Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C finally my first cage and moe loves it.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
Just made my guinea pig cage for moe and I think she is in shock! She hasn't even moved she like ran around the whole thing that just looked around I think she really loves it but now I have no where to put it!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by no where to put it? Where is it now?

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
its on the floor! but i cant keep it on the floor i dont trust coroplast and i dont want it to ruin my new carpets! and ill post pictures of the new cage!:)

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
its on stands and stuff, i just dont trust coroplast on my nice new rugs! its a 2x2! im so excited i think she is gunna love it from her tiny cage where she could barely move around

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I hope you made it where you want to it to sit. C & C cages are quite heavy and hard to move around. I've moved my cage a couple of times. How large is your cage?

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
2x2 is the size

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you make it 2x3? 2x2 is too small.

JaneLiz

Cavy Slave
I'd agree that 2x2 is really too small. 2x3 would be much better.

You could make a stand for the cage (there's images in the gallery) if you can't find anything to place it on. Personally, mine sits on the floor and is fine, but I've had it raised before and can understand benefits of that.

GuineaMonsters

Cavy Slave
As long as you tape the corners and change the cage bedding when you should there should be no problem of leaking. I even had a 4 inch slice in one of my seams ( I got a little overzelous with cutting). I just put packing tape on and covered it and still have no problems with any leakage.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Coroplast shouldn't leak through, so I wouldn't worry about it ruining your carpet/rugs.

However, 2x2 is too small, you should expand to a 2x3.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
It shouldn't leak (mine doesn't), but you can always put a piece of old shower curtain liner or plastic tablecloth underneath it if you're worried. Just cut it to the same size so it won't show. I know other people have said it, but 2x2 really is too small. It should be at least a 2x3.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
thanks guys but my dad already spent money on the stand he build for her and my mom said i cant make it any bigger because she too agrees it is perfect for our guinea pig thank you:)

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
But it is not perfect. It is too small for even one guinea pig, let alone two (contrary to what some say, guinea pigs DO need buddies). I am sorry that your dad spent money on the stand already, but you don't have to use the stand. Coroplast is plastic. Plastic does not leak unless you cut too far and there is a tear. Use duct tape to secure corners and then you are good to go, it will NOT leak. My latest two cages have always been directly on carpet and I have had zero problems (for over a year).

A 2x2 is better than a petstore cage, so kudos for that, but it is still way too small. It is in your guinea pigs best interest to have at least a 2x3 cage so that they can exercise properly.

I had a 2x5 for three females and I felt that it was incredibly tiny and too narrow for them, so I added on the old 2x3 section to the side of the 2x5. They can now run laps at full speed without bumping into toys or the other girls.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
Moe can do laps run around and everything imy grids are larger than the normal sized one and. I can't get her a buddy my mom said no. So its staying the way it is she is a much happier pig

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
The larger sized grids aren't safe for pigs! A pig could get their head stuck in the hole. Safe grids have 9 holes across.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
Is anything I do not good enough for anyone

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
If you post on here, you're going to get feed back. It may not be what you want to hear but we are all just trying to help and give advice and let you know what we have found out.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I highly doubt she can really run laps properly. My Brindy is in a 2x2 cage at the moment because she got a URI so she has to be seperated. All she has right now is her water bottle, food bowl, hidey and cozy sack and it can only just fit that.

The bigger grids are not only extremely dangerous for pigs BUT it also doesn't actually add any extra space.

EDIT: It's not about it being good enough for "anyone" aka "us" but it's about your pig's health and happiness. If you are going to post about your cage that is below the minimum size then you are going to get people telling you you need to expand it.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
Well she can do laps we watch her everynight when I go to hceck in on her and I rele don't care if it doesn't meant the cage standars she is outside 99% of the time in her hutch and her cage isnside is just for rest its not rele bad her outside cage has wire and than I walk her around with her leash she gets plenty of exercise and ONE HAPPY PIGGG

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
You keep her outside most of the time?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.