Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Baby wont nurse

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
I have been reading all the feeding advice. Thanks everyone. My surprise babies arrived Sunday, four of them. All seemed well but i notice one very little calm one who does not ever seem to be on the nipple. I have let it be alone with the mum, and even she is pushing her under her. The baby just sits there or snuggles. I gave it some pellet mush with squash and it took a little but that is it. Is it possible some of them just dont get the concept of nursing? Should i just resort to hand feeding? She is 2.5 oz but i just started weighing today. Thanks.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
I see that no one ever answered your questions. How is the baby doing? Did she ever get the concept of nursing or did you end up hand feeding her?

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
How is your baby? I am glad that you are weighing her. This is important. If there are still problems, I would definitely get a syringe and do hand feeding. A vet may be able to help make recommendations, also I had done some research and found some sites that give recommendations for a special formula. Good luck.

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. He/She, will go under the mother but does seem to latch on. I am now wondering if it is a tooth problem. She also seems to have some possible deformities as she looks like a little kangaroo. I will certainly take her to the vet if she stops gaining. She is eating mush fairly well and just today seems to get the idea of the water bottle and eats alfalfa hay. I will try some of the items recommended on other threads.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might post your question over at www.guinealynx.info on the Medical thread. There are many posters over there who are very skilled with baby pigs with problems, and they can give you some good advice based on many years of experience.

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
I know of that website and will look more at the medical thread. Thank you.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Is the baby a pink eyed white?

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
No. Black with some white stripes. Are you referring to lethals? I sure am learning a lot about these little creatures!

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
buckleyboo, If it has deformities and you suspect teeth problems, then I would suggest a vet visit, even if the baby is gaining weight. Once they start to lose weight it could already be too late.

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
Yes! I have spoken with the vet and will take it in. Thanks.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
I am glad to hear that. Let us know what happens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.