Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm new here and wanted to say Hi!

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
We will be getting our first pig in a couple of weeks. She is a first pet for my 5 year old son (ok, who am I kidding! She will really be mine, all mine!). But no worries! I totally understand and am prepared for the idea that I will be the one taking care of her. No problems there! She will really work out to being a family piggy only we will always say she is my 5 year olds. He will be expected to help with her care but won't be responsible for it all.

We have planned the cage. I'm working out the food. And I am reading everything in site to be sure we start out right with everything.

I am having a little trouble finding the answers to some of my more specific questions. (I'd say one or 2 questions in each care area.) But I'll just keep reading and looking and reading...

I'm a stay at home mom so no worries with time to care for her! We have a 5 year old boy and a 16 year old girl and my husband is totally on board with this who pig thing. So no lack of people to cuddle her!

Off to read read read!

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
Please start out right by adopting a pair of guinea pigs from a rescue or shelter Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and check out the cages on this site.

Just wanted to stress the points PAIR and RESCUE OR SHELTER. As I'm sure you're reading about, piggies are social creatures, and even if you may be home with him/her all the time, that can't replace the companion ship of a SAME-SEX friend.

And the rescue/shelter thing. This forum is largely dedicated to controlling the over-population problem and bringing in the piggies that may otherwise be sent to the gas chambers. These pigs in rescues are not abused, neglected, and un-loving. They are not dirty. They are not at all inferior to store-bought pigs, and, in fact, rescue pigs will most likely have better care taken after them and be more socialized. And many rescues already have same-sex bonded pairs of cavies which can make your job MUCH easier.

For the first time getting pigs, and hopefully two, I would suggest at least a 2x4 (grid, not feet) cage, though don't go insanely large to the point where cleaning it becomes overwhelming and the idea of cleaning it regularly keeps you from doing it. I started with a 2x4 with two pigs, but now have expanded to roughly the size of a 5x4 for my five piggies. And that all happened within a matter of 2 months.

These piggies will steal your heart. If you have any questions, ask them. We're always here to help. Obviously it's nice that you're doing your reading, but if you still have any lingering questions, we'd love to hear them and put in out two cents.

Welcome to the family, and we look forward to many updates and pictures!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to GPC!!!

Please read the stickies at the top of each forum section, they are full of great info!

I would recommend rescuing(adopting) a same sex pair of cavies( or a male/female pair with an altered boar/sow), they really do ned the company, they are so much happier together!

I would love to see some pics of your piggie(s) when you get them!

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
We are adopting our piggy. Not from a shelter so much but from a bad situation. We do plan to get 2 pigs but we are starting with 1 right now.

Jacob's little friend's pig had babies. He has seen and played with these pigs since day 1. I don't mind taking one because the family is learning as they go as well. They have separated the pair so no more litters.

We might be able to get 2 pigs from the same litter but I haven't been able to positively sex the other one that isn't homed yet. If I can positively sex the other one we will take 2 sisters. If not we will take the one and then get a second from a shelter in a little while.

As for the cage. We are planning on one that is 4 feet by 3 feet right now. I can't get any of the C&C stuff here so we are using some of the shelves instead. We might can push it to 6 feet by 3 feet but I think that will be out limit. I also plan on using fleece for easier cleaning.

I know that adopting from a shelter would be best. But honestly a guinea pig is never something I have thought about wanting so had I been left to just getting one from a shelter we wouldn't be getting one at all. This way we will be keeping this little girl out of a shelter because she will have a long happy healthy life here.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Welcome to this forum and to owning guinea pigs. It is a wonderful experience and this forum has great information.

This way we will be keeping this little girl out of a shelter because she will have a long happy healthy life here.

I am glad to hear that your friends have separated their guinea pigs to avoid more babies. You are doing a good thing. You are adopting (even if its not from a structured shelter) opposed to supporting pet stores and guinea pig breeding.

Good luck!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. You'll find lots of good info here on this site. I took baby pigs to the vet to sex them. When the first ones (from an unplanned litter) were male ( I have females) my vet did not charge me as I had to return them to the family, who had another person interested, by the way. Months later, when I finally found females (from an unplanned litter too-different family, etc.) I took them to the same vet and when I got the news they were indeed female, I had him do a thorough health check at that time. It was reasonable, like $20 per pig.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I took baby pigs to the vet to sex them.

I am glad to hear that your did this. I am planning to do the same thing with the pups from the litter that my rescued sows have. Right now, I am having a hard time confirming one of them, and I don't want mistakes before I adopt them out to the families that are waiting for them.

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the idea about having the vet confirm the sex. I'll keep that in mind. The one little girl we picked out was easy to sex. I was able to flip her over pretty easy and she was pretty clear. The others I haven't been so lucky about getting them turned over. (or held up.) They are all use to being handled but they go to wheeking and squirming and so I just think I'll try again later.

Jacob visits and holds his pig every day. I go down about every couple of days with him. We took a picture of her at 2 days old and I will try to get another one later this week and then the week we bring her home. Jacob (at only 5 years old) has had a little trouble understanding that she has to stay with her mom. It seems a little easier concept to understand with kittens (for example) because they are tiny and helpless. But with the piggy looking "perfect" from day one he just hasn't really understood so well. But having the picture of her has really helped him understand better.

We haven't named her yet. But here she is... (2 days old)

DSCF0136.jpg

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Ooh! What a pretty little girlie-cue! Does she have one pink ear?

MOC_Mummy

Cavy Slave
What a cute guinea pig! She's adorable. Also, welcome to GPC! It's a great site. :)

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
Yeah one ear is more white/pink then the other if I'm remembering right. She also has one all black leg. Her right leg you can see it in the picture.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
First of all WELCOME!

Second of all, that is the cutest little pig I've ever seen. Isn't it amazing how right when they are born, they have their hair, their eyes open and they are just mini pigs? I find that to be really cool. Anywho, don't let me bore you too bad with my rambling. If you need anything let me know!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
She's a real cutie!!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Awwwww....to precious!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.