Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Guinea Pig Eye Problems ?

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My skinny pig over the last night, has had his one eye cloud over. But the odd part is that he has a little bubble almost of discharge on his eye that does not seem to move. I know that the milky discharge is normal but his eyes is cloudy blue and that "bubble" is kind of worrying me. I'm not sure if its just discharge that is maybe sticky and isn't moving? or what the problem would be.

I'll try and get a picture of the eye when I get home from work.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear the news. Is it possible that he poked it and it is tearing up to protect. Maybe when you get home it will be gone. Keep us updated.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I'd take him to the vet right away, eye problems are very serious!

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I've been looking for a small animals vet in my area. My vet for my dog and cat admitted that he is not very experienced with guinea pigs. So I've been calling around. Does anyone know roughly how much a small animals vet appointment would cost?

I have my sister at home keeping an eye on him. I was going to separate him from his cage mate, just in case he is in pain. As it may stress him out, do you think I should or just leave him in there?

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig vet check-ups usually cost around $50. I would take him to the vet, just making sure its nothing serious.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
My trips cost 58.50, but I find they are worth it. You wouldn't want your piggy to have damage to his eye like a corneal ulcer, they can do test to see if there is damage done and you can get drops to prevent infection and promote healing.
As for leaving him with his cage mate, I think it might be more stressful for him to be seperated. If the cage mate isn't doing him any further harm I would leave them together.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
I agree with what was said. Your little piggy could be seriously injured and loose his eye. Please take him to an exotics vet. If you tell us where you live, maybe one of us can recommend a cavy savvy vet.

My visits cost me a fortune to be honest $55/animal just to walk through the door, but it is well worth it.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I live in Toronto, Ontario. I spoke to an animal hospital that seem to be well experienced with exotics, they said there pretty free today so if I wanted I could drop him off anytime.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Please don't hesitate and take him in. He might have injured his eye on some hay or scratched it. Eye problems usually don't just go away, they get worse.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm planning to go and drop him off on my lunch break .

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Please keep us posted! My little guy is partially blind from an eye problem that his previous owner didn't have treated, so I'm really glad you're taking him in! Hope all goes well.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I hope so to, my friends skinny that she had passed away due to eye infection complications so, I'm very worried.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
What all happened to your friends skinny? What other complications?

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Well she got it because someone who adopted it from the shelter she was volunteering at brought him back saying he was sick. He had scabs all over him from not being mosturized and was very thin. She took him in. So there may have been other problems with him to start. But he had an eye infection were his eye started off just have more discharge then normal it then led to the eye basically looking as if it was going to fall out, all around his eye even his face on that side was very swollen. They were taking him to the doctor and he was given all sorts of medicine to treat it. Eventually they had to get a heat lamp because he was constantly shaking and cold. He later on that month passed away, the eye infection still hadn't been treated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.