Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cutie finally had her babies!

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave
Can't feel babies because piggie freaks when I touch belly

I am pretty sure my piggie is pregnant as one day we saw our 2 piggies in a private moment! We tought the male piggie was too young to mate but we were wrong. That happend April 27th! Before our Piggie (Cutie) was believed to be pregnant she would freak if we touched her belly and now it is even worse. Everytime I try to feel babies she totally freaks out and goes nuts and even bites me so i can not get neat her belly. Does anyone know a good way to touch her belly without her freaking out. Sometimes she is on my chest hanging out and she starts freaking out like I am touching her stomach except I am not touching her. Could that be the babies kicking her? Does anyone else have this problem with their piggies?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Re: Can't feel babies because piggie freaks when I touch belly

It could be. It could also be mites making her uncomfortable. this is a condition that would require treatment. Do you have any other signs of pregnancy?

Have you taken her to the vet to get it confirmed and make sure she is healthy?

Also, have you separated the male and female? This is very important, as she could get pregnant again almost immediately.

Just so you know, guinea pig pregnancy can be very risky. Here is some more information for you:

https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

Males can impregnate females as young as 3 weeks of age. This is why you must separate any baby boars from mom at exactly 21 days.

Can I ask if you intentionally got a male and female or what is the story behind them?

If she's very touchy, I agree, she most likely has mites. Mites cause a lot of pain to the pig and can make then nip or bite when touched.

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave

As for the mites...I have not taken her to the vet yet but wouldn't there be other signs that she has mites. I would think that she would scratch a lot. She has a healthy and shiny coat. I have had her since December 26, 2009 and she has not liked anyone touching her tummy since day one but now that we think she is pregnant its worse. She does have other pregnancy signs! She is drinking a lot more water, eating more and she has a rounded belly. For the past few weeks she has been extrememly moody. I remember when I was pregnant I was moddy like her!
As for the boy and girl! I totally messed up. We got the girl in December and we talked about getting a boy so they could have babies and so we did. I had no idea how risky guinea pig pregnancies were. I was just going to let her have babies once because i had heard if they don't have babies before a certain age then if they do get pregnant its deadly for them. Almost immediatly I learned how dangerous it was and regreted the decision but by then it was too late. I had read books on guinea pigs but it wasn't until I found this website when I was changing their cage to a C&C cage that I realized I did this all wrong. I realize now that I should have rescued and ones of the same sex. All I could do now is keep my piggies seperate and love them all to pieces. I love my two piggies :)

lissie

Cavy Slave

When did you get the boy and how long were they together? If they are both from petstore, it's very likely that they have mites.

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave

I got the boy the day after Easter so I think it was April 5th. The were together for a few weeks and one night my husband saw them doing their thing.

I just looked at the guineapiglynx.com website to look at the signs of mite infestation and she does not have any signs of mite infestation.

I did get them both at a pet store...different ones. Neither piggie has missing hair or sores. Both piggies have beautiful shiny coats. The other piggie does not mind when his stomach is touched. Who knows maybe when we first got her my kids did something to her belly and now she doesn't like being touched

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave

I finally figured out how to post pictures so I wanted to put a picture of my pregos. She is so shiny that sometimes when I take a pic there is a glare :)

lissie

Cavy Slave

Based on the date you've given, her belly would be pretty big by now if she's pregnant. Have you been weighing them? Did she rapidly gain weight recently? When did you separate the male?

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave

Is the picture taken recently? She doesn't look pregnant to me but I guess I can't really tell from a picture. Do you have any picture taken from the top? If she is pregnant, she will look pear shaped.

lissie

Cavy Slave

Have you separate the male? If not, please separate them now. Doing it once doesn't mean she's pregnant, you might still be able to prevent it.
Even if she's pregnant now, you should separate them. The male can impregnate the female again right after giving birth.

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave

The picture I posted is from May 3, 2010 so she wouldn't have been showing back then. Now she is kinda big! The thing is that my piggie likes to eat. She has even fought with my 10 year old for her bacon! I took her away before she could eat it but boy did she try. I have only found one thing that she runs away from...onions! Everything else she will at least try once.

Yes I have seperated them! I know that she could get pregnant again 12 hours after giving birth.

frillint

Cavy Slave

That's not necessarily true. When my Chloe had her babies. She had 2 and she barely showed she was pregnant at all, but I paid very close attention to her and noticed changes and then I could feel them. She only showed just slightly.

Based on the date you've given, her belly would be pretty big by now if she's pregnant. Have you been weighing them? Did she rapidly gain weight recently? When did you separate the male?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave

As for the mites...I have not taken her to the vet yet but wouldn't there be other signs that she has mites. I would think that she would scratch a lot. She has a healthy and shiny coat. I have had her since December 26, 2009 and she has not liked anyone touching her tummy since day one but now that we think she is pregnant its worse. She does have other pregnancy signs! She is drinking a lot more water, eating more and she has a rounded belly. For the past few weeks she has been extrememly moody. I remember when I was pregnant I was moddy like her!
As for the boy and girl! I totally messed up. We got the girl in December and we talked about getting a boy so they could have babies and so we did. I had no idea how risky guinea pig pregnancies were. I was just going to let her have babies once because i had heard if they don't have babies before a certain age then if they do get pregnant its deadly for them. Almost immediatly I learned how dangerous it was and regreted the decision but by then it was too late. I had read books on guinea pigs but it wasn't until I found this website when I was changing their cage to a C&C cage that I realized I did this all wrong. I realize now that I should have rescued and ones of the same sex. All I could do now is keep my piggies seperate and love them all to pieces. I love my two piggies :)

One of mine would freak out when you pet her. She would squeal and kick and just act like she was a total spazz. This happened all of a sudden out of nowhere. I was so freaked out about it. She didn't show any signs of mites.

We were getting another guinea pig so we decided to treat them both at the same time for mites. In about a week and a half she went back to her normal self.

Just because there is not hair loss and her coat looks okay does not mean she does not have mites. It isn't that expensive to treat them and since stress can bring them on it might be nice to have around. Plus treating her would rule out the problem.

There isn't really any loss in treating her except the fact that you don't want to. It doesn't hurt them, gives you piece of mind and possibly relieves your guinea pig of some major pain when you touch her.

Of course she just might not like you touching her belly in which case, if she really really hates it I would just stop.

Does she react to being touched anywhere else?

frillint

Cavy Slave

I do have a piggy my very 1st one Bella and she hates her belly and her sides touched. She will bite you. She is very sweet and loves to cuddle and be petted anywhere except those 2 places. On the other had my Chloe dont care where you pet her as long as you pet her.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave

I do have a piggy my very 1st one Bella and she hates her belly and her sides touched. She will bite you. She is very sweet and loves to cuddle and be petted anywhere except those 2 places. On the other had my Chloe dont care where you pet her as long as you pet her.

Have all your pigs been treated for mites though?

Sebastian is touchy, but he has been treated for mites so I know that is not a cause.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave

You could get the male neutered and then they could live together again. Our boar has six girl friends in one cage.

The operation wasn't that bad. Make sure you have a good vet and be prepared for abscesses afterwards.

From the dates you gave she should be due any time. Count 70 days from the first day they were put together and start watching for little ones. Can you tell is her hips are starting to separate? Run your finger gently down her spine until where her tail would be if they are bones on each side of your finger rather than feeling as one bone birth is close when they are 3cm 1/2" apart.

If she is not pregnant then it could be mites or ovarian cysts. Guess I would take her to the vet and have her checked out.

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave

Cutie is very sweet also but she does not like being touched on her sides or her butt either! She does snap if she sees you getting close. The funny thing is that now pregnant she freaks out sometimes when I have her on my chest and I am not even touching her. When she freaks I can see the babies moving and since the are toucing her belly she starts freaking out. I have had her since Dec 26th and I would have to say that she started with this as soon as she started feeling comfortable with us. The first few days she was terrified and didn't even make noise but when she started trusting me she started with the freaking out. The male guinea pig could care less where you touch him either. He is a bit of a spaz but in a different way! He's just crazy! Does piggie laps around the cage and popcorns a lot. He seems to be one happy pig!

Sirene

Cavy Slave

Are there any signs of birth yet? I think we must be right around 70 days now - correct?

Amy1981

Cavy Slave

Cutie is very sweet also but she does not like being touched on her sides or her butt either! She does snap if she sees you getting close. The funny thing is that now pregnant she freaks out sometimes when I have her on my chest and I am not even touching her. When she freaks I can see the babies moving and since the are toucing her belly she starts freaking out. I have had her since Dec 26th and I would have to say that she started with this as soon as she started feeling comfortable with us. The first few days she was terrified and didn't even make noise but when she started trusting me she started with the freaking out. The male guinea pig could care less where you touch him either. He is a bit of a spaz but in a different way! He's just crazy! Does piggie laps around the cage and popcorns a lot. He seems to be one happy pig!

Hopefully she'll get better once the babies are born. I hope you plan on getting the babies sexed and separated!

frillint

Cavy Slave

Have all your pigs been treated for mites though?

Sebastian is touchy, but he has been treated for mites so I know that is not a cause.

Yes, they have all been treated

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.