Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Disney's "Pets and your family" disgusts me

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
Today while watching the disney channel a common "episode commercial" about kids and their perfect families and lives with their cute little pets came up. I always hated these commercials because they treat the pets "as parts of their family" but really treat them like some toys. Today though I was very disgusted. They showed some girl with her guinea pig. It was in a pet store cage which compared to the pig she had the pig was 1/4 of the cage's size. I'm not exaggerating. It was very sad. The pig was trotting slowly around the small food dish in its cage. All it had was a food dish and some water. No hay no hidey house, pigloo, cozy, ANYTHING!! THe food wasn't even pellets it was mixed seeds!!! It was like on the bare bones care. She said it was part of her family but I think otherwise. Answer this honestly. Would you put a family member for their whole life in a room four times bigger than them with some stale bread and old water and sometimes take them out to play???

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
That is horrible. Glad I don't watch Disney Channel anymore.

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
My editing time ran out. I was going to add a simple diagram I did quickly in paint to show the scene. Here it is.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's pathetic. I wonder if Disney can be contacted in some way to let them know that they just sent a big advertisement for 1) kids to beg their parents to go BUY them guinea pigs, at a PET STORE and 2) to make them live in tiny cages, without hay or proper food and veggies! These kind of things make me so mad because there's so little you can actually do to make it right. I highly doubt that Disney will air another episode with proper guinea pig care... but we can all dream, right?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If someone can find a contact for the Disney Channel, we should definitely let them know about this.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They showed a rabbit that lived in a hutch year round too. The girl let him run around the yard sometimes.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yeah... sadly, the TV world is not the best when it comes to pet care. Or most of anything, for that matter.

Peaches

Cavy Slave
I saw one spot this morning for a girl with 35 pets. 2 hampsters, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 gekkos(i think) and a crapload of birds.......this girl was 9

I think taking care of a pet is a good learning experience for a kids but this is ridiculous.

luvfamrap

Cavy Slave
I agree with peaches.This girl would not have the time to really take care of all her pets.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
That pisses me off so much! I am 14, so i just getting off of Disney Channel, THANK GOD! PEOPLE CAN BE SO IGNORANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
god . . . i just feel bad for the pig, it would be like being stuck in jail. All alone with no room. I can't imagine!

littlebear

Cavy Slave
I am still young I am the same age as Guinea_Gal. I still watch Disney I saaw that Its so horrible. I have two piggys it hard enough to take care of both of them before I go to school. And the girl someone was talking about has 35! Also that cage in humane and I know how to contact disney!

Cavies4eva
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Well, to be fair, I think the girl's family helps and yes, they do have a lot of animals, but they seemed cared for to me, or at least clean from what I saw. Maybe space is an issue, but they weren't like living in dirty conditions or starving. I don't think the girl does it all by herself and she said it was hard to take care of them all although rewarding. I think that should be enough to ward off the next kid to run out and get 30+ animals.

Peaches

Cavy Slave
True. It looked clean for the TV screens. Hopefully it is that way day-to-day. I guess the other thing for me is besides school and the animals, what time does this girl have for anything else? Assuming each animal get a fair amount of play time/attention.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
This is sort of off topic, but the same general idea... I saw Dr. Dolittle the other night and the guinea pig, Rodney (voiced by Chris Rock) was absolutely hilarious and definitely the best character in the movie! They got so many piggie idiosyncracies and habits absolutely perfect in the movie, but they made one major error: they showed his cage as being TINY, wire, and having... a wheel! Ugh. It made me not even want to watch anymore!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yeah, and what do you think happened to the poor pig after filming ended?

Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I was only 8 when i bought my first guinea pig "Henry" at a pet store with a tiny cage. It was probably 2x2.5 feet. My parents and i never really knew much about guinea pigs, except for what the people at the pet store told us.Henry was held constantly, in a clean cage, with his own wooden house my dad and i made, but he never did get hay. We gave him pellets, water and fresh veggies once in a while, but i still feel regretful to this day that i didn't give him the life of a king that he deserves. that is why i have dedictated myself to my three pigs now and treating them all like the queens they are. we are only human and so we are going to make mistakes, especially when real lives are put in our hands, but it is our job to fix out mistakes as well.

I do think that disney channel is horrible though!!!!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I heard about that too. A local rescuer has them. They were the luckier ones. They usually take rabbits and dispose of them by hiring someone to shoot them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.