PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western NC

Nasubi77
09-15-10, 11:34 am
Well, it seems as if I am about to adopt a guinea pig.

My son's best friend and his twin sister (age 10) got a couple pigs earlier this year from a local pet store. They had babies soon after. :mad:

Yesterday, out of the blue, the father of these kids called me and said they wanted to get rid of the male because their daughter wasn't paying it attention anymore (go figure...) and did I want him. So, this afternoon, I will pick up the little fella. I'm not sure what happened to the female.

I had a guinea pig back when I was a kid, but his care was less than stellar. Seems like he was in a pretty small pet store cage, on cedar and fed solely pellets with a carrot or lettuce thrown in occasionally. This was before the internet, so no abundant sources of information were available then like they are now. But now, I know better.

I do reptile rescue - bearded dragons to be exact - so I am an advocate of research on how to care for critters since reptiles need such specific husbandry. So, I have been reading and sifting through information and I can see right away that some things will need to change. First, he is by himself. Second, I haven't seen his cage, but I'm sure it's just a pet store cage. He told me the cage was "very large" but who knows. I have no idea what his diet has been, but I will ask them. I feel like I know enough now to determine if he has been well taken care of or if they were just clueless. Since they bred them right off the bat, I'm going to go ahead and guess "clueless."

I have a feeling that tomorrow I will be ordering a lot of stuff to make an appropriate home for the piggy (whom I've been told is about as big as my chihuahua).

So, "Hi!" and thanks for the wonderful website and forum with all this valuable information!

cam767
09-15-10, 08:39 pm
Welcome! Grab a cup of tea and get comfortable. There is a lot of info on this site. Be sure to read all the stickies at the top of each section and even the old posts are chuck full of great info.

I think we've all had a pet "before the internet" that had less than stellar conditions. I know I once had a turtle as a pet when I was a kid. I still wish I could go back in time and do better by Charlie.

I'm so glad that this guy will be going to you and that you know to read up. Piggies are such great creatures. And way different from Beardies and other reptiles. While a piggy requires a good diet, plenty of hay, and a roomy cage, along with plenty of TLC I know that reptile husbandry is almost a science with humidity, temps, UVB, and Ca:PH ratios. While I truly miss my Water Dragon (he passed a couple of years ago) I have to admit I'm really, really enjoying the piggies (even with the blasted allergies!).

GPonnett
09-15-10, 09:12 pm
Welcome!! I am in Coastal NC. We love our piggies and this forum is the best for information. Thank you for agreeing to take in this piggie, and realizing the importance of a friend. Not sure if you are near Charlotte, but All Creatures Rescue and Sactuary may have a buddy to adopt (they are in Charlotte and Raleigh, but cover the whole state very well!). I rescued a small herd of pigs this summer, with 2 pregnant sows and found homes for 13 guinea pigs. I am planning to be an official foster home for this rescue later this fall. Anyway...good luck with your new guinea pig and welcome to this site!!!

Nasubi77
09-16-10, 06:10 am
Thanks for the welcomes!

Jed is home with us now. He has been taken better care of than I expected, actually. They did provide constant timothy hay and pellet food (don't know which brand, though) and I'm not sure how often they fed fresh veggies, but at least often enough where they could list off his favorites and tell me which ones he doesn't like. His cage is 20"x40", which works out to about 5.5 sq ft, so not tiny, but not quite big enough, either.

Right now, he has hay for bedding, which I will switch to aspen because I keep that around for my ball python. Once I get in the swing of things, I may try fleece or towels as bedding. I don't really want the extra laundry, but if he'll "go" in a designated litter spot, I think the fleece would be ideal. He doesn't have nearly enough toys. They only had him a cardboard box as a hide and one wooden bead type of toy that is attached to the side of the cage. My daughter added in a stuffie for him, and this morning when I checked on him he was cuddled up with it. Awww...

He is gorgeous, and really is about as big as our chihuahua, Here's a couple pics!

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/Nasubi77/DSC_0271.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/Nasubi77/DSC_0270.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/Nasubi77/DSC_0278.jpg

I love the way you can see his bottom lip pooched out in that second pic.

Take care!

brindyzoeycandy
09-16-10, 07:19 am
What a beautiful Guinea Pig!

GPonnett
09-16-10, 01:01 pm
He is so handsome!

Nasubi77
09-16-10, 01:06 pm
What a beautiful Guinea Pig!

Thank you! I'm about as proud as if I had birthed him from my own womb, lol. :heart:

Duffinvt
09-16-10, 01:12 pm
What a gorgeous guinea pig ! Welcome to the site. There is a lot of info here and you'll get some good advice, too. Read, read, read the nutrition sticky posts. They give you lots of ideas on vegetables to feed and there are sample menus as well. Have fun !

rabbitsncavyluv
09-16-10, 01:56 pm
What a handsome Satin silkie boar.

Fleece is usually better for long hair pigs. You probably want to go to guinealynx and read up up issues with Satins.

cam767
09-16-10, 07:12 pm
He is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congrats on the new member of the family!

Nasubi77
09-17-10, 05:41 am
What a gorgeous guinea pig ! Welcome to the site. There is a lot of info here and you'll get some good advice, too. Read, read, read the nutrition sticky posts. They give you lots of ideas on vegetables to feed and there are sample menus as well. Have fun !

Oh, believe me, I have been read, read, reading for 48 hours! I have a pretty good grasp on the nutritional requirements. My fridge is FULL of veggies for the lizards and for Jed. They all eat better than my human family! And unfortunately, GP veggies are slightly different from beardie veggies. Beardies need dark leafy greens like collards, mustards, turnips, and shouldn't eat any "lettuces" iceberg or otherwise. And of course, the GP needs the lettuces and not really the darker greens. Beardies focus on a calcium diet, while GP's focus on a Vit. C diet. So, while they can share some of the veggies and fruits, now I have to keep stuff for both.

The past two days, Jed has been getting a plate of Romaine, bell pepper and some celery. The pellet diet that came with him is one with the colored pieces and nuts and seeds and all, so I have ordered some Oxbow cuisine, but he's stuck with what he's been used to for a few more days. He does have lots of timothy hay available, though.

I do have one question that I haven't seen addressed. How big of pieces should his veggies be? The lizards need them all cut up into bite sized pieces, but from what I've seen, the GP's can take bigger pieces because they can gnaw off a bite, right? I just tore the Romaine into large pieces and cut the celery and pepper into about 1" chunks, probably about 1/4" thick.

And rabbitsncavyluv, thanks for the advice about the silkies. I didn't know what type he was, so that gives me a springboard to do some more research in that area.

Oh, I also found out he will be a year old in October.

Thanks, y'all, and have a great weekend!

blackarrow
09-17-10, 06:09 am
I'm about as proud as if I had birthed him from my own womb, lol. :heart: Let me just say I'm awfully glad you didn't! lol

He is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had hair that great. Welcome!

LauraBean
09-17-10, 07:45 am
Welcome! I always like seeing fellow North Carolinians here! This really is the best place to go for anything you could ever want to know about caring for guinea pigs.
Your piggy is so handsome! I adore that long hair. How do you resist the temptation to put bows in it? :D

Nasubi77
09-17-10, 07:58 am
Welcome! I always like seeing fellow North Carolinians here! This really is the best place to go for anything you could ever want to know about caring for guinea pigs.
Your piggy is so handsome! I adore that long hair. How do you resist the temptation to put bows in it? :D

Well, obviously bows would emasculate poor ol Jed. I was thinking a nice braided pony tail (piggie tail?) instead. :p

Sirene
09-17-10, 08:18 am
Well, obviously bows would emasculate poor ol Jed. I was thinking a nice braided pony tail (piggie tail?) instead. :p

Haha! I have a Silkie myself StandsForTreats' Hair - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/21295/ppuser/15071)

and I have to second the fleece bedding for keeping his fur clean. When I got him, he had sort of a "chili bowl" cut all round, so no fur actually trailed on the floor, but then it started to grow... and grow... To be honest, since he's been on fleece I haven't really cut his hair at all, just trimmed out the occasional mat (like 6 small mats in the past 8 months) where a piece of hay or poop has gotten tangled. Otherwise, he's been amazingly "easy-care"!