Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n My brother and his meat!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
My brother is an absolute meat freak. We went out to eat saturday, and I wanted to go to an all vegetarian restaurant. He refused to go because he thinks if we go out, then there should be meat. Huh? So, my mission is to crack him. He doesn't understand why I don't eat meat and it's frustrating.

So, I want you to tell me why you should be a vegetarian. Why is it so important to you. I really want to show these responses to my brother

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I am vegitarian because I KNOW nothing is on my plate that suffered, had it's throat cut, trakea ripped out, and was left bleeding to death. I know that I am helping the environment, and my body, by not eating meat.

Taken from goveg.com:

We’re heart smart and cancer-unfriendly. Vegetarian women are less than one-fourth as likely as meat-eaters to get breast cancer, while vegetarian men have a 46 percent lower chance of suffering a heart attack.

Vegetarians live longer, healthier lives. One 21-year-long study that compared meat-eaters and vegetarians showed that the greater the meat consumption, the greater the death rate from all causes combined.

Vegetarians save an acre of trees each year. In North America, Great Britain, and throughout the world, forests are being destroyed to create pastures for livestock.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
3 words: I feel healthy. I suffer horrible cramps when I eat meat. I just never knew why before. So the funny thing is when my parents told me to "finish my steak" they were indirectly contributing to my abdominal cramps.

So if meat is so harmful to my sensitive inards what is it slowly doing to everybody elses'? I wish I could convey that to my loved ones as well. (At least the piggies are with me. Though I guess it's a bit much to ask of the cats :) )

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Im not a vegitarian, and I doubt I ever will be, (dont take me wrong I LOVE ANIMALs) because the thing on your plate is already dead, already cooked, already gutted, so what can you do about it?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
*Piglets-Angel* said:
Im not a vegitarian, and I doubt I ever will be, (dont take me wrong I LOVE ANIMALs) because the thing on your plate is already dead, already cooked, already gutted, so what can you do about it?
The average full vegitarian saves 90 lives per year. That's what you can do about it. It's called supply and demand.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Slap is right.

Think about it like a pet store. If you don't buy your Guinea Pigs from a pet store then there is less demand from the breeders to breed more.

The less meat you eat, the less demand there is for cattle, pigs, chickens, etc...to be bred to be butchered.

I'm not telling you to be a vegitarian Piglets-Angel. But if you just reduced your meat consumption you would make a big differance. Try eating meat at only one meal a day and try to eat red meat only once or twice a week. There are so many veg options now that you will not suffer and most likely you will look and feel healthier.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
If you knew how that thing was gutted and the mindset of the people gutting it, you really wouldn't want to eat it anymore. Trust me ;)

dona83

Cavy Slave
I think it all comes down to personal choice just as I eventually chose that oh I don't want to eat meat anymore, or oh I don't want to smoke anymore, oh I want to live healthier... and if a person still chooses to eat meat then simply educate them but let them make their choices, it's not something we can ram down their throats. Remember as kids we hated it when our parents forced us to do something, but whenever they taught us something and left us to use that knowledge in anyway we please, then we eventually made our decisions, and I think we all turn out okay. Regardless, I think Piglet does have a point there in having her brother actually experience a vegetarian restaurant at least once... I'm extremely sure there's gotta be something he'll like there. But don't force it on him... just make a plea with him to at least make an effort to understand why you made your decision, and understand that not everything you eat is, well, guinea pig food. :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I actually wasn't making a statment on vegitarianism, I was making more of a comment of what happnes to your food while it's being processed (not killed)

My husband and I work in the food processing industry. My husband still eats meat, but watching how they prepare meat was the last straw for me. I cringe when I see hot dogs.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I am a vegetarian for several reasons:

1. Health. I know this may sound stupid to some people as I'm "young" and "shouldn't need to worry." However, I believe that it is the most important time to start living healthy when you're young. It's the foundation of your life you're building, what with your bones (calcium) and such. If you don't build anything for the foundation, you're sure going to sink later on. Now, I know that I'm probably the healthiest person in my circle of friends. I'm also the one with a little bit of a stomach, not by any means fat, just a little bit chubby at the waist. A lot of people think of vegetarians as tiny-waisted, skinny people because, after all, we just eat vegetables right? ;) That's a laugh. And, yep, I do say I'm healthy even through that bit of flesh--I'm a three-sport athlete, a runner, and I eat healthy. I know I'm healthy. So, my physical appearance doesn't scare me at all. Just thought I would put that out there as it's something I used to be bothered by a lot, not that I am not now, but it's less so. And, contrary to popular belief, a vegetarian diet is great for people who play sports! The key: EAT YOUR PROTEIN! You have to try a little harder to get it than you would if you weren't veg, but it's not really that hard! :)

2. Animal Rights. It's terrible--please see www.meetyourmeat.com. And don't think, "Oh, it's just one farm"; it's the cast majority, sadly.

3. Again with health, but my family is prone to cancer. I want to do everything in my power to prevent this. I exercise, eat right, and don't smoke (can't as I have allergies and asthma anyhow, haha smoke!) so I'm hoping with all my heart that I don't get it. If not eating meat also helps me here, as it's been shown to do, I'm all for it.

Hope this helps! And hey, it doesn't mean you're "less of a guy" or something. There are plenty of people I know who would think you're more of one for it--including myself.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
*Piglets-Angel* said:

Ok forget this post, I am now a vegiterian and its mUCh better!!!

dona83

Cavy Slave
That was quick :) But just like me hehe. I bought some Yves salami today (yum!) and some vegan cheese (kinda yucky but it was ok with the salami in a sandwich hehe)...

For lunch I had tofu teriyaki and for dinner I had an inari roll, an salad roll (it has avocado, lettuce, carrot, pickled spinach, and cucumber inside), and a miso soup.

Oh did I mention I'm a sushi chef and so that's why I get to eat these things every weekend. :)

bromers

Cavy Slave
i dont know why everyone is so fussed with meet anyway. I feed my family meat free products all the time they never know. infact last night i cooked a meal for them using meat free mince and they never evan knew the difference

Piglet

Cavy Slave
OH! On saturday I said I'd make dinner, so I made yummy quorn (meat substitute) lasagne. They whole family, including my brother, said it was delicous (sp?) and that he would be prepared to try more quorn products! So, yay!

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
I'm not vegetarian, and I support the choices of the people who choose to be vegetarian. I admire you and think it's great that you are living a healthy lifestyle. I don't think you should preach to the non-vegetarians though. Educating is fine...but don't let that break up family relationships. (this is in reference to the original post by Piglet-and no, I'm not attacking her or anyone else)
I hope you understand my point here. Educate-but dont set out to "crack" anyone. If your brother is anything like my family they're going to see your point and join your lifestyle on their time and on their terms. You won't be able to force them to do anything they don't want to do. Continue to get your point across, (for example, showing him the Meet your Meat video) and then stand back and let him make his own decisions.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
That's great Piglet! I'm very happy for you. :) Maybe you could look up some vegetarian meals, and ask your brother if he would try it.

Nonamed
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
When I read Piglet's post I took it as that she wanted more flexibilty from her brother, not total conversion. Piglet should have the chance to choose where the family eats once and a while. It wouldn't kill him to have a veg meal or two. I would have a very difficult time staying veg if my husband wasn't supportive of it. He has had a veg meal ot two in the past little while

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I understand what you guys mean - in no way am I preaching to my brother. What I wanted was to get him to see why I am a vegetarian and to educate him on vegetarianism. I know that he will never fully convert - he likes it too much to ever give up. I have shown in the london punks and meet your meat video and I've talked to him about it. He doesn't give me any stick anymore - he allows me to be a vegetarian without asking why I am one.

bromers

Cavy Slave
good for you my family still eats meat like its not going to be here tomorrow. they have it atleats 2 times a day evan 3 on sundays.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.