Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Got questions about neutering, Calgary

Chalsie

Cavy Slave
I got a male guinea pig as I had gotten 2 females before and they did not work with the guinea pig i already had, they ganged up on her all the time.
As a result i ended up finding them i good home and got a baby male guinea pig who's about 4 - 5 months old now.
I have a male and female guinea pig and I know theres risks to neutering my guinea pig.
My one question is how much can this cost up to?
What type of bedding should i use after?
Should I clean out cage everyday so no infection occurs?
How long does recovery usually take?

What products can i clean out my cage with when i finally put the two together in the same cage?
Bleach?

I am about to have my guinea pig neutered actually, and I've read up a lot so I'm pretty sure of everything!
It could cost anything from £40 - £70 but if your in america it can be up to $100 or more.
Mines £45 I got lucky as the vet who does it for animals in distress is great and very reasonably priced!
You should use Light coloured fleece or white towels so nothing gets in the incision site and you can see all traces of blood.
I'm cleaning the cage 3 times a day! Or as much as neccessary because they are very prone to infection after the op.
The recovery can vary from a week to two but you should wait 3 weeks before putting him in with females.
Hope I helped and please correct me if im wrong on anything

You only need to wait two weeks after neutering, but no less than that, to put them back with a female.

Prices are all over the map, but the main thing is find a vet who is very experienced with guinea pig neuters and has a great success rate.

My one question is how much can this cost up to?

It cost $110 for me to have my male neutered plus the cost of the antibiotics that he was sent home with. This price depends on which state and what area of the state you live in and can vary quite a bit. I'm in CT. The most important thing is to find an exotics vet who has experience neutering guinea pigs or even rabbits

What type of bedding should i use after?

My vet suggested fleece which they were on at the time already anyway

Should I clean out cage everyday so no infection occurs?

Yes. You should replace any soiled fleece or towels at least once a day

How long does recovery usually take?

My guy was walking around and acting normally the next day. His sutures were healed after about a week if I remember correctly. Please wait no less than 14 days to put him in with a female to ensure that any leftover sperm is gone.

What products can i clean out my cage with when i finally put the two together in the same cage?
Bleach?

A 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water works well. It's a natural cleanser. Bleach could be harmful for your pigs to breathe in.

It cost me $108 to neuter my male. There was no charge for follow up visits related to the neutering except for any prescribed medication. My guinea pigs developed abscesses. I followed every recommendation to avoid the risk of infection but it still happened. If I did it again, I would ask for an antibiotic after the surgery. I understand that many vets are very against the antibiotics since there is also the risk of complications from the antibiotics themselves. If you use an antibiotic, make sure you also give him a probiotic with it. Either way, he survived. I waited four weeks before I introduced him to my females because I wanted to be sure he was completely healed up. I replaced his fleece multiple times a day and disinfected with 50/50 vinegar and water. Don't use any bedding that can stick to the wounds.

The one vet clinic in Calgary that was recommended to me by quite a few people is the Calgary Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic ((broken link removed) ) It is located just off of Crowchild Trail near the old Children's hospital.

I haven't had my boy neutered yet, but I will be doing that next month. I inquired about getting my boy neutered and was quoted $240.00 (I think that is what is was--$70 for the visit plus $170 for the neuter.) I had to take one of my babies there last weekend for a UTI, and thought that Dr. Kerry Korber seemed to be fairly knowledgeable about guinea pigs.

As for your other questions, everyone else seems to have them covered.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.