PDA

View Full Version : Size Good for running space?

Llamasomething
08-06-10, 09:23 pm
I have a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft on one side of the cage, and 2 male piggies. It is a hassle to clean under the loft because that is their favorite place to sleep, and poop, so it accumulates in the corners very fast and can get under the fleece and into my towels as well :yuck:

I was ogling the adorable piggies in the pet store today (I know not to buy them, but there's no denying that the little fellas are cute) and I came across a dog bed, something like this: Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed - Beds - Dog - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753731&lmdn=Dog)

Would putting this across the 1x2 area under the loft allow for them to still run around enough in their cage? My only piggy who does laps is Stanley, and he can hurdle pretty well. He used to hop back and forth over his tunnel during floor time (About 6" high)

fresian.m
08-06-10, 09:31 pm
Think this would be great for keeping the poops out of the corners, nor would it hinder their zoomies. They could easily just hop on top of it. I think it's a great idea!

Llamasomething
08-06-10, 09:33 pm
Think this would be great for keeping the poops out of the corners, nor would it hinder their zoomies. They could easily just hop on top of it. I think it's a great idea!
Yay!!!!
I'm excited now. I bet they'll love it. It will be so squishyyy and soffttttt.

I want to go back to the pet store RIGHT now. But I don't think my mom will want to drive me xD

k9wife
08-06-10, 10:38 pm
That looks awesome. I hope it works out. When I try stuff like that for my 3 girls they just rearrange their cage to suit what they want. lol

Shauna&Kerri
08-07-10, 12:15 am
I have a smaller one like that and my runner (Kerri) just jumps on it and runs over it. Also, make sure you get one that is sturdy enough to hold up over many washings, because they WILL poop and pee on it and they start to stink pretty quickly. If you can get a good price on it then you might want to get 2 so one can be in the cage while the other is in the wash. Or if you sew, then you could do what I did and make removeable pads for the more heavily pottied areas of the cage. I just pull the pad out of the cage, shake all the poops off and throw it in the wash! A couple layers of towel, with a top layer of fleece, should work, and be easy to wash. Just make sure to allow extra few inches on each side, so it can go up the sides of the cage a little to keep everything from getting underneath!

Llamasomething
08-07-10, 08:54 am
I have a smaller one like that and my runner (Kerri) just jumps on it and runs over it. Also, make sure you get one that is sturdy enough to hold up over many washings, because they WILL poop and pee on it and they start to stink pretty quickly. If you can get a good price on it then you might want to get 2 so one can be in the cage while the other is in the wash. Or if you sew, then you could do what I did and make removeable pads for the more heavily pottied areas of the cage. I just pull the pad out of the cage, shake all the poops off and throw it in the wash! A couple layers of towel, with a top layer of fleece, should work, and be easy to wash. Just make sure to allow extra few inches on each side, so it can go up the sides of the cage a little to keep everything from getting underneath!
Yeah, the one I linked had comments that said it fell apart int he wash, but most other ones I can see say that they are machine washable on the tags. I was planning on just washing it whenever I change the fleece (1ce a week), because the whole idea of this one for me was to have it catch the poop xD

Sadly I am now a starving university student and I don't think I can afford a second one right now, but that is a good idea. I'll try and look out for one that has good reviews on being sturdy.

FlowersGrandma
08-07-10, 10:02 am
My pigs love to sleep under the ramp to the upper level (mine is 1x4) and like you said they also like to go in that area and of course I don't want it wet where they sleep. So what I do is put down two layers of towels on the whole cage. Then I cut mattress padding to fit under the ramp area. I usually will put two more layers of that down, then put the fleece down on top of that. THis not only gives more layers for them to wet through, but makes a cushier area for them to sleep in. They love it. I hang a piece of fleece across the loft area (since it runs the whole length of my cage, it covers the ramp), cut into fringe, and it makes a nice hidey in front of the ramp, so they can sleep there, and hide too. It's the most favorite hide out in the entire cage. And yes, it's the most poopiest. :ohmy: I just vacuum that area twice a day to keep up the poops. I change the cage twice a week (usually about every 4 days) and it's always dry under there when I do. The extra layers keep that area drier on their little bodies.

To keep poops from accumulating on the corners of my cages, I cut my towels or mattress pads too long for the cage by 3 " on each side. That way I can roll the ends a little to make little bumper pads along each side. If the towels aren't big enough (beach towels are exactly the same size as a 2x4) then I will just roll extra towels and lay on the sides and ends. Then I cover those with fleece. Not only does this pad the sides and give you extra absorbency if they pee, but it doesn't stop zoomies in any way. My boys love to lay their heads on it as well. lol Since I clip the fleece over the top of the coro, you can't see this extra padding once everything is in place, other than a little bulge around the outside edge of the cage. It's very soft and protects the folded edges of the coro from poop and pee and makes cleanup very easy since you just need to wipe every thing down and don't have to clean up the folds.

Llamasomething
08-07-10, 10:16 am
My pigs love to sleep under the ramp to the upper level (mine is 1x4) and like you said they also like to go in that area and of course I don't want it wet where they sleep. So what I do is put down two layers of towels on the whole cage. Then I cut mattress padding to fit under the ramp area. I usually will put two more layers of that down, then put the fleece down on top of that. THis not only gives more layers for them to wet through, but makes a cushier area for them to sleep in. They love it. I hang a piece of fleece across the loft area (since it runs the whole length of my cage, it covers the ramp), cut into fringe, and it makes a nice hidey in front of the ramp, so they can sleep there, and hide too. It's the most favorite hide out in the entire cage. And yes, it's the most poopiest. :ohmy: I just vacuum that area twice a day to keep up the poops. I change the cage twice a week (usually about every 4 days) and it's always dry under there when I do. The extra layers keep that area drier on their little bodies.

To keep poops from accumulating on the corners of my cages, I cut my towels or mattress pads too long for the cage by 3 " on each side. That way I can roll the ends a little to make little bumper pads along each side. If the towels aren't big enough (beach towels are exactly the same size as a 2x4) then I will just roll extra towels and lay on the sides and ends. Then I cover those with fleece. Not only does this pad the sides and give you extra absorbency if they pee, but it doesn't stop zoomies in any way. My boys love to lay their heads on it as well. lol Since I clip the fleece over the top of the coro, you can't see this extra padding once everything is in place, other than a little bulge around the outside edge of the cage. It's very soft and protects the folded edges of the coro from poop and pee and makes cleanup very easy since you just need to wipe every thing down and don't have to clean up the folds.

I have my fleece sewn to my towels, and it is about 6" too long for the cage so under the ramp their bedding is doubled around the edges/corners, but Stanley loves to pull at the edges and folds (Stanley looooves to get into and under everything) and then pooping into the folds! I even tried clipping the extra end to the top of the coro so they had a little wall of fleece on one side, but Stanley found a gap where the fleece ended and was running around under the fleece!!

My piggies are very Mischievous :rolleyes:

FlowersGrandma
08-07-10, 10:28 am
I have my fleece sewn to my towels, and it is about 6" too long for the cage so under the ramp their bedding is doubled around the edges/corners, but Stanley loves to pull at the edges and folds (Stanley looooves to get into and under everything) and then pooping into the folds! I even tried clipping the extra end to the top of the coro so they had a little wall of fleece on one side, but Stanley found a gap where the fleece ended and was running around under the fleece!!

My piggies are very Mischievous :rolleyes:
Mine will do that too if they can find a gap. I don't think there's a way to stop them if they can find a cap, it's like a cave to them. I have my fleece and towels separate, but my upper level is hard to put on without gaps because the ramp comes up in the middle of a grid. I have found the cheaper and thinner the fleece, the less likely they are to do this. Putting stuff for them to play with in the cage doesn't make a difference. Bambi will pull on it until it makes a hole for him if he sees a gap anywhere in the fleece. I have had to get rid of some sets because he stayed under it so much and it's too hot here for him to be under fleece all day even with AC. That's the same spot Bambi was getting in was where it stopped on the side of the wall at the ramp. I thought about double edged tape, but was afraid he might eat it. So now I just use cheap fleece, pull it really tight and clip it really good. I also put their food dish in that corner making it harder for him to get to the gap.

Shauna&Kerri
08-07-10, 03:57 pm
Yeah, the one I linked had comments that said it fell apart int he wash, but most other ones I can see say that they are machine washable on the tags. I was planning on just washing it whenever I change the fleece (1ce a week), because the whole idea of this one for me was to have it catch the poop xD

Sadly I am now a starving university student and I don't think I can afford a second one right now, but that is a good idea. I'll try and look out for one that has good reviews on being sturdy.

Keep in mind that these will not smell good after a week or be a healthy environment for your piggies! I have to wash mine at least every other day, because not only does it stink, but it stays wet. The bottom is NOT water proof and the urine goes all the way through and they are sitting in a stinky puddle if you leave it too long. That is why the pads are better. So now I place a pad underneath to absorb some of the moisture. Also I don't keep it in the cage 24/7, I put it in occasionally for 1 day, and when I take it out to wash it I don't put it right back in the cage.

Llamasomething
08-07-10, 07:09 pm
Keep in mind that these will not smell good after a week or be a healthy environment for your piggies! I have to wash mine at least every other day, because not only does it stink, but it stays wet. The bottom is NOT water proof and the urine goes all the way through and they are sitting in a stinky puddle if you leave it too long. That is why the pads are better. So now I place a pad underneath to absorb some of the moisture. Also I don't keep it in the cage 24/7, I put it in occasionally for 1 day, and when I take it out to wash it I don't put it right back in the cage.
It sits on top fo their normal bedding (2 layers of towels) so any urine that goes through (No water proof bottom here either) should hopefully sink into the towels.

I'll keep an eye on it for smelling/wetness. I have some fleece on top of it as well like a little carpet so it shouldn't be any different than having the towels underneath the fleece with regards to wetness.

I just put it int he cage about 5 minutes ago, at first they were SCARED of it. I had to chase them around the cage one by one until they finally jumped in it. xD I think they're gonna love it though (: I'd post a picture of my fluffy new cage, but I have a picture stuck in my Queue :grumpy:

Edit: I just also realized mine's made out of a type of fleece (Acrylic?) And even though it's not the kind you can use for bedding, it still seems to wick through it and through to the bottom layer easily.

Llamasomething
08-09-10, 10:58 pm
Just an update, I bought it on Saturday night and it needed to be washed (More because of fonzie's diarrhea scare than wetness or smellyness) Monday night, so this one seems to last 2-3 days between washings. The acrylic fleece and whatever is in the middle layer keeps the top very dry, the bottom layer holds the moisture. I just put it back in from the wash and stanley had a 30 second constant popcorning fit, he almost hit every wall of the cage (:

Just in case anyone was curious, it's the Snoozze brand, and it's a crate bed meant to fit inside dog crates. It held up in the wash really well and I put it int he dryer on low heat. I can even fit their hideys on top of it so it catches a lot of poop, and keeps it from getting broken into little crumbs when they do zoomies (:

Shauna&Kerri
08-10-10, 12:32 am
I'm glad it is working out for you! :)