Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Should boars be neutered?

Angela~Anaconda

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

So I have 2 boars, Brownie(3) and Wall-e(1), whom are both not neutered. I've been doing research for over 4 years now on piggies (there's always something more to learn) and I've herd and read, some people suggest neutering because it benifits the health of your guinea pigs.

I personally do not have the money to do so, mainly because there is no female in the cage, nor do I even have one. However, that said, my guinea pigs health is my main priority when it comes to them both, and well, if it will contribute to their health, I'd most definitly save up to get them neutered.

What are your thoughts on it?
Would you suggest for me to get them neutered? Reasons?

I know some people do because it's healthy in the long run. If you don't have females, I don't see the reason to. Of course, me being me, that's not good enough reason for my judgment. I just wan't what's best for them, and if getting them neutered is what will be best, I will.
It's money wise that, burns a huge whole in my pocket. Also the pain, not from me, but from the piggies.

Would it absolutly be neccessary?

Sorry for all the questions and blaber, but I just want what's best. Is it totally neccessary, or can boar guinea pigs live a long happy life, not neutered.
Have you ever had a pig, not neutered, who lived a long healthy life?

Thanks so much everyone, I truly appreciate it!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
One good reason for neutering boars is this will greatly reduce the risk of impaction, now is that a reason to get them done? I don't know, I am not neutering my boars. I give them tons of exercise and I really hope that will help the muscle in their hind ends stay strong. I think not neutered boars can live a very healthy life with proper care from their owners.
Here is a great site about Impaction and cleaning the boar guinea pigs behind.
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
The risks do not outweight the benefits in my opinion unless you have females that the boar would be able to live with and you have an extremely healthy animal in which the risk of surgery would be greatly reduced. I don't see a reason to have the procedure done if they are not going to be living with females.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.