Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Questions for the first vet appointment?

MogwaisMom

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone. I FINALLY got an appointment for Mogwai at the vet's. Since I've never taken a guinea pig to the vet before, I want to make sure I ask all the right questions. I want to know that she's healthy and I want to know for sure that she's a girl. Other than that, do you all have any suggestions of things I should ask? Even with regular doctors, I never assume that they're going to tell me everything.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
Im bringing my pigs to the vet for the first time too today! I think they can check if she is a girl for free, because they didn't charge anything for my friends pig. I think im just going to bring the family, just to make sure Heather is not a Henry and to check the babies. Im bringing them in a big box, because the babies can excape out of the other carrier. Some pigs don't like the vet, so looking away may be needed. Hope all goes well with Mogwai!

GuineaPigJoy

Cavy Slave
The first thing I'm going to ask(Since I suspect one of my girls is pregnant) is to make sure all of them for females and the Shelter accidentally sexed them wrong.

Ask basic health questions. And ask the Vet about his experiences with Guinea Pigs and small pets like Guinea Pigs. You can ask the vet how long he's been a vet and such. That usually determines how we chose our vet for our puppy.
The first vet we went to for our puppy was only in for 2 years and he said our dog was healthy when she was sick!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.