Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage I need some feedback and Ideas!

Rimrose

Cavy Slave
Before anyone says it, yes there's hay in there, it's just covered up by the front corner and dearest Cola decided to rip all of it out of the hayball and spread it out. xD

Here is a picture for reference.
thrtjrtj.jpg

Anyways, on to the question. As you can see it's a 2x3 cage (actually 2.5x3.5) I feel that the kitchen takes up much needed lap running and playing space, but I am also worried that without the kitchen the fleece may start to get an odor? She does most of her "potty business" inside and behind her hut. Are there any ideas or suggestions for how I could eliminate the kitchen perhaps? Or make it less space consuming?
Making the cage bigger is not an option because it is in my room, and frankly I don't think my parents would like that idea in the least. Second of all, it would be great if the ideas didn't involve getting more coroplast.

All ideas are accepted and I'd love to hear them. :) thank you so much in advance everyone!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can take the kitchen and make the coroplast tray smaller to fit under the hut, and then put the hut in the center of the cage so Cola can run around the outside. That way she still has her potty area under her hut , and as long as you keep the cage clean (spot clean everyday) it should be fine for atleast a week. What do you use under the fleece?

Rimrose

Cavy Slave
Underneath the fleece I use a layer of newspaper, then a towel and then the fleece on top.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Underneath the fleece I use a layer of newspaper, then a towel and then the fleece on top.

I found that newspaper will make the fleece stink. So maybe you could do a few towels under the fleece? Or maybe find a cheap mattress pad and put some towels and fleece over them? I had one pig in a 2x4 for a while and only had to change her fleece once every 1 and a half to 2 weeks.

Rimrose

Cavy Slave
I found that newspaper will make the fleece stink. So maybe you could do a few towels under the fleece? Or maybe find a cheap mattress pad and put some towels and fleece over them? I had one pig in a 2x4 for a while and only had to change her fleece once every 1 and a half to 2 weeks.
Sounds like a good idea! We do have a lot of old towels laying around the house now that my mom just bought new ones. Perhaps I'll try that idea out!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good idea! We do have a lot of old towels laying around the house now that my mom just bought new ones. Perhaps I'll try that idea out!

That's what I did! When we were in the process of moving I took all the old towels and put them to good use lol. I wanted to take more but mother wouldn't let me. Needless to say no one has ever used those left over towels since we moved! And I have no clue where they are!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.