PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant hi im new here and have a pregnant piggy

hernebaylooby
08-04-10, 04:46 am
well first hi all im lucy and i have 4 piggys. One of my guinea pigs ( rosey) is pregnant i do not know how far along as she has been living with the male for 5 months unplaned. any way i know she's definately pregnant as she has grown about 1-2 inches each side of the stomach and the last few days when holding her i can feel what seems like 2 babies moving arround and i just wondered roughly how long after you can feel the babies do they give birth? thanks

lissie
08-04-10, 09:01 am
Why are you housig her with male? Please separate them immediately! Pregnancy is very hard on their little body. There's a 20% chance she will die.
Breeding Guinea Pigs (http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm)
http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Please be prepared for an emergency vet.

Also note that this site is pro-rescue and anti-breeding and anti-buying pets from pet shops.

Edit to add:
Are they living outdoors? Please note the dangers (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/25502-summer-coming-should-you-house-your-guinea-pig-outside.html) of housing them outside.

hernebaylooby
08-04-10, 09:15 am
Why are you housig her with male? Please separate them immediately! Pregnancy is very hard on their little body. There's a 20% chance she will die.
Breeding Guinea Pigs (http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm)
http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Please be prepared for an emergency vet.

Also note that this site is pro-rescue and anti-breeding and anti-buying pets from pet shops.

Edit to add:
Are they living outdoors? Please note the dangers (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/25502-summer-coming-should-you-house-your-guinea-pig-outside.html) of housing them outside.

hi i am also anti breeding and pet shop as rosey and buggs were pet shop brought and suposedly 2 males! also as stated in a pic of the two they have now been separated i never intetionally got rosey pregnant as i thought she was a he! also where does it say they live outside? they are out side in the day in normal weather conditions but at night sleep inside! i know you are only trying to give advise but i am only asking for advise and in the few hours ive been on here i have had nothing but making me feel like im not looking after my pigs properly and if i wasnt i wouldnt have been alowed to addopt buzz and woody from a rescue centre after a home visit to check i was able to look after them.

fieryone
08-04-10, 09:23 am
I think Lissie's questions come from the descriptions of your gallery pictures. They aren't very clear and lead people to assume that the male and female were housed together intentionally (although your post here says otherwise, people looking at your photos may not see this post) and it looks like they're in a hutch. Most times when pigs are in hutches, those are permanent living conditions. You may want to edit your photo descriptions a little so you can avoid similar comments if the pregnancy was an accident and they don't permanently live outside. Since this is an anti breeding, etc etc site you will likely get more questions like this without clearer descriptions.

hernebaylooby
08-04-10, 09:38 am
I think Lissie's questions come from the descriptions of your gallery pictures. They aren't very clear and lead people to assume that the male and female were housed together intentionally (although your post here says otherwise, people looking at your photos may not see this post) and it looks like they're in a hutch. Most times when pigs are in hutches, those are permanent living conditions. You may want to edit your photo descriptions a little so you can avoid similar comments if the pregnancy was an accident and they don't permanently live outside. Since this is an anti breeding, etc etc site you will likely get more questions like this without clearer descriptions.

thanks fieryone i do understand and have stated on buggs and roseys picture that the only reason they were together then was because we had only just discovered rosey was a rosey and not a ross lol ! my pigs are out side in the day to roam on the grass in a big run that is attached to a two story hutch so if the want to be inside they can and in the evenings ( arround 5pm) i bring them indoors for the night in their pig cages which by the looks of it im going to have to get more to house the babies lol ! buggs has his own mini run and single level hutch in the day xalthough hopefully im lucky and have a boy then buggs can have a possible friend now he is all alone :(

lissie
08-04-10, 09:58 am
hernebaylooby, sorry I made you feel bad. I saw the pictures and didn't see they were already separated. For the outside hutches, I didn't assume. I phrased that in a question form and posted the link in case you didn't know.

There has been so many peope who showed up on the site that insisted on outdoor housing.

Duffinvt
08-04-10, 12:06 pm
Hi and good luck. I think you might want to baby-proof the indoor cage and keep the mom inside until she gives birth. It sounds like she is due soon. Others may be able to guide you on how to tell when she'll deliver. Or a search of this site might give you some info.

rabbitsncavyluv
08-04-10, 01:26 pm
There is some info on gestation here http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

pregnantlucy
08-04-10, 04:25 pm
good luck on the pigs!

TwitterPopcorn
08-04-10, 08:02 pm
Typically, from when you can first feel them move it is two weeks until they are born. If you run your finger down her spine and about where a tail would be you can start to feel the pelvic bones open when they are about 1 inch apart birth usually will be with 24-48 hours. Good Luck. Make sure to baby proof the cage. Sex the pups and separate the boys from mom at 21 days and put them in with dad. If you can get some alfalfa hay it would be good for Mom and pups.

hernebaylooby
08-25-10, 08:55 am
rosey has finally had her babies! she gave birth to 4 but sadly 1 passed away :(

Sirene
08-25-10, 09:00 am
I'm sorry you lost a baby. How are Rosey and the others doing?

guineapiggirl94
08-25-10, 09:50 am
lissie, why are you trying to scare the poor girl??? Yes there may be a 20% chance of death, but that is small compared to the 80% survival rate isn't it?!?

And I am so sorry for the loss of a baby lucy :(

hernebaylooby
08-25-10, 09:57 am
hey thank you they're all doing really well now thank you just so sad for little angel :( i didnt see lissies coment i think it was removed so no idea what it said

hernebaylooby
08-25-10, 09:58 am
hey thank you they're all doing really well now thank you just so sad for little angel :( i didnt see lissies coment i think it was removed so no idea what it said

its ok i know what comment you mean now.

guineapiggirl94
08-25-10, 09:59 am
sorry it was the first answer to your post. Apologies.

VoodooJoint
08-25-10, 01:14 pm
lissie, why are you trying to scare the poor girl??? Yes there may be a 20% chance of death, but that is small compared to the 80% survival rate isn't it?!?
Ummm, I don't consider one chance in five of death to be small.

If someone offered you five candies and told you only one had deadly poison in it and the other 4 were fine, would you eat one? No, I didn't think so. The odds are too great that you would die. Breeding guinea pigs is rather like that except it's not YOUR life you are playing with.

1frankie7
08-25-10, 01:45 pm
rosey has finally had her babies! she gave birth to 4 but sadly 1 passed away :(

I am so sorry about the baby.

How are the rest of them doing? I would love to see pics of the babies when you have some!

Good luck with the babies, remember to separate the males from the rest of them at 3 weeks.

hernebaylooby
08-25-10, 02:22 pm
Ummm, I don't consider one chance in five of death to be small.

If someone offered you five candies and told you only one had deadly poison in it and the other 4 were fine, would you eat one? No, I didn't think so. The odds are too great that you would die. Breeding guinea pigs is rather like that except it's not YOUR life you are playing with.

i dont think they we're suggesting it was a good idea to breed and i know the risks although im a little sik of saying time and time again i didnt not intentionally breed! there were suposedly two males! to be honnest im sick of everytime i come on here having acusations thrown at me. i ame on here for advise and to share my news but ive had it i have never ment such a rude unhelpfull bunch! i will not be comming here again !

hernebaylooby
08-25-10, 02:23 pm
I am so sorry about the baby.

How are the rest of them doing? I would love to see pics of the babies when you have some!

Good luck with the babies, remember to separate the males from the rest of them at 3 weeks.

thank you yes the rest are doing very well and non stop running up and down the cage! they are adorable! x

sdpiggylvr
08-25-10, 03:17 pm
In conjunction with 1frankie7's post,

...remember to separate the males from the rest of them at 3 weeks.

you might want to check out THIS (http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html)and THIS (http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html)regarding sexing the pigs. You will need to promptly separate them by 3 weeks to prevent further pregnancies.

What are you planning to do with the three babies? Will you keep them?

VoodooJoint
08-25-10, 06:01 pm
im sick of everytime i come on here having acusations thrown at me. I didn't accuse YOU of anything. I understand the reasons behind your GP being pregnant. I was addressing a comment a different member made (thus the quote in my original reply).

There was certainly no need to flounce and get dramatic.

blizNwally
08-25-10, 08:58 pm
I don't think lissie is trying to "scare" anyone. I would rather know that that not, she is doing the right thing by saying that, people with pregnant sows need to know what complications and risks there are from birth. I'm very sorry that one of the babies passed away. You need to determine their sex so you can separate them, and not have more babies. Can you explain how we are being rude, and unhelpful. We are telling you what you need to know, I'm pretty sure that's called helping. And we aren't being rude, there is a chance you pig could have died. Good luck to you and your pigs.

Ly&Pigs
08-26-10, 12:37 pm
Can you explain how we are being rude, and unhelpful.Acually, please don't as that will be taking the thread off topic. If anyone has issue with something they need to use the report post function and let us moderators deal with it.

No one is intentionally being rude, attacking, unhelpful, throwing accusations or anything else. These issues need to stop coming up in threads/posts because it's off topic discussion (unless it's a post directly about it in the "You're all so Mean" forum) to the topic. New people coming to the forum who may need the same type of help do not really want to wade through pages of "your rude" or "stop attacking me" types of posts in order to get help. So lets all try very hard to keep all discussions on topic from now on and if you have a complaint about something you can either pm a moderator, report a post or use the proper forum for posting your complaint publicly. Thank you.