Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Finding a BIG square table in Toronto

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Any ideas on where to get a table (or 2 tables put together) that would accomade a 3 foot 3 inch X 3 foot 3 inch C&C (with grids on the inside of the coroplast. My husband insisted it would be stronger and more cat proof that way. It also helps keep fleece in place) I can't make a cube stand as the cubes are on the inside.

I've tried IKEA, Home Depot, Canadian Tire and RONA so unless they have something new I don't think I wil find anything there.

I also don't want anything fancy or horribly expensive. I have a put it together yourself IKEA apartment and I don't have that much cash to burn on the table.

I really don't want to resort to building anything. A C&C was hard enough :(

TheAlmightyMiko

Cavy Slave
Hmmm....Could you possibly make a seperate stand out of cubes (one the size of your cage) with a top made flat with grids (so you basically would have a 5 sided cube) and then sit the coroplast on top of that? I'm not sure how sturdy it would end up being, but if you have extra cubes you can always give it a shot and if it doesn't work, just take it apart agian.
I'm not sure what else to suggest, but good luck!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I asked my husband (he's better at this stuff than I am. I think it's the math and physics skill that he has and I lack. I just make things look pretty) about that one and he said that with the size of it that it wouldn't be very stable.

I think I'm going to have to go with two tables. When I was looking at IKEA I was looking at single tables. Maybe if I double up on tables I can find something.

Thanks for the help :)

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
I don't know how handy you are, but maybe you can find some old legs from a atable (or buy 4 sturdy beams in the right size) and then buy a cheap wooden top (like triplex?) and paint the legs and side of the table and just hammer it together? You dont need a nice top because the cage is already under it.
I am happy that I have a handy boyfriend so when we get to live together he will make a custom piggy-table with storage-shelves underneath ;)

SushiNut

Cavy Slave
We bought a plastic 4-tier shelf where each shelf stacks on each other. We took each shelf (each has 4 legs) and formed a square with the 4 shelves. Our 3x3 C&C cage sits on it just fine.

Something like this, except it was plastic. Cost me $20 US

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of buying one of those from Home Depot. How did it turn out? What size did you get? I think there were a couple sizes.

I'm not very handy and we live in a somewhat small one bedroom apartment so we have very limited tools, but if we can't find anything we will build something.

I also saw some tables at IKEA. The type where you pick the table top and seperate table legs. But it would take two of them to fit the cage and it's a bit pricey.

I'm really liking the plastic shelf idea. I can be a little cheap sometimes and I don't think the pigs really care if it's a fancy table or not. I also don't want anything too tall since it's a 2 level cage. (OK so I'm picky and cheap. I blame it on genetics)

Last edited:

SushiNut

Cavy Slave
I got it at Walmart but forgot the brand, sorry. It works great, I store all of the food, hay, etc underneath and have a bedsheet inbetween the cage and the table to make it all look nice.

I forgot the size, but the length + width of a shelf (should be on the box) equals the length of the 'table' that can be made.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
If you want cheap, get two saw horses and plywood.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Quoth my husband "That is cheap! LOL" Thats a bit too tall slap_maxwell, the cost of the ladder to go with it would make it the same price as the plastic shelves ;)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Saw horses are only like, 3 or 4 feet high.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
At 4 feet high plus 2 cubes (a little over 2 feet) that would make the whole thing taller than my husband and I. If they were three foot my husband may be able to reach the top level but he really doesn't move that quick when it comes to the pigs. It took me forever to get him to clip thier nails (he's much better at it then me and most of thier nails are black.)

The plastic sheves arn't that tall, maybe a foot of the ground.

My cats are going to be so mad at me (the pigs might even be mad too) They like to "talk" to each other through the grids. When I have the pigs out for lap time the cats come over and they all groom each other (except Sakura. She's anti socail, but one of my cats groom her anyways :) )

pennick

Cavy Slave
Sabriel said:
Any ideas on where to get a table (or 2 tables put together) that would accomade a 3 foot 3 inch X 3 foot 3 inch C&C (with grids on the inside of the coroplast. My husband insisted it would be stronger and more cat proof that way. It also helps keep fleece in place) I can't make a cube stand as the cubes are on the inside.

QUOTE]

Whats wrong with this?
(broken link removed)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I live in Toronto. We don't have a Target. We do have a Walmart. I also wouldn't have room for the extra 30 inches on one side. That's why I'm looking for a sqaure table. I'm probably going with SushiNut's suggestion as it's the cheapest, shortest and I don't have to lug it too far. (Home Depot is pretty close to my place. Walmart is not. IKEA is really far away and delivery is pretty pricey for one item)

Thanks for the other ideas though. It's always good to have a backup plan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.