Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Miss Fatty-Pants...

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
(Strawberry, that is) has gained over 180g in the 9 days she's been here... WOW, that's like 20g a day! :eek: She clocked in at 1034g this morning... I weighed her two days ago and she wasn't quite 1kg yet. She is HUGE.. I can hardly believe she's going to get bigger than she is... at least a third of her body weight has to be from the pregnancy.

She now weighs a full 101g more than Waffle, who was 80g bigger to begin with (he's currently weighing in at 933g.. he arrived at 924g, Strawberry was 845g). So he's gained 9g... Strawberry has gained 20X as much weight!

Now, she eats like a pig (ha!), but that kind of weight gain in a week, WHOA :eye-poppi She scarfs down her veggies like she hasn't been fed in a week.. and they get veggies at least twice a day... she always finishes hers (fairly quickly), waffle usually leaves about 1/4-1/3 of what I give him.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Is Waffle neutered?

If not, you have to seperate them ASAP!!

I would love to see some pics when the babies are here.

You need to separate male babies at 3 weeks(21 days), any longer than that and they can get the mother pregnant again.

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
Yes, he IS neutered, and no they are NOT living together right now!!!!

Seriously I'm starting to feel like a broken record? I'm about to stop posting about them because I feel like I can't say ANYTHING about either of my pigs without being jumped all over as if I don't KNOW that they need to be separated, like I'm some sort of ignorant moron who intentionally bred my pigs and wants them to get pregnant ASAP. Even if I give some back story (I realize I didn't here) it seems that people just JUMP to conclusions anyways, and I end up repeating myself about a dozen times in the same thread to clear up any confusion.

I adopted this pig already pregnant (if that wasn't obvious by the fact that I've had her only 9 days)... they were only housed together for ONE DAY here while I was sorting out housing, as I didn't expect they were a mixed pair when I went to go look at them (they were listed on CL as "a pair of texels" - I assumed that meant same sex, which was my mistake) and I wasn't prepared with two cages... but I separated them the next day, and had Waffle neutered the following Monday (just in case Strawberry wasn't already pregnant.. it honestly wasn't as obvious in those first few days as it is now - I made the appointment the day after I got the piggies.. he's separated right now not only because he could still get her pregnant if she had her babies now, but he JUST HAD SURGERY and needs to be confined while he heals!).

These pigs came to me matted, and filthy.. I am doing the BEST I CAN for them and in some regards I've already gone ABOVE AND BEYOND. I don't need to be treated like I'm stupid.

Forget I even said anything about her, okay? And when the babies arrive I will be sure NOT to say anything or post anything so that I don't have to explain myself ALL OVER AGAIN.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I've never had a pregnant pig but from the pictures I've seen they do seem to get rather huge. It does look not happy. did you try and find weight charts for pregnant piggies? That might make you feel a little more at ease.
I'm sorry that you feel attacked. I never assume anything! There is a lot to prepare with an expecting mom! Good luck with the pregnancy and I hope that you find what you are looking for! I would look at guinealynx for infor on mothers and babies. Also there are great threads here aswell.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
(Strawberry, that is) has gained over 180g in the 9 days she's been here... WOW, that's like 20g a day! :eek: She clocked in at 1034g this morning... I weighed her two days ago and she wasn't quite 1kg yet. She is HUGE.. I can hardly believe she's going to get bigger than she is... at least a third of her body weight has to be from the pregnancy.

She now weighs a full 101g more than Waffle, who was 80g bigger to begin with (he's currently weighing in at 933g.. he arrived at 924g, Strawberry was 845g). So he's gained 9g... Strawberry has gained 20X as much weight!

Now, she eats like a pig (ha!), but that kind of weight gain in a week, WHOA :eye-poppi She scarfs down her veggies like she hasn't been fed in a week.. and they get veggies at least twice a day... she always finishes hers (fairly quickly), waffle usually leaves about 1/4-1/3 of what I give him.

Where is it that you said you separated your male from the female?

Seriously I'm starting to feel like a broken record? I'm about to stop posting about them because I feel like I can't say ANYTHING about either of my pigs without being jumped all over as if I don't KNOW that they need to be separated, like I'm some sort of ignorant moron who intentionally bred my pigs and wants them to get pregnant ASAP. Even if I give some back story (I realize I didn't here) it seems that people just JUMP to conclusions anyways, and I end up repeating myself about a dozen times in the same thread to clear up any confusion.

Give the whole story if you don't want people to "jump" on you. Unfortunately I'm not a mind reader and I'm not going to search all your funky threads that you have posted to possibly piece together already incomplete information. Get over yourself.

I adopted this pig already pregnant (if that wasn't obvious by the fact that I've had her only 9 days)... they were only housed together for ONE DAY here while I was sorting out housing, as I didn't expect they were a mixed pair when I went to go look at them (they were listed on CL as "a pair of texels" - I assumed that meant same sex, which was my mistake) and I wasn't prepared with two cages... but I separated them the next day, and had Waffle neutered the following Monday (just in case Strawberry wasn't already pregnant.. it honestly wasn't as obvious in those first few days as it is now - I made the appointment the day after I got the piggies.. he's separated right now not only because he could still get her pregnant if she had her babies now, but he JUST HAD SURGERY and needs to be confined while he heals!).

No not everything is obvious, but now that you have explained it maybe people might know what the heck is going on.

These pigs came to me matted, and filthy.. I am doing the BEST I CAN for them and in some regards I've already gone ABOVE AND BEYOND.

We've all received guinea pigs in terrible health that have not been taken care of properly so I don't think you've gone above and beyond any other members on this forum.

I don't need to be treated like I'm stupid.

Forget I even said anything about her, okay? And when the babies arrive I will be sure NOT to say anything or post anything so that I don't have to explain myself ALL OVER AGAIN.

One person replied to you, not once did this person say you were stupid or even imply that you were stupid.

Instead of repeating yourself maybe provide links to other threads if you're that concerned about being asked questions and heaven for bid you decide to answer them.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sarahspins, I have to say I was one to repeat info in a previous post and apologized to you and meant it. You just have to realize that not everyone keeps up with all the threads and remembers who posted what. So 1frankie's reply to you was just the standard reply to someone who has a male and expectant female. Did frankie miss your other posts? Or has frankie been away.... or like me ... forget that you were the poster who detailed your situation in another post? Not sure. But we do want to know about the babies and I am sure nobody thinks you are stupid at all. Most of the people who post here are trying to be helpful and post in the happier and fun threads, a few are looking to pounce for any infraction - it's apparantly how they get their kicks. You just have to be tolerant of the former and have a thick skin and not be bothered by the latter.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Yes, he IS neutered, and no they are NOT living together right now!!!
You can’t expect every single person on this thread to remember your exact situation. There are thousands of members here and not everyone can memorize every single thing a member has said. Even you admit that you didn’t give additional information as to your situation with the pigs—so why do you expect us to know?

Frankie did not jump on you and nor did s/he treat you disrespectfully. You have to understand that as a pro-rescue and anti-breeding forum, people have a propensity to ensure that breeding isn't going on when two pigs of opposite genders are living together or being owned by the same person.

These pigs came to me matted, and filthy.. I am doing the BEST I CAN for them and in some regards I've already gone ABOVE AND BEYOND. I don't need to be treated like I'm stupid.
We're not treating you as if you're stupid. Some of our members are unaware of some aspects of guinea pig care and this forum makes it a priority to educate its members. You already knew what Frankie told you—and why is that a crisis?

Frankie was just trying to help. That's what a forum is about—receiving and giving help. If it's so hard for you to remind people of what is going on with your pigs, then you could instead provide links to previous threads or just simply re-write what's going on. There’s no rule that requires you to post about your pigs. It’s optional. If it’s so strenuous to post about them, then don’t. Nowhere does it say you have to

Seriously, what is the big deal? One person didn't remember what your exact situation was, and suddenly you shut out all help and assistance as if this is the worse thing ever?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Your pig is gaining natural weight during pregnancy. Consider this, though: There are up to five more mouths in there…so like humans, she needs to eat more to feed the offspring inside of her AND herself. Just keep feeding her what you normally do, and try to handle her as minimally as possible towards the end of her pregnancy. I would like to hear how the birth goes and it would also be interesting to hear about the pups.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ok, here's the deal. Instead of having a temper tantrum in a thread, you need to realize that not every single member is going to read every single thread. And even if they did, they may have a memory like mine and forget what some post I read an hour/a day/whenever ago said.

We also ask that people have ONE thread per issue and you have two in this forum about your pregnant pig. Your two threads split up the story so when you posted this thread, most people did NOT know the back story and know that you just had your male neutered. So, from now on, please keep ALL further updates about your pregnant pig here in this thread so there will be no further confusion.

If you feel people are jumping on you then it's because people generally don't like thread hopping to find the entire story. Thus it is for that reason we ask that you have one thread per issue. If you had put this update on your original thread in this section, none of this stuff would have happened.

For the record, no one called you stupid.

And now since several people have explained to you about not knowing the back story, it's time to get this thread back on track. So let's stop stirring the pot so to speak and help the OP with their questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

Who jumped all over you? And where? In this specific thread, you were asked if the pig was neutered and told you needed to separate the male and female if that wasn't the case. You didn't say Waffle was neutered in this thread, why would anyone assume that he was?

Oh, please, get over yourself. Not everyone on this forum is glued to your posts and not everyone is going to know the specific history of your pigs.

It's great that you've taken in these two pigs, it really is, but you aren't going to get anywhere or anything accomplished with this attitude that any and everyone should know everything about you and your story in every thread, particularly when you are starting several.

This is a very large forum with a number of members. Not everyone reads every thread and not everyone knows every story. If you don't want to be asked these questions or told what you should do, try being proactive and stating so up front.

edit ... Uh oh, Ly and I are in each other's heads again. :)

Last edited:

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Aaaaaaaalriiiighty then!
I am completely lost, but good luck with your baby pigs and I hope the mother has an easy delivery!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave

Look, I didn't mean for that post to offend you. Not at all. I did not see your other thread. Nor did I "JUMP" on you, I did not mean that post in any nasty way.

P.S(sdpiggylvr), I am a "she".

:)

blizNwally

Cavy Slave
Can we not start this again. It's the same people who were arguing with thecrazycatlady. EVERYONE chill, Okay? I think both sides are right in some aspects but we don't need to kill each other. Just pray the Strawberries pregnancy goes well :)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
People, let's get this thread back on topic (to the extent that it ever was on topic). There's no need for temper tantrums or meltdowns and there's certainly no need or cause for an argument over said temper tantrum and meltdown.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
It is best to keep only one thread going about your pigs so you don't have to repeat yourself.

Congrats on the new pigs. Hope the delivery goes well and they all live in harmony. Remember to baby proof the cage before the little ones arrive. If you can feel them move you have less than two weeks until they arrive.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
I would like to get the thead back on topic, also, as I am interested in the outcome of the pig's pregnancy and perhaps the original poster could benefit from advice from other members with experience in this area.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Off-topic Notice: Let's please get back to the original poster's topic! Thank you.

The next person or persons who do not heed this directive will receive an infraction. I'm tired (as I am sure the other mods are tired too) of the blatant lack of disrespect when a directive is given then not followed. I really don't like being mean or giving infractions but if you all leave me no choice, I do what I must as I am a moderator and the directives given are to be followed.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
I would like to get the thead back on topic, also, as I am interested in the outcome of the pig's pregnancy and perhaps the original poster could benefit from advice from other members with experience in this area.

The topic is the pregnant pig's weight gain... no? I've never had a pregnant sow so cannot comment on what is normal, but hopefully someone else can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.