Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Abscessed tooth

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
One of my original pigs has been acting very scared and fearful over the past few days. Then today he seemed to be lying sleeping too much, and tonight he did not go crazy over his evening veggies. So, I figured something is hurting him.

Tonight I did a very thorough assessment, and found a scabbed area and small open area under his right chin, and it appears his right lower front tooth is missing or broken? He is mostly black, so it was difficult to see this without good light.

Needless to say, I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning. Has anyone had experience with an abscess or could this be elongated roots?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My old guinea pig Java had an abscess in her mouth last year. Hers caused pressure under her eye and made is bulge out so we sent her off to the vet. He did a wonderful job and drained the abscess and it mostly healed. Her teeth in front were also chipped (not being able to eat properly).

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Quick update. Took Tator to the vet. It was not an abscess from the broken tooth, but fighting wounds. The vet actually believes that he was bitten at least 2 times at his mouth. There was actually a cut inside his mouth as well. So, his tooth probably broke from fighting, but the open area was actually an infected bite. Needless to say, Tator earned himself his own cage. He has always been the bully, and I have seen scuffles with him and his cage mates, but did not realize how much Tator was injured.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Aww poor baby! Atleast its not an abscess! Those things are nasty.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If you have a large enough cage, I wouldn't remove him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.