the old cage, after top levels taken down

Taking apart the old cage:

Their temporary cage, made using their playpen grids and old coroplast:

The new area:

Base grids:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Supports:

Cage base and perimeter:

Cut coroplast. This was really difficult because I had to cut the piece of coroplast with the hay rack guards with its flutes perpendicular to the other piece of coroplast. The hay guards took the longest to measure and cut!

Coroplast inside--it fits!

Added bedding, hay, water, food, houses, hammock, and pigs:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Having fun in the temporary cage:

And, finally, dinner in the new cage!

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
Awesome job!

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
WOw! They must have LOTS of fun!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Wow I love it!! It must take a lot of bedding though.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Good heavens! Those must be the happiest piggies on earth! Terrific job!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Wow! Great cage!

cornhill

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Supports:

Cage base and perimeter:

Cut coroplast. This was really difficult because I had to cut the piece of coroplast with the hay rack guards with its flutes perpendicular to the other piece of coroplast. The hay guards took the longest to measure and cut!

Coroplast inside--it fits!

Added bedding, hay, water, food, houses, hammock, and pigs:

Nice job. I thought I had a mansion with my set up. Yours is very nice.

MSMONKEYDOG

Cavy Slave
HI EVERYONE ! IM NEW HERE, AND WAS JUST LOOKING AT ALL THE PICTURES OF CAGES ...I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE FLEECE...I HAVE BEEN USING ASPEN OR PINE SHAVINGS, AND WHAT AN AWFUL MESS THAT MAKES !! BUT WHEN THE FLEECE IS USED, WHAT GOES UNDERNEATH TO PROTECT THE CARPET? ALSO, WHAT IS A GOOD AND INEXPENSIVE "BORDER" TO USE IN PLACE OF THE COLORPLAST, THAT IS FUNCTIONAL AS WELL AS NICE LOOKING ? MY 2 PIGGIES EACH HAVE A 4X4 ENCLOSURE SIMILIAR TO YOURS WITH THE FENCING ALL AROUND, BUT I NEED TO MAKE SOME IMPROVEMENTS AS IT IS NOT VERY EASY TO CLEAN...I HAVE TO SWEEP OUT ALL THE SHAVINGS USUALLY EVERY OTHER DAY, AND OF COURSE REPLACE WITH CLEAN SHAVINGS...TIME CONSUMING AND A LITTLE EXPENSIVE....NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SHAVINGS SCATTERED OUT OF THE CAGE ONTO THE CARPET !! I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP....THANKS SO MUCH, AND I JUST LOVE THIS FORUM !! MSMONKEYDOG
mncavylover said:
But no photos yet! The computer is having, shall we say, issues and we've had to wipe the hard drive... twice. So, we don't have the photo editing program right now. I started taking it apart on Monday, the upper levels of the old cage at least. I ordered two navy blue sheets of coroplast then as well. If anyone remembers, I had planned this for this summer, but it's spring break and I had the time. I got the coro on the 6th, and took down the old and put up the new, coroplast cut and all, that day. Whew! So that's done. So sorry I can't get photos up; I will asap! Just know that it is a straight 2 x 9, not the 2 x 7 with a 2 x 2 in an L as I had thought before. I decided it would be easier yet this way! So, I had to say goodbye to my creativity, although it was difficult... and just build the cage out of functionality. Although it may seem awhile away, I'm leaving for college in two years, so my mom and little brother need to be prepared to take care of them. This cage is going to be easier to clean, and I even bought four fleece throws to see if that works. Now that's definitely going to have to wait until the summer, because I go back to school on Monday! :)

pennick

Cavy Slave
MSMONKEYDOG said:
HI EVERYONE ! IM NEW HERE, AND WAS JUST LOOKING AT ALL THE PICTURES OF CAGES ...I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE FLEECE...I HAVE BEEN USING ASPEN OR PINE SHAVINGS, AND WHAT AN AWFUL MESS THAT MAKES !! BUT WHEN THE FLEECE IS USED, WHAT GOES UNDERNEATH TO PROTECT THE CARPET? ALSO, WHAT IS A GOOD AND INEXPENSIVE "BORDER" TO USE IN PLACE OF THE COLORPLAST, THAT IS FUNCTIONAL AS WELL AS NICE LOOKING ? MY 2 PIGGIES EACH HAVE A 4X4 ENCLOSURE SIMILIAR TO YOURS WITH THE FENCING ALL AROUND, BUT I NEED TO MAKE SOME IMPROVEMENTS AS IT IS NOT VERY EASY TO CLEAN...I HAVE TO SWEEP OUT ALL THE SHAVINGS USUALLY EVERY OTHER DAY, AND OF COURSE REPLACE WITH CLEAN SHAVINGS...TIME CONSUMING AND A LITTLE EXPENSIVE....NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SHAVINGS SCATTERED OUT OF THE CAGE ONTO THE CARPET !! I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP....THANKS SO MUCH, AND I JUST LOVE THIS FORUM !! MSMONKEYDOG

The coroplast is the bottom that is used for the cage. The fleece goes on the coroplast. The coroplast is not just the border, its a large piece that folds up on all sides and the grids are used to go around it. People here place newspapers or towels down on the coroplast then place their fleece.

Teria

Cavy Slave
Wow, MN, this cage looks awesome! How many pigs do you have? There's room for at least five!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.