Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Pregnant or not??

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
Ok so about 2 weeks ago my husband co-worker decided she needed to cut back on guinea pigs, so we took in 2 females (mother and daughter). She has 2 others male/female she kept. She told me that they the mom had been around the male, Im not sure if the daugther was, So I knew there was a possibility the mom could be pregnant. Im not sure about the ages The mom had 1 litter before at the other ladies house, and her daughter is I think about 3 months old. I only have the 2 females no males. But now the daughter is kind of fat so I read up and found out they can get prego way early and since I don't know if she was around a male I have no idea lol. I had 1 guinea pig s a kid but it never had babies so Im pretty much new to this any help would be greatly appreciated. The mom is the grey/white, daughter is multi color. 1st is mom 2nd 2 are daughter. Also if the daughter is prego will she be ok this young im kind of worried.

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant to put this in pregnancy section if someone could move.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! It's a great source of information on absolutely everything guinea-pig-related.

As for your babies - the daughter is definitely pregnant, poor girl, not sure about the mom. You'll find a lot of very knowledgable people here who can help you deal with this. Please don't hold them like that, though, especially when they're pregnant, as they need their spines to be supported.

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the quick reply I normally would never hold them like that I just wanted to show their tummies. I have been really careful picking them up even just in case. Is there anything else I should do for her, they get their food and mixed veggies and hay. I have no idea how far along she is or anything i feel lost lol. And she is just a baby herself will she be ok? And also she only had 1 male which was the daughters dad, do you think the babies will be ok? I dont think she knew they could get pregnant as early as they can either.

Last edited:

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
What is that in their food? Are those really chopped up vegetables or are those colored bits in the pellets? If it's the latter you need to switch to a different pellet such as Kleenmama's ((broken link removed)), Oxbow or Sweet Meadow.

I agree, the daughter definitely looks pregnant. You are going to want an emergency vet's number if there are any complications.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm not the best person to ask as I only have boy pigs myself, but there's some info here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

I believe babies are normally born after 72 days, and one sign of imminent delivery is the pelvic bones separating, which you can apparently feel. You can also hear baby pigs grinding their teeth (no joke!) in the womb during the last couple of weeks of pregnancy.

I believe the pregnant pigs and babies will also need both timothy (or similar) hay AND alfalfa hay, because the alfalfa has extra calcium in it. They may also need alfalfa-based pellets (the babies will, for sure). Hopefully you'll get more replies on an appropriate diet for pregnant pigs, or find this info either by searching the forum or reading the diet section. (The diet section will also help you find good-quality plain pellets (mixes liek the one you have in the 2nd pic are no good, unfortunately) and give you information about what fresh foods to feed).

There can always be problems with guinea pig pregnancies and inbreeding, unfortunately, so your husband's coworker is being INCREDIBLY irresponsible by doing what she's doing. All you can do now is make sure you have a good exotics vet (guinea pigs are exotics) lined up in case of complications, and make sure the girls have a good, healthy diet, a good-sized cage (build your own C&C, instructions here: How to Make a C&C Cage) and keep an eye on them. To be honest, I believe the one to worry more about is the mommy pig, as older pigs have harder pregnancies than younger ones. The daughter pig has a better chance of coming through it without complications.

Good luck with everything, and please keep us updated!

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that link, I was looking at those cages earlier but didn't see that page its got nice info on how to build the cage. Also the color stuff in the food is dried carrots and vita bites or something, that comes with the food. I will check more on the diet section and see what foods are recommended. And thanks for the hay info I did not know they needed both. I'm already learning a lot from this forum so glad I found it.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
You will definitely want to switch that food. A guinea pig food should just be plain timothy pellets with stabilized Vitamin C, and no add-ins. Since she is pregnant, however, she can have an alfalfa-based pellet, such as Kleenmama's Alfalfa or Oxbow Cavy Performance. I'm not sure if Sweet Meadow has an alfalfa-based pellet.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if Sweet Meadow has an alfalfa-based pellet.

They have an alfalfa/timothy pellet, which they claim is the perfect calcium balance for growing/pregnant pigs.

You might be better off using oxbow's cavy performance. Of course, if your willing to order online you should certainly buy kleenmama. She has pellets with superior nutrition, her hay is said to be GREAT quality.

And, welcome! Please enjoy all the info on here!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The mom looks definitely pregnant and they both look like they have significant hair loss on their undersides which I am surprised no one has mentioned.

Have you treated for mites?

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
No I have not, I haven't had them long, what would be a safe mite treatment to use with them being pregnant? And i looked at the pellets I will be ordering some Kleenmama's Tue (payday lol). So I should get them the alfalfa pellet since they are pregnant? Thanks for all the info and advice you guys are great.

Evelyn

Cavy Slave
The mom looks definitely pregnant and they both look like they have significant hair loss on their undersides which I am surprised no one has mentioned.

Have you treated for mites?

I was about to ask the same thing, they have hair loss, you should take them to the vet.

Melissas2pigs

Cavy Slave
The nearest Guinea pig vet is 2 hours away, will my normal vet be able to handle treating mites and not misdiagnose like I was reading someone else had trouble with?

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
My piggie Olivia recently had 2 baby boys. Your pig is pregnant, because that is what Olivia had looked like.

You'll need to seperate the boy pigs from mama at 21 days old (no later.) You will need an emergency vet number incase if there are problems. You will also need to baby proof your cage, so the babies can't get hurt or escape.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The nearest Guinea pig vet is 2 hours away, will my normal vet be able to handle treating mites and not misdiagnose like I was reading someone else had trouble with?

You can treat pregnant and nursing sows with ivermectin safely. If you go to guinealynx.info it tells you how. But you can buy ivermec online or at most horse/tack/feed stores.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Mites can be treated with ivermectin, but you have to get the correct dosage. However, for anytime your Guinea Pig is ill, most dog/cat vets will not know things about Guinea Pigs. (Even "exotic vets" will give bad Guinea Pig information) Guinea Lynx has a list of cavy-savvy vets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.