Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

signs of labor

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I just want to share that I am spending the night watching my one of my rescued sows, who appears to be starting labor. She has has a very small amount of blood, and she will not come out of the kitchen area. She occasionally reaches under to lick at herself. Her abdomen is very tight, but no actually obvious contractions yet. She has been eating non-stop...veggies...then pellets...now hay. I am a little nervous, because I have read about all of the possible complications. And I am reading everything I can about labor and delivery again, to prepare. We were very lucky with her cage mate who delivered 3 healthy pups two weeks ago without a sign that anything happened.

I do feel prepared, I have 2 vets locally(but none of the emergency vets in my area treat exotics) I do have a personal connection to use if necessary, but hoping all goes well.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
My fingers are crossed everything goes well for all!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Fingers and paws crossed here! Please keep us updated!

blizNwally

Cavy Slave
Fingers crossed for you, my pigs will wheek for your sow!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I do have a personal connection to use if necessary, but hoping all goes well.

When I read this I couldn't help but think of you and your sow as being on some gameshow. :p

Good luck, I hope all goes well. :goodvibes

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Update - No babies yet. After some bleeding last night, I stayed up with her and she had no signs of contractions or labor. So, I took her to the vet. We did an ultrasound. She still has at least 2 living babies. It was difficult to assess if there is a 3rd, because of size. The vet feels like her pubic symphysis is separated a small amount (which is hopeful that she is not fused). She is eating, drinking, in no signs of distress and so...hoping that nature will take a safe and healthy course in the next couple of days.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have experience with pregnant sows that have had bleeding? She still has at least 2 viable pups inside and is acting fine. She is eating a lot, drinking, and moving about the cage normally. I am monitoring her closely and the vet is on standby tomorrow and Sat AM. But everything I have ready says that bleeding is not normal and go to a vet. I am just concerned and wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I am thankful that Bella had 4 healthy pups today and that everyone appears healthy. I have seen all four pups nursing, and beginning to popcorn and play. Bella is active, eating, and drinking.

Reflection on these events...there was more blood then I expected (compared to her cage mate who gave birth 3 weeks ago and what I read). Not to mention the fear of her bleeding last week!!

Just to clarify (as most of you know)... I do not breed. I rescued these guinea pigs that were pregnant when I got them. But to anyone who has thought of breeding...DON'T!!! I researched, stressed, slept next to the cage numerous nights, paid for vet visits, and was a worried wreck today and for the last week!!!. It is not worth it. Thankfully...all are healthy, but it was very stressful.

Here are the pictures. (Sorry for the last minute hidey house for the pups.)

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Awww very cute pictures! I am glad all is well!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
awww. Beautiful mama, glad all went well with both sows! Babies are so cute! Are you keeping any from her other the other mama?

I adopted a gp recently from someone on craigslist, and I'm about 95% sure she's pregnant. I've had her about 30 days now, and she has almost doubled in size. I thought maybe in the beginning it may just be her growing since she's a baby herself, but I'm pretty sure she is. Here is to hoping my gp has a safe delivery! I'm also pretty much a nervous wreck at the moment, it's very stressful.

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
So cute! I'm glad everything went well, how are momma and babies doing?

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Mama is shrinking in size and babies are growing fast. They all are very healthy, thankfully. I have actually found a home for all of the babies, and C&C cages are being built for all of them. Sad to say good-bye, but I will be glad to be a 4 guinea pigs and have a little less work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.