Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Guinea pig with mites?

onepigtwopig

Cavy Slave
Recently I noticed that my guinea pig has had extremely flakey skin, similar to dandruff. I thought maybe that he just had dry skin and was looking for solutions for that when I came across the symptoms of a guinea pig with mites. My pig's also been itching and nibbling at his sides - which I thought was just induced by the dry skin - and whenever I scratch him right in front of his flank he goes into a little fit and begins twitching and trying to nibble at his side. I was wondering if anyone else had a pig that had mites, and what symptoms they noticed?

And if he does have mites, is there a way to treat it at home? I read on another website that you can pick up a bottle of Ivermectin and treat your pig that way, but I wanted to verify that it was safe and effective before I started playing veterinarian. I live in a small town that doesn't have a small animal vet, but if it's more effective to take a mite-ridden piggy into a vet I'll do some snooping around in nearby towns and see if there's anywhere I can take him.

Anyway, any one notice similar symptoms on their guinea pig? And if so, any recommendations for getting rid of mites?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ditto.

Those are classic mites symptoms. Treat as soon as you can--mites can indeed be fatal.

DianneFutureRN

Cavy Slave
Both of my piggies had mites when I got them. I contacted a friend of mine who has horses to see if she had any ivermectin (the pour on kind) since it can be pricey. I lucked out and she did have some. Follow the dosage charts in the link from the previous post. You will need a 1cc syringe to measure the dose and your piggies weight. I used a kitchen scale. I treated each of my pigs and then about 7 days later gave them another dose. The flakes are going away and they aren't scratching as much. I don't know if everyone can see the mites but I parted the hair on their backs and I could see very small wiggly white worm looking things. I think they had a very severe case though. Don't forget to change all your bedding and clean the cage really good when you treat them.
Good luck!
(Oh, by the way, I don't have a vet in my area that does piggies either but when I called our local vet they had a girl in the office who raises piggies and she said that she has always consulted and used the info on guinealynx as a reference and has never had any problems!)

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I'm dealing with my first mites right now, I was too scared to figure out dosage by myself so I figured I'd see a dr first. I am so glad I did! After just one dose he is already doing much better. See a vet first and ask as many ivermectin questions as you can and get the meds from them. Mine only needed half a mg and it was hard for them to even measure and mix it into a syringe-able amount to use over 3 weeks..

Grandmar Cavy

Cavy Slave
Yes it is mites and you need to treat as soon as you can, Ivermectin is what I use, make sure if you have more them one piggy that you treat them all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.