Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C A few C&C cage questions

helencalla

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I am new to guinea pigs, we have 2 10month old boars that we 'acquired' when we bought a second hand cage not having been told they were living in it at the time and would also be delivered!

They have been arguing about the house in their small cage (its a medium size standard one sold at pet shops) and so I have decided to build them a much bigger cage.

I have a couple of questions. Is it ok for their cage to be on the floor? They currently live in the lounge as there is nowhere else in the house that they will fit. I have noticed that some people with home made cages have fleece or similar lining their levels, is this safe? How often does it need to be cleaned? And how is it attached?

I'm sure I will think of more questions but thats it for now. Thank you for any answers you can give.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Yep, it's perfectly fine to have your cage on the floor. You can also make a stand if you like out of grids.

Fleece is a great bedding! I use it myself. No, it's not dangerous to my knowledge. You place an absorbent layer underneath your fleece, such as towels, puppy pads, mattress pads, etc., then you just lay your fleece down after washing/drying it 3-4 (so the pee will wick through to the absorbent layer). If you have pigs that like to burrow, then binder clip the fleece to your coroplast, or place bricks down in the corner. You spot-clean once-twice a day with either a hand-vacuum, broom, mini-sweeper or just your hands...you wash the fleece and the absorbent layer (or change it if you have puppy pads) once-twice a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.