Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Olivia had her babies!!

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
Olivia is now a mother of 2 little angels!! Im crying now, because im very scared. There is blood in the cage, and I found little red blobs. Olivia seems to be doing fine, but its the babies im worried about. they are sitting in the corner shivering and look sad. I put blankets around her so the babies are okay. Olivia is a little bloody, and I see little blood tracks in the cage. Is this normal??? please help me, im very worried! :weepy:

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Watch to make sure that Olivia stops bleeding and make sure that she starts to nurse th babies. Also provide a good hiding spot, since they may just be scared. From what I read, some spotting is normal. I would also look up as much info on the web as you can to prepare yourself. I just had a rescued sow deliver 3 weeks ago, and I have one that is expecting. She was bleeding last week and I did lots of research. Good luck and keep us updated. I know it is nerve racking, but I'm sure it will work out.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I hope all will be well with mama and babies. Let us know how they are.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
The babies are doing great! they started nursing, and are even moving around. They won't eat veggies, and only one of the 2 ate alfalfa hay.

moosar

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on the successful delivery.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Wow!! That was quick! Congratulations! Hope all goes welll!

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Yeah! What a relief. I am so glad all is well. They will start eating veggies and hay in a few days. Congratulations!

Evelyn

Cavy Slave
Yeiiii I am so glad she had the babies, I hope you post some pictures so I can see them please , I can imagine how tiny they are, aww!! I am so jealous :D

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
They made it through the night!! Jake (what I call him or her) Wont stop running around! crazy little one!! Sydney (the other one) Doesnt move as much and mostly sits in the hidey! Im making a pellet mash this morning with cavy cuisine (need to buy cavy preformance) and veggies.

I forgot to mention, That one pig didn't make it :sorry:. I call him Dead Sammy. He will always be with us and I loved him the few seconds he was alive. he is happily eating veggies in the sky :rolleyes:.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I don't know much about pregnancy/babies, but, why are you making a pellet mash? I thought babies could eat solid foods after only a few hours of being born?

R.I.P Sammy!!

Can't wait to see them!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Ya you don't need to be making a pellet mash, they can eat hay, veggies and pellets.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
The babies ended up eating only a bit of pellet mash. Heather and Olivia ate most! Jake tried eating hay but he couldn't pick it up.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
babies still feed?

Olivias babies ae now 3 weeks old, and today im working on seperation. I walked into the room, and the babies were feeding. Is it alright to seperate them? Do they still need mommy? I don't want t seperate them if they are still feeding.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If the pups are 21 days old today, then you need to separate the male pups from mom regardless if they are still nursing or not.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Definitely separate today... He will cry and cry for a few days and it'll make you sad, but he'll be ok. My baby is now 3 months old and whenever we stick a syringe (we did mite meds for a while) in his mouth he will suck on it like it's his mother.. :) Mine also tried to suckle on his new adult male buddy for 4 days after we intro'd them. LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.