Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Eggs & milk

dona83

Cavy Slave
Might be an obvious answer but are free-range chickens for eggs treated good? I mean obviously they are treated better than chickens for mass-produced eggs, but I think they gotta be treated good, period. How about milk? Do the cows used to make organic milk get treated good as well? Well I found one, Horizon Organic Dairy, says their cows are treated with respect, dignity, fed 100% organic food, and not giving anti biotics or growth hormones. anyone actually see these farms for themselves?

Well my fiancee's also on board too, I told her about it and she told me to show her the videos and now she's convinced that she wants to join me in becoming vegetarian...

Lots of questions but I just gotta make sure I got everything down pat because just as i quit smoking cold turkey after years of trying, I want to make sure my journey into vegetarianism is realistic and sustainable.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yes, on the egg carton of free range egg's it is always said that the chickens are treated well - they have time to walk about etc. We buy organic free range eggs. I'm not sure about milk though. We buy organic milk, but I don't know if that means that cows are treated well. I always though organic meant that the animals are not fed anything bad.

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
dona83 said:
Lots of questions but I just gotta make sure I got everything down pat because just as i quit smoking cold turkey after years of trying, I want to make sure my journey into vegetarianism is realistic and sustainable.
Congrats! I also quit smoking 7 months ago cold turkey after having smoked for 20 years

dona83

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
I'm not sure about milk though. We buy organic milk, but I don't know if that means that cows are treated well. I always though organic meant that the animals are not fed anything bad.
Horizon Dairy says that their cows are treated with dignity and respect and milked 3 times a day simply to relieve stress from milk buildup. They also have a two stage program for treating sick animals, vitamins and extra servings of healthy food in a relaxing environment in the first stage, and antibiotics in the second stage, but in the case of the second stage the cows don't get returned to the milking herd.

Do cows only produce milk for their offspring or do they pretty much produce them all the time?

dona83

Cavy Slave
cangirl said:
Congrats! I also quit smoking 7 months ago cold turkey after having smoked for 20 years
Congrats to you too! Yah I started in 1999 when I was 16 (boo me) and actually I did pause in 2001 for a whole year, started again, and finally after trying since the very start of school semester (school semesters are not really the best time to quit smoking! The agony!), I've been smoke free since the beginning of the semester... 3 months and counting!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Good for you! I personally go with Soy Milk. I dislike it, but I feel better drinking it (The organic kind tastes nasty) and I only eat the free range eggs. I don't eat meat of fish, either.

Your making a good choice.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
My husband quit smoking cold turkey when I first met him. I told him that I will not kiss, date or marry a smoker. He smoked since he was 13 years old and quit when he was 24. He had been smoking for 11 years. Im so glad that he quit.

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
dona83 said:
Congrats to you too!
Thank you =) I started when I was 13 in about 1984 (I'm 33 now) and quit in September. I tried going on the patch but proved to be allergic to the glue so cold turkey it is. So far, so good.

vegan

Cavy Slave
https://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php here you go the myth about free range

laura220

Cavy Slave
Actually the free-range chickens aren't really treated that much better. They are kept in a low roofed badly ventilated building. There are so many cramed together they really can't move at all. When they're caught, they're clubbed.

I don't eat eggs at all any more unless they're in baking.

dona83

Cavy Slave
Yea I read about that... unfortunate... I'm gonna cut down on eggs drastically -- use "egg" whites whenever possible, and just eat eggs whenever I have the once in awhile cravings. With milk, I can substitute with soy milk with everything except for a few things I cook. I'm Asian [but born and raised here] so I already liked soy milk in the first place, way before it ever became popular in North America -- give me Sun Rise brand over Silk brand anyday, if you've never tried Sun Rise you don't know what you're missing.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I prefer So Good. But I'm not sure if you can get that outside of Canada. I think it's yummier then regular milk. Give me vanilla soy milk and Special K any day :) Lots of iron in that combo.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
If the chicken are kept in buildings they are not free range.. they are barn eggs.

vegan

Cavy Slave
dona83 said:
Yea I read about that... unfortunate... I'm gonna cut down on eggs drastically -- use "egg" whites whenever possible, and just eat eggs whenever I have the once in awhile cravings. With milk, I can substitute with soy milk with everything except for a few things I cook. I'm Asian [but born and raised here] so I already liked soy milk in the first place, way before it ever became popular in North America -- give me Sun Rise brand over Silk brand anyday, if you've never tried Sun Rise you don't know what you're missing.

Eggs whites, you need double triple the eggs so it kills double triple the birds

vegan

Cavy Slave
laura220 said:
Actually the free-range chickens aren't really treated that much better. They are kept in a low roofed badly ventilated building. There are so many cramed together they really can't move at all. When they're caught, they're clubbed.

I don't eat eggs at all any more unless they're in baking.

Whats the difference. You eat eggs, except their baked.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well on my eggs carton, it says they are free range. You can get barn eggs. The free range chickens are definately treated better.

carly

Cavy Slave
free-range is just a pretty label.
the animals are not actually treated any better, all it means is that they get a TINY bit of extra room but not even enough to improve their conditions.

i don't eat eggs anymore, & i try to stay clear of milk.. sometimes i get a craving for cups of tea, so i'll add a little bit of milk.. but thats purely because i can't stand soya milk.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Some people have problems finding baked goods without eggs. At least they are trying.

laura220

Cavy Slave
I know but it's hard. I haven't been able to find egg replacer around yet for when I bake something. Everybody who lives with me still eats eggs, only my sister is vegetarian. She thinks that she can't stop eating eggs or drinking milk because she won't get enough protein and calcium.

How could I convince her that she could? And what foods are good to get them from?

I like soy milk but I had to get used to it. The problem is we can't buy it cause I'm the only one who drinks it. It goes bad cause I'm not that fast in drinking it all.

Any advice on converting my brother and mom into vegetarians? My mom doesn't eat much meat but still sometimes. My brother makes fun of me about not eating milk(he's 14).

The only difference between free-range eggs and non is the label and there are no wire cages between the birds. But they're still stuffed in there so tight they can't move.

Butterscotch

Cavy Slave
A simple solution to the free-range problem (if it's a possibility in your area) local farmers. See if there are any farmers in your area that would be willing to sell you eggs from their chickens. My family had 50+ chickens on our little farm when I was growing up. We gathered all our own eggs, the chickens were "free-range" they had a coop they could go in at night and to nest and the rest of the time they could wander anywhere on our 40 acres that their little hearts desired (though they usually hung around the barns).

You may also be able to find a place locally that produces their own milk. They are harder to find now because of goverment regulations, we used to get ours from a local person, but then they were told they had to get a super expensive license if they were going to keep selling their milk so they stopped. I have also heard that with dairy cows it is actually painful for them not to be milked as they do produce milk daily.

If your area has farmers markets they wouldn't be a bad thing to check out either or you could always make the step and keep a couple of chickens in your backyard (if you have one) that's a very popular method here.

Hope this helped or at least provided some helpful info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.