Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Something horrible happened...

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
I just calmed myself out of hysterics. My nephew put Nibbie in with my two males Jack and Brock. Nibbie is 5 and has never had a litter before. I don't know how long she was in there, but I didn't find her until after dinner. He's only 4, and I know he doesn't know any better, but still.

I know gestation is approx. 72 days, but how long is it before you start seeing signs of pregnancy? I'm praying she wasn't in heat, or they didn't quite catch her, or something... But I just need to be prepared for this.

If she is pregnant, is getting the c-section worth it? I don't have space or time for any babies if they do survive, and I don't know what I would do with them. Or would it be more humane to have her euthinized, which would break my heart.

Please your opinion and advice is appreciated.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can have a vet do an ultrasound to check for pregnancy .. or if your vet is experienced, a spay may be an option.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
At what week? This just happened today. I'm afraid my vet isn't very experienced with small animals.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
If you can find a vet that is experienced with small animals, it will be well worth it to get the emergency spay. I am definitely against getting her euthanized though. What state are you in? Maybe we can help you find a good vet in your area.
Or check Guinea Lynx:
https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

My vet [Dr. Roach in Canastota, NY] specializes in small animal surgery and successfully performed two emergency spays on two of my older sows, one was less than a week to term, and they did just fine afterwards.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Please don't euthanise her because of that. Get a good vet and make an emergency spay.
And, I know it's hard to convince little kids that the boys and girls shouldn't be together, I believe it would be good to have a nice conversation with your son about it. Sometimes we think they don't understand, but little kids are usually smarter than we imagine. It could spare you from going through this situation again in the future.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Is there any signs that they mated? Are her private parts wet? If you are using fleece and they mated watch to see if you see a plug come out, a small white worm looking thing. These are signs that I have read about. The chances are small that she was in season.

If by the small chance she is pregnant you will know in a few weeks and make a determination at that point to have her spade. If she is, in two weeks or so she will start drink a lot more water, this is one of the earliest signs. Then the vet could do a ultrasound and you can make the best decision at that point.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
If it will be okay for her, I would prefer to make 100% sure she is pregnant before I think of a spay. I don't want her to have to go through that if she doesn't need it.

Its really annoying now, though. The boys were blissfully unaware of her presense a few days ago, and now they won't stop biting at the cage bars or squabbling for dominance.

Oh and I live in Northwest Washington state. If I could find a good vet, maybe he'd let me double up my appointment and I can get my cat her rabies shot at the same time. :silly:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.