Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Which size C&C cage would be best?

sarahb83

Cavy Slave
My daughter (7-years-old) wants a guinea pig for Christmas. I am planning to either build or purchase a C&C Cage.
For now, I am planning a 2x3 cage. I want to use fleece bedding for 2x2 of it, and then aspen and/or CareFresh for a 1x2 "kitchen" area. If I have a short coroplast wall (no higher than 3 or 4 inches) separating the fleece area and the kitchen area (to hopefully minimize hay being scattered everywhere), will that leave enough room for her piggie to run around? Or should I build a 2x4 if I want to have 1x2 of it be a "kitchen" area?
I appreciate any comments or suggestions!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you are going to make a separate kitchen area, it should be at least a 2 by 4.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Agreeing with what rabbitsncavyluv said, 2x4 would be best.
Also are you only getting one pig? Guinea pigs are social herd animals that do much better in groups of 2 or more. I would recommend you read here: Guinea Pigs Social Life

sarahb83

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link, Silverbeat. I'm glad I started researching piggies a couple of months ahead of time instead of waiting until December and making mistakes concerning the little guys.
Since the minimum size C&C for 2 piggies is 2x4, I should do at least a 2x5 if I want the kitchen area, then?

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Just remember that you will have to be the primary caretaker of the pigs.

If you adopt a pair of sows, you could make it a 2x4 for the kitchen, but a 2x5 would definitely be better. If you adopt a pair of boars you will need a 2x5.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Honestly I would make a 2x4 and make a loft upper deck for the "kitchen". Most likely you willl fall in love with the guinea pig and go out and adopt another so that way you will also have extra room. I did the exact same thing lol. Started with just 1 and now i have 3 only 6months later

sarahb83

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone, for your input! I'm hoping to purchase my grids tomorrow, and I am still trying to find a good deal on coroplast in my area. I'm debating between a 2x4 and a 2x4 with a hay loft. Either way, I'm planning to build it on a stand made from the grids so it will have storage underneath.
And after reading about how well pigs do in pairs, I am definitely planning on adopting 2 sows.
Thanks again for your help!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
My bit of advice is to make the cage as big as it can possibly be. Bigger is always better. If you could make a 2x5 and have a loft, do it, that would be great! Good luck!

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I saw you live in FL. I would definitely look up GE Polymershapes (also called SABIC Polymershapes), just Google it. There is at least one in FL, probably more and there is one in my area but I'd prefer not to say exactly where I live. The one I go to sells a 4x8 sheet which is plenty enough for a 2x4 and a loft, for $10 in white, I think the colored ones are a bit more, though.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone, for your input! I'm hoping to purchase my grids tomorrow, and I am still trying to find a good deal on coroplast in my area. I'm debating between a 2x4 and a 2x4 with a hay loft. Either way, I'm planning to build it on a stand made from the grids so it will have storage underneath.
And after reading about how well pigs do in pairs, I am definitely planning on adopting 2 sows.
Thanks again for your help!

This is great to hear!

sarahb83

Cavy Slave
I saw you live in FL. I would definitely look up GE Polymershapes (also called SABIC Polymershapes), just Google it. There is at least one in FL, probably more and there is one in my area but I'd prefer not to say exactly where I live. The one I go to sells a 4x8 sheet which is plenty enough for a 2x4 and a loft, for $10 in white, I think the colored ones are a bit more, though.

Thanks for the tip--I'm in Northwest FL, so the closest one is about 6 hours away! :sad: But I have a list of local sign shops that I'm planning to start calling tomorrow. If all else fails, my local Home Depot has it; but I think it's only in 2 ft. by 3 ft. sheets, so that would take a lot of taping to make it work.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Aww, that sucks.

Sign shops would probably be the second best place to get it from. My first coro was from a sign shop, the guy was more expensive but he pre-scored and cut for me which was nice as at the time I was somewhat confused. Some Home Depots have coroplast, it normally just comes in white, but they are small pieces and they are more expensive. Sometimes you have to ask for corrugated plastic which is just another name for coroplast. Once though they tried to sell me something for roofs, lol.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
If your looking for coro, The cheapest place to get is at a gas station. Ask them if they have extra coro for you, and they may give you some! thats where I got mine from, and it was free! But if you want plain white, you would have to buy it from somewhere else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.