Doc
http://i26.tinypic.com/o53xat.jpg

Redrum
http://i29.tinypic.com/w0e43.jpg

Doc and Redrum together
http://i26.tinypic.com/5ujuk5.jpg

Catayn
08-03-10, 02:23 pm
Oh my, they are so cute! I love skinny piggies!

skinnypigs
08-03-10, 02:23 pm
So sweet looking!!! Where did you get them?? How old are they?

PrincessAngel
08-03-10, 02:33 pm
Very cute! Everytime I see a skinny pig I think about my girls with no hair and how funny and fat they would look!

Sirene
08-03-10, 02:40 pm
I always think they look like miniature hippos or rhinos! Very cute!

guineapig67
08-03-10, 03:36 pm
I always think they look like miniature hippos or rhinos! Very cute! Me too! I think they are so adorable! I love their faces!

fieryone
08-03-10, 04:47 pm
Very cute. I also have a Doc but his name didn't come from The Shining

LightningPig1
08-03-10, 06:56 pm
So cute! I love skinny pigs.

Catayn
08-03-10, 07:23 pm
Loved the honors to SK. You got the names from one of his best works. I think you'd need another one to call Johnnie! When you introduce them you could say "Here's Johnny". Ok, maybe not. You could scare the poor things.

1frankie7
08-03-10, 07:28 pm
Where did you get them?

Very cute!

GPonnett
08-03-10, 07:38 pm
Very cute! I love skinny pigs.

Kats_Kritters
08-03-10, 07:41 pm
I got them fromXXXXXXXXXXXX - I just picked them up this past weekend (a 12 hour round trip drive). I absolutely adore them. :cheerful:

1frankie7
08-03-10, 07:48 pm
I got them from - I just picked them up this past weekend (a 12 hour round trip drive). I absolutely adore them. :cheerful:

Why did you breed? Is it because you wanted skinny pigs? I think their cute and all, but I would rather have a loving shelter pig.

Is there a reason you didn't want to adopt? Did you know the horrors of breeding/buying when you bought a breeder pig?

Kats_Kritters
08-03-10, 08:20 pm
Why did you breed? Is it because you wanted skinny pigs? I think their cute and all, but I would rather have a loving shelter pig.

Is there a reason you didn't want to adopt? Did you know the horrors of breeding/buying when you bought a breeder pig?

1- I do have a shelter pig as well... I did have 2 shelter pigs but I sadly lost one recently. I am not against shelter pets in any way! And yes, I wanted skinnies.. and I refused to buy from a pet store.

2- This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to post where I got them but I figured... a couple people asked, so I told. I don't want a fight. I didn't go to a pet store. And the breeder I used was well researched and helpful.. not some random backyard breeder who doesn't take care of her animals. She has a well experienced vet, and takes great care of her animals. [she also doesn't sell them to pet stores for resale].

1frankie7
08-03-10, 08:28 pm
You think that a "caviary" Is ANY better than a BYB? I think you are wrong.

Also, they sound like hardly good breeders to me. They are willing to SHIP pigs. SHIP them.

That place in particular just disgusts me.

Paula
08-03-10, 08:44 pm
1- I do have a shelter pig as well... I did have 2 shelter pigs but I sadly lost one recently. I am not against shelter pets in any way! And yes, I wanted skinnies.. and I refused to buy from a pet store.I'm really not sure why people think that adopting one makes any difference whatsoever when they choose to support breeders and contribute to the much bigger problem of overpopulation by buying.

2- This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to post where I got them but I figured... a couple people asked, so I told. I don't want a fight. Oh please, spare me. If you didn't want a fight you wouldn't have answered the question at all, and you most certainly should know better than to proudly walk into a pro-adoption, very much anti-breeder forum and announce that you've done the very thing we strongly advocate against.

I didn't go to a pet store.Yeah, you went to a breeder. You cut out the middle man. What do you want, a prize?

And the breeder I used was well researched and helpful.. not some random backyard breeder who doesn't take care of her animals. She has a well experienced vet, and takes great care of her animals. [she also doesn't sell them to pet stores for resale].Oh, my, that's a laugh. If she's so "well researched" I really have a hard time understanding why she's breeding a breed that is so widely known to have so many health problems.

How much health and genetic testing does she do?

How much genealogy research has she done on the animals she's forcing to mate?

You know, I want a skinny too, but it's more important to me NOT to support breeders and an already vast overpopulation issue and cycle of cruelty than to have what I want.

Biscuit
08-03-10, 10:11 pm
It is my opinion that no "responsible" breeder would be breeding skinny pigs.

blackarrow
08-04-10, 08:09 am
1- I do have a shelter pig as well... I did have 2 shelter pigs but I sadly lost one recently. I am not against shelter pets in any way! And yes, I wanted skinnies.. and I refused to buy from a pet store. You sure aren't against shelter pigs! In fact you did a good bit to keep shelters full of them by buying from this extremely high-volume breeder.

2- This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to post where I got them but I figured... a couple people asked, so I told. I don't want a fight. You poor thing, getting chewed out for brazenly bragging about your breeder-purchased pigs on an anti-breeding web site! That must be a really unpleasant surprise for you!

I didn't go to a pet store. And the breeder I used was well researched and helpful.. not some random backyard breeder who doesn't take care of her animals. She has a well experienced vet, and takes great care of her animals. [she also doesn't sell them to pet stores for resale]. Congratulations on not going to a pet store. I don't know why your breeder WOULD sell them to pet stores, of course, considering the killing she's obviously making selling them to folks directly. I particularly appreciated how, if you buy three or more, she'll toss in one or more random breeding boar so you too can have your own cottage industry churning out guinea pigs with known health issues. I wonder if it should surprise me, if she knows about the health issues that they have like you say, that there's absolutely no mention of any of them on the glossy web site?

rabbitsncavyluv
08-04-10, 01:30 pm
Yeah I pegged this from the title alone ... you drove 12 hours to buy pigs from a breeder but couldn't bother to rescue.

brindyzoeycandy
08-04-10, 05:15 pm
2- This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to post where I got them but I figured... a couple people asked, so I told. I don't want a fight. I didn't go to a pet store. And the breeder I used was well researched and helpful.. not some random backyard breeder who doesn't take care of her animals. She has a well experienced vet, and takes great care of her animals. [she also doesn't sell them to pet stores for resale].

If she was "experienced" then she wouldn't be breeding, period. Even the most "experienced" breeder can have health defects, have the sow die, and they are still the cause of all the pets in the shelter.

If you didn't want a fight, then you shouldn't have bought from a breeder, and/or actually say you did on a pro-rescue, anti-breeding forum.

Biscuit
08-04-10, 05:23 pm
I don't understand why people don't just lie. I would totally lie if I didn't want to fight. It's just random people on the internet. :troll1:

(That thing doesn't look as much like a troll as it could)

VoodooJoint
08-04-10, 07:19 pm
I don't understand why people don't just lie. I would totally lie if I didn't want to fight. It's just random people on the internet. Creating a pattern of lying causes poor moral character and a rather pathetic existence.

If one is so ashamed and embarrassed by their actions or suspects that what they have done is wrong and considers lying to be a valid response they they had better do some serious soul searching and start changing their ways.

I cannot abide liars.

Cogni
08-04-10, 08:24 pm
I am sad for the pigs; mad at the breeders, especially those who would continue this particular breed, which should not have been bred in the first place however cute the piggies are; and disappointed and generally bummed by the people who buy from the breeders, as they either can't or won't understand what harm they are contributing to. Wonder how many 'imperfect' skinny pigs have to die every year, how many of the backbred sows don't make it, and how many 'perfect' skinnies end up in shelters and gas chambers, once the money changes hands.

Sirene
08-04-10, 08:55 pm
I am sad for the pigs; mad at the breeders, especially those who would continue this particular breed, which should not have been bred in the first place however cute the piggies are; and disappointed and generally bummed by the people who buy from the breeders, as they either can't or won't understand what harm they are contributing to. Wonder how many 'imperfect' skinny pigs have to die every year, how many of the backbred sows don't make it, and how many 'perfect' skinnies end up in shelters and gas chambers, once the money changes hands.

Cute as they are, I couldn't agree more.

Biscuit
08-05-10, 11:42 am
I did not mean to encourage lying, that part of the post was sarcastic/joking. Hence the funny troll guy. I incorrectly assumed "you guys should LIE!" would not be taken as serious advise. But oh well. A friend once told me "Kay, you either need to change your personality or accept that it won't always be liked or understood." I never accomplished either, and not for lack of trying. It's not very fun.

HOWEVER...people DO lie, and they lie constantly, particularly on the internet, particularly in situations such as this. I spent quite some time studying lying, detecting lies, manipulation in general, and all the tiny ways people gain approval and avoid disapproval without even consciously grasping it. Studying internet culture, (primarily with respect to online gaming communities in their earlier days) and interviewing those who study it in far more depth than me, showed that within distinct communities with their own ethical mores and "rules", lies were not even regarded by the person telling them as a break in their normal aversion to deception.

GIVEN all that, it seems that more people would lie. But I suppose they don't want to fit in, have an angry disagreement with our views from the beginning. I suspect they want to argue about it from the moment they post the thread, knowing someone will ask.

Our views anger and even envoke guilt for the purchase of their pigs for selfish reasons, and expressing their disagreement with them is fighting that guilt.

Hmm, I digress. Sorry!

sarahspins
08-05-10, 12:17 pm
Biscuit, I read your other post assuming it was in jest - so I don't think everyone took it the wrong way, but I can see how it would have been easy to misunderstand :)

I pretty much agree with most of the sentiment in the replies.. knowing this is not a breeding-friendly forum, why even come and boast about acquiring two piggies from a breeder and driving 12 hours to do so? That just does NOT make sense... unless they actually wanted to start some drama... I mean, otherwise, why say anything at all? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Honestly, I hadn't lurked very long before I joined and posted, and I was worried that adopting my piggies off of Craigslist would be frowned upon.. the initial vibe I got from skimming over the forum was "adopt from a rescue". I realize now that where I got mine isn't a problem - they're living a better life now than they were just over a week ago, but I honestly can't fathom getting pigs from a breeder... or doing so and posting at what lengths I went to in order to do so.

Paula
08-05-10, 12:55 pm
HOWEVER...people DO lie, and they lie constantly, particularly on the internet, particularly in situations such as this.I actually think there are quite a number of people that lie about quite a large number of things on this forum and other internet venues every day. I understood your point and certainly can agree with the notion that if this particular poster genuinely wasn't "looking for a fight" she could and would likely have simply omitted the information or lied about the true origin of these particular pigs. Instead, she opted not only to say -- loudly and proudly -- that she got her pigs from a breeder, but to link to the breeders' site and thereby advertise for her. Your point that she most certainly WAS looking for a fight wasn't lost on me.

That said, of course, we can't encourage people to lie about where they've gotten their pigs TO avoid a fight, either.

All told and looking back, it rather seems to me that the actual lie in this situation was that the OP wasn't looking for a fight - because rather than simply refusing to share where she got the pigs or opt to make up some sort of bogus story, she shared that they were breeder pigs and happily chose to post a link to the breeder site. Rather ironic, wouldn't you agree?