Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New members bitten by the cavy bug

Reiki

Cavy Slave
Hi, we're a family bitten by the cavy bug. Mom, dad, and 8 year old son. We received coroplast and cubes off of freecycle and are eagerly designing our first cage, 2X4 with an upper level of some sort and a stand of some sort. We're planning on adopting or rescuing a bonded pair. My son wants boys, but we'll take what we get! We found a container today at Habitat for Humanity that I saw someone on the forums use for a litter box and for hay and we also picked up more fleece and some PVC connectors for toys. Yesterday we found some great fleece at Goodwill. It's amazing what can be found without going to the pet store! I'm guessing I should start using the blog feature here! Glad we found you and we'll update when we have our piggies. Peace y'all.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I think it's wonderful that you are using what you can recycle to make a fantastic C&C cage and are planning to adopt some pigs in need!

Make sure you post pictures of your new pigs when you get them!

JB's Dad

Cavy Slave
I just went through what you are going through. Believe me, you won't be disappointed! We just adopted three females Sunday evening, and they already make me laugh!

cuckooforcavies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your cage sounds amazing, and I'm happy you are getting boys from a shelter, NOT a pet store!!! I have 2 boys myself and they are the greatest things ever. Be sure to give us pics!

Reiki

Cavy Slave
I avoid pet stores as much as possible, LOL. For supplies and pets. I even went to the local general farm store to see if he had hay. No such luck, but he sure was pleased I came to him first and gave me the names of some other places to go too. He had alfalfa pellets. Can't snuggle up in pellets now, can ya?

Give me an independent or locally owned franchise at least.

I never try to buy new anyway, not without trying to find used first. It's my way of reducing the manufacturing load. There is already so much out there that's perfectly fine. I can't tell you how much I've seen over the years out there for guinea pigs in my favorite thrift stores, but of course, I wasn't looking for it then.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I have guinea pigs to adopt!!! Sounds like you definitely got the bug!! I am also in NC and we have had so much fun planning for, finding, and playing with our guinea pigs. It has been a fabulous family project and this forum is awesome for sharing information and learning about how to best care for your pigs, sometimes it is overwhelming...so many fun decisions! If you are anywhere near southeast NC - I have pigs for you to adopt, one of my foster pigs just had 3 babies today!!!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I can't wait to see the pair of pigs you guys get when the time comes. Hope you enjoy it here.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! I think it's wonderful that you guys are recycling and adopting. I wish I would have though of recycling when we got our girls... I hope you have a lot of fun on these forums and enjoy your future piggies. If you have any questions at all, I or any other member, will be more than happy to help you out.

Good luck!

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome! This forum has wonderful information. I have shared my home with many Guinea Pigs over the years, I just wish I had found this site years ago. It has definitely improved the lives of my piggies. I hope you get as much from this forum as I have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.